onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Oldham Athletic v Port Vale

Doha

Advert

I do think the defensive frailty relates to the attacking menace. We have Worrall, Cass and Gibbons bombing forward and need to outscore the opposition. If you’re vulnerable to crosses stop them at source with boring, in position fullbacks. I know Worrall was subbed today but sometimes those substitutions more upset the balance than improve the defence at later stages of a game. It’s a price worth paying when we do outscore or demoralise the opposition which up to now has been the norm. So, little picture big? I’m happy.

Just now, tommytunstall said:

Sorry did not mean to be disrespectful 

I didn’t take it as being disrespectful, I took it as how poorly our central defence performed today. Oldham didn’t appear to be an overly tall team either. There centre midfielder, centre back and goal keeper are tall, so I struggle to comprehend how we perform so badly with crossed balls.

41 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

I would suggest that list contains some of the best keepers in our league… so they can’t be that bad a guide.

They need to be taken with some context but they are certainly not “absolutely meaningless”

The list contains some of the worst teams in the league. It's ONLY means the keeper has faced more opportunities to make a save. Not that he is any good.

The formula to calculate goal prevention is nonsense which is why its meaningless.

20 minutes ago, MBE said:

The list contains some of the worst teams in the league. It's ONLY means the keeper has faced more opportunities to make a save. Not that he is any good.

The formula to calculate goal prevention is nonsense which is why its meaningless.

Colchester are the only team on that list that could be classified as one of the worst teams in the league… and they RAVE about George and claim that without him they would have been dead and buried already.

He’s a good keeper. 

Of the other teams Tranmere, Orient, Swindon and Hartlepool are not “the worst teams in the league”… the contrary infact.

That leaves Salford… Tom King is someone a few on here were touting as a good signing for us and is a good keeper.

And that leaves Mansfield. I don’t know lots and lots about Bishop. But he is in good company in that list.

I get your point, but 7 clean sheets certainly shows Covolan is doing well (let’s not forget the meltdown about how poor our defence is on here tonight), total saves also backs that up for a team 3rd in the league.

You can attack Prevented goals for its loose interpretation… but it’s certainly not “absolutely meaningless”

UTV

29 minutes ago, MBE said:

There are also a lot of keepers from the worst sides in the league who are not on that list.

The keepers of 4 of the 5 bottom teams don’t appear.

6 of the bottom 7.

9 in the bottom 12 (aka bottom half of the table)

Not sure that particular point of yours stands.

6th in the league for prevented goals. 3rd for saves out of the top performing keepers. 2nd for clean sheets.

Albeit before today’s game… that said he did make some decent saves today too. 
Fair enough.

Just feels like I see a lot of goals Vale concede and think "keeper could have done better".

Off the top of my head, Barrows freekick, Crawley header, Mansfield away felt like this.

Only a question mark though, not a witch hunt.

Problems lie at CB for me. Johnson was such a strange one. Played so well in the league below, good size, 5 goals last season, good age to develop but just hasn't got going for some reason.

Still confused after that game. I actually came away from the game being happy with how we performed. They were barely in the game (second half especially) but somehow they’ve scored three goals from set pieces / crosses and we’ve managed to lose the game. 

We spent the entirety of the game singing ‘EE I EE I EE O up the football league we go’ because we dominated and were on course for a convincing win. The atmosphere was brilliant because we were on top and playing well. 

We really need to start getting that next goal after we’ve scored to kill the game. There was need for it to be 1-1 at half time and it should have been 3-1. We needed to score again in that period just after Gibbons scored. That game could have easily ended 4-1 to us. 

20 minutes ago, valeparklife said:

Fair enough.

Just feels like I see a lot of goals Vale concede and think "keeper could have done better".

Off the top of my head, Barrows freekick, Crawley header, Mansfield away felt like this.

Only a question mark though, not a witch hunt.

Problems lie at CB for me. Johnson was such a strange one. Played so well in the league below, good size, 5 goals last season, good age to develop but just hasn't got going for some reason.

Maybe time to try him if we are to persist with this back 5. He looked way of the pace when I saw him earlier in the season, but I can’t say that Martin or cass are looking overly good either at the moment. 

16 minutes ago, toyahw said:

Cov had a good game today. Rodders was alright, not his fault we can't defend.  We somehow contrived to throw that game away. I'm still scratching my head as to how.

It's his fault he only has one goal this season so far though. Hopefully one will go in off his considerable sized arse sooner rather than later and get him going a bit.

Very disappointed with todays result, the only consolation I can come up with is we are scoring goals, which can be a difficult to coach into a side, so it's down to DC to work on the defence an easier job in my opinion, good sides build from the back, so it's up to the gaffer to come up with winning formula but I'm sure he doesn't need me to tell him that.

Literally an hour after FT after we embarrassed L1 Stanley 5-1, Clarke was hosting an in depth full on training staff meeting for the meaningless Liverpool U21s game.

I have no doubt he'll be doing tactical prep for Smallsall this very second.

Perfect game for a merciless strong response after today...

Archived