onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Oldham Athletic v Port Vale

Doha

6 minutes ago, valeparklife said:

Let's remember where we were last season.

We're doing fine, as gutting as this result is today.

Our recruitment on the whole has been the best it's been for years, but I've got serious concerns with our CBs and a minor concern with the GK.

Martin and Johnson just don't look right. And I'd like to see Covolan's shot to save ratio as it seems like most shots he faces tend to go in?

We absolutely need a big 6'4 rough CB in January. A head it kick it type.

6th in the league for prevented goals. 3rd for saves out of the top performing keepers. 2nd for clean sheets.

Albeit before today’s game… that said he did make some decent saves today too. 

Advert

3 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

6th in the league for prevented goals. 3rd for saves out of the top performing keepers. 2nd for clean sheets.

Albeit before today’s game… that said he did make some decent saves today too. 

This kind of formula stat's for GK's are absolutely meaningless.  

If OVF is a decent bellweather then I'm going to give that facebook group a wide berth as the sky is falling in histrionics will be off the scale. 

The most shocking thing for me today is I actually agreed with Carl on P&G, who was very level headed and unemotional.

If I can say one definitive, emotional thing - the first goal was completely unacceptable. There's falling asleep and then there's that unmarked free header. I genuinely expect school kids to defend better than that. Lapse in concentration, tactical misunderstanding or miscommunication, whatever it was, that cannot happen again, ever. It will be a long time before Keillor Dunn has an opportunity as comically easy as that again in a professional match.  

13 minutes ago, eh up nah said:

Awful result, should never be losing there.

Threw it away though, looked absolutely in control at 2.1

Had we scored that third we probably would have won 4 or 5. We're clearly miles better than them. Oldham fans won't try to say anything different. But isn't it ultimately a big reason why we all love football, that these results can happen for us all? If nothing else Oldham hung in there, gritted there teeth when they were getting a bit of a footballing lesson and in the end got something they didn't deserve. But fair <ovf censored> to them. They showed more balls than we did today and it was enough to get them the three points.

18 minutes ago, MBE said:

This kind of formula stat's for GK's are absolutely meaningless.  

I would suggest that list contains some of the best keepers in our league… so they can’t be that bad a guide.

They need to be taken with some context but they are certainly not “absolutely meaningless”

From Oldham forum: 

Bizzare game. Vale into us quickly and physically and as expected score from a move out wide and cross into the box. 

We equalise and the stop start nature of the first half stops Vale building pressure. 

2nd half they pile pressure down the flanks score and create more chances.

Then at the end we use pidge in the air and they fall to pieces from set plays again... Never seen a team so weak in the air.. 

2 minutes ago, osprey said:

From Oldham forum: 

Bizzare game. Vale into us quickly and physically and as expected score from a move out wide and cross into the box. 

We equalise and the stop start nature of the first half stops Vale building pressure. 

Then at the end we use pidge in the air and they fall to pieces from set plays again... Never seen a team so weak in the air.. 

Seems to say  everything that everyone knows....hello process?

3 minutes ago, Aguar61 said:

Seems to say  everything that everyone knows....hello process?

Just watched the highlights. Our defence would not hold up in the Half Holiday league. It’s ok saying it’s one result, it’s more like 4 matches we have been targeted, and beaten by high balls. Let’s hope something triggers a change this time.

3 minutes ago, osprey said:

From Oldham forum: 

Spot on from them - and the secret's out: aerial bombardment and the free-flowing Vale fall to pieces. To be honest, I've almost stopped wanting us to play attractive football and simply find the way to win. I don't think I care any longer if we kick teams off the pitch - goodness knows, it happens to us enough - as long as we take the three points. Ugly, hard and winners.

Any chance of a central spine of players like McCombe, Purse, Griff, Porter and Mills? We need to be as ruthless on the pitch as DC was off it in the close season. We've been in this bear pit of a league for five seasons and we need to get out, whatever it takes. 

Starting Tuesday.

19 minutes ago, osprey said:

From Oldham forum: 

He's pretty much bang on.

We do play some lovely stuff at times though. Even in such dissapointing defeats it's important to remember the shower we've all endured season after season in recent years. This team is generally a joy to watch, we just need to also toughen up a bit and stop giving such soft goals away.

13 minutes ago, tommytunstall said:

Just watched the highlights. Our defence would not hold up in the Half Holiday league. It’s ok saying it’s one result, it’s more like 4 matches we have been targeted, and beaten by high balls. Let’s hope something triggers a change this time.

There were some good players in that half holiday league, that played Thursday afternoons

Archived