onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Oldham Athletic v Port Vale

Doha

4 hours ago, toyahw said:

No need to panic. I just don't think we are as good as we think we are. Today was a terrible capitulation against a rubbish team. 

I agree. We’ve demonstrated several times already this season that we’re quite capable of capitulating against anyone in this league in the last 10 mins when they start lobbing balls into the box irrespective of how much lovely, controlled football we’ve played in the previous 80 mins. 

The 3 CB system will always mean you get crosses into the box because you don’t have players in the full back areas to stop the crosses coming in. If we can’t deal with them when they come in then we have to ask whether this really is the right system for us because that how teams are/will target us and we’ve dropped 5 points in the last two games alone as a result. 

Advert

Some people definitely have their blinkers on over Legge and Martin. Sure, Martin wasn’t great today, but it was Legge who completely left his man for the free header for the second goal. And as for the own goal, it’s a shocker and a sickener since it was going out for a goal kick, but it’s a defender’s instinct to try and block the ball so I can’t be too critical of that.

I think we’ll play worse than yesterday and win. Before the game I thought we may struggle to score without Wilson and Proctor but the bigger miss was Smith. Martin was a liability he lost their number six for the first goal whilst his distribution wasn’t good all afternoon. The OG just but the tin hat on a really poor performance. Hopefully DC will learn also, that’s twice (Sutton as well) he’s brought on a central defender late on and twice we’ve conceded two late goals after and lost. We were well on top until Garrity, Worrell and Amoo came off and looked likely we’d score a clincher.

Yesterday was so frustrating as we did really deserve to lose in one respect but on the other hand you can’t expect to win a game if you concede three.

We need 4/6 pts now in our home games to regain our momentum.

2 minutes ago, soothsayer said:

I think we’ll play worse than yesterday and win. Before the game I thought we may struggle to score without Wilson and Proctor but the bigger miss was Smith. Martin was a liability he lost their number six for the first goal whilst his distribution was good all afternoon. The OG just but the tin hat on a really poor performance. Hopefully DC will learn also, that’s twice (Sutton as well) he’s brought on a central defender late on and twice we’ve conceded two late goals after and lost. We were well on top until Garrity, Worrell and Amoo came off and looked likely we’d score a clincher.

Yesterday was so frustrating as we did really deserve to lose in one respect but on the other hand you can’t expect to win a game if you concede three.

We need 4/6 pts now in our home games to regain our momentum.

Also thought the substitutions were baffling especially as we were on top can’t believe he kept Rodney on and took amoo off he was running em wragged second half 

A game we should have won.Poor defending has cost us.Two free headers for their first and an inability to clear for their 2nd and 3rd.Surprised Amoo was taken off.Their left back didn’t know where his arse or his elbow was.I thought Rodders had a decent game.Gibbo was outstanding coming forward.6 points this coming week and it will be forgotten about.

9 hours ago, dazzerjames said:

And then probably not create chances.. we scored 2 away from home .. without the 2 best forwards ..

Why? Swaping Walker for Garrity for certain games wouldn't mean we suddenly create less as a team. The vast majority of our chances are created by the full-backs and Conlon.

9 hours ago, toyahw said:

No need to panic. I just don't think we are as good as we think we are. Today was a terrible capitulation against a rubbish team. 

Thought there were no false positions after this many games?????

Make your mind up!

PLS (post loss syndrome in full flow)

Although we again threw away points to an inferior team we are still far, far better than most in this Division.  We need to be patient. This is Division 2 after all and if we were to outplay and outscore every team then..........

I'm as frustrated as any Valiant but on our day and there will be so many more of them, we are capable of getting promotion. 

1 hour ago, Howjy04 said:

A game we should have won.Poor defending has cost us.Two free headers for their first and an inability to clear for their 2nd and 3rd.Surprised Amoo was taken off.Their left back didn’t know where his arse or his elbow was.I thought Rodders had a decent game.Gibbo was outstanding coming forward.6 points this coming week and it will be forgotten about.

Gibbo could be our top scorer if he carries on like he is

After sleeping on it. Despondent no disappointed yes I thought after putting a few bogeys to bed we would be up for this! but no reverted to type big crowd epic fail . You would have thought that after a week off and them playing Tuesday we would have had more energy. All teams now are just going to lump high balls into the box knowing we cannot defend them for toffee. It’s got to be hammered home we are not good enough to just turn up we all need to be at 7 or 8 out of 10 yesterday there were far to many 5 ! Must do better! 

Like to think I try to be balanced and not knee jerk. 

Still feeling numb, bemused and dumbfounded at losing that game.

Think it was Darren1810 the other day who said that Legge had got better and better and turned into Maldini in his absence, despite us yet to win a game this season when he's featured ! Everyone cried out that lack of height cost us at Sutton but it's more defensive acumen than necessarily height. Cass inexplicably seemed to keep the ball in for the equaliser ? 

There's definitely a case for Walker coming on rather than a defender if we are hanging on. Steel up the midfield and stop attacks further up the field instead of inviting pressure. 

We've now lost 15 points from winning positions. That simply cannot continue. 

Wilson or Proctor on we win that game as we'd of been 3 or 4-1 up. Attacking positional sense is not one of Rodney's best features. 

We can't keep saying it's one of those days. It has to be addressed now. 

I'd actually go to a back 4 myself and controversial here I'd have Benning in a flat back 4 with Gibbo as right back. 

Oldham were absolutely appalling there is no excuse whatsoever for the collapse. 

A huge opportunity missed and this is where DC earns his coin as our upcoming away run in particular is very difficult. 

Onto Tuesday. 

4 minutes ago, onestepatatime said:

By the way am I the only one to believe Garrity had a good game? I felt his running and urgency was sadly missed when he went off.

I spoke to a couple of Oldham fans on the way out and they felt he was one of our better players. 

He was outstanding first half breaking up play and setting up attacks. He must of had a knock surely ? 

Having been disappointed with the result which was created by ourselves. I wasn’t over pleased with the substitutions as I thought this was a game changer. I gave my thoughts to the man in front of me who claimed DC had done it to control the game and defend our lead. I’m a big believer in,if it’s not broken, then don’t try to fix it. I’m wondering if DC had one eye on Tuesdays game, which he’ll want to win at all costs. Anyway the point I want to make is about Rodney. He moved out to the right wing for the last ten minutes and he got round their left back very easily on a couple of occasions. Perhaps this is his better position just need to work on his distribution.

10 hours ago, toyahw said:

Am I the only one who gets annoyed with people saying "get a grip"?  We just chucked three points away by defending like clowns against a toss team.

I think it's more the 'extrapolate out from this game to form conclusions' whilst ignoring the fact we're third in the table, coming off great form, and doing very well.

Yesterday, ala Sutton, was infuriating as we should have won and threw the game away. Fans came onto OVF decrying the defence and predicting difficult times.

We then went 7 unbeaten, winning 5, regularly scoring 3/4/5 and DC was manager of the month for the second month in a row.

I think people aren't saying 'get a grip, yesterday was good', more that 'get a grip, yesterday was bad but we're a good team coming off an unsustainably good run of form and sometimes things in football go against you'. The concept that we'd maintain a run of 1 defeat in 12 for much longer is naive and eventually luck goes against you, as with Martin hammering the ball into his own net.

That's how I read it. 2 defeats in 13 doesn't warrant some of the reaction on here. The manner of defeat wound people up into overreaction. Undoubtedly we need to tighten up. Needs to be put right on Tuesday. Until then, chill.

Archived