onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Oldham Athletic v Port Vale

Doha

1 minute ago, Beech said:

I actually do! I use those words all the time. I suppose for some people it can come across as being extremely arsey, especially on a forum, so I'll make more of a mental note of it and try harder not to use them.

Cheers duck👍 have a good evening.

Advert

Well what a disappointment that was.

I thought we played quite well bar a 15 minute spell in each half. We controlled the game well but if you don't take chances and finish teams off they are always going to have 5 or 10 mins when they put you under pressure. We just didn't stand up to it.

Very very weak defending balls in our box. It looked like panic stations each time the ball was launched in to our area. The 2nd phase of the play in our box is nowhere near good enough and is worrying trend. 

For me the game should have been over after 65 mins and we really should have been 4 or 5 goals up and we win that game comfortably. I'd like to think this result gives the players a bit of a wake up call. Teams going for promotion cannot capitulate away from home when balls are launched in the box.

Amoo MOTM I thought he was tremendous today and fully deserved hi standing ovation as he walked around the pitch when subbed.

The wheels have not nor will not fall off. Our basic game is good, the football we play is good. We have lost our two best strikers and the back up is not clinical enough. Same would happen with any other side in our league. Beginning of the season Legge & Smithy were immense, again back up is suspect. Let’s get to Xmas in contention then the real work starts, as the old saying goes it is a marathon not a sprint. We need to cut out the schoolboy errors and hope our injuries clear for post Xmas run in. Thanks to the feel good factor that Carol has created, it shouldn’t be difficult recruiting in the January window.

10 minutes ago, ollyandpatch said:
Just back. Please tell me I fell and hit my head after we scored the second because somebody just told me we lost???.
How did we not win 4 or 5?  Just a bizzare result. Gutted. !

Totally agree with ollyandpatch. First 20 minutes or so of the 2nd half we ought to have scored 5 or 6 but instead we sit back and mess about. Simply we have to secure a commanding centre half to come in and play alongside Smithy. We do have a good base of a squad but we may be kidding ourselves that we are too good for Division 2 if we cannot beat the likes of Oldham. More heartache to come, me fears although hopefully the matrix can kick a few bums and prize out some wins again.  Not doom and gloom from me as I'm usually ultra balanced concerning Vale. I'm  just a tad concerned at the softness we display now and then. Important few games ahead to get back on keel. Finally, why oh why do Vale consistently fail to deliver in front of huge Valiant support?  

First away match for sometime, very disappointing just not at it ! How to beat Port Vale lump high balls into the box you will score every time. Apart Gibbo nobody deserved more than 5 out of 10 . We will need to play much better with a little more effort.

Let's remember where we were last season.

We're doing fine, as gutting as this result is today.

Our recruitment on the whole has been the best it's been for years, but I've got serious concerns with our CBs and a minor concern with the GK.

Martin and Johnson just don't look right. And I'd like to see Covolan's shot to save ratio as it seems like most shots he faces tend to go in?

We absolutely need a big 6'4 rough CB in January. A head it kick it type.

8 minutes ago, jeffers said:

The wheels have not nor will not fall off. Our basic game is good, the football we play is good. We have lost our two best strikers and the back up is not clinical enough. Same would happen with any other side in our league. Beginning of the season Legge & Smithy were immense, again back up is suspect. Let’s get to Xmas in contention then the real work starts, as the old saying goes it is a marathon not a sprint. We need to cut out the schoolboy errors and hope our injuries clear for post Xmas run in. Thanks to the feel good factor that Carol has created, it shouldn’t be difficult recruiting in the January window.

Great post

10 minutes ago, onestepatatime said:

Totally agree with ollyandpatch. First 20 minutes or so of the 2nd half we ought to have scored 5 or 6 but instead we sit back and mess about. Simply we have to secure a commanding centre half to come in and play alongside Smithy. We do have a good base of a squad but we may be kidding ourselves that we are too good for Division 2 if we cannot beat the likes of Oldham. More heartache to come, me fears although hopefully the matrix can kick a few bums and prize out some wins again.  Not doom and gloom from me as I'm usually ultra balanced concerning Vale. I'm  just a tad concerned at the softness we display now and then. Important few games ahead to get back on keel. Finally, why oh why do Vale consistently fail to deliver in front of huge Valiant support?  

I think we're a bit soft as a team. I said a few weeks ago, our midfield is great in regards to a lot of things, but we're missing a destroyer in the middle when we play with Garrity, Pett and Conlon. Walker should be that guy but he's hardly shone so far for various reasons. We need a nasty bastard, an Anthony Griffith type, especially when playing away from home against a bunch of barbarians. We need a bit more dog in the team at times.

45 minutes ago, CambridgeDon said:

Yes - and many of us will remember Micky bringing in Darren Purse in the January when John McCombe was ruled out for several weeks with a bad injury. Signing of the season if you ask me, our defence looked so solid in the run-in, and one of the main reasons we kept up our promotion challenge. THAT's exactly the sort of signing we need now and, imho, we need to think about moving to a back four so that we can get the best out of Smudger alongside a big seasoned centre-back who is going to dominate opposing forwards. 

We've got the midfield and forwards to go up but, boy, do we need to shore up at the back.

In the meantime, DC needs to get a grip of this, starting on Tuesday.

excellent summary/comment

1 minute ago, valeparklife said:

Let's remember where we were last season.

We're doing fine, as gutting as this result is today.

Our recruitment on the whole has been the best it's been for years, but I've got serious concerns with our CBs and a minor concern with the GK.

Martin and Johnson just don't look right. And I'd like to see Covolan's shot to save ratio as it seems like most shots he faces tend to go in?

We absolutely need a big 6'4 rough CB in January. A head it kick it type

A clone of Boom Boom  John Mcombe would be ideal if scientifically available

1 minute ago, Beech said:

I think we're a bit soft as a team. I said a few weeks ago, our midfield is great in regards to a lot of things, but we're missing a destroyer in the middle when we play with Garrity, Pett and Conlon. Walker should be that guy but he's hardly shone so far for various reasons. We need a nasty bastard, an Anthony Griffith type, especially when playing away from home against a bunch of barbarians. 

lets hope we win on tues, or else santa wont be the only one going down the chimney!

46 minutes ago, Breadwinner said:

We are taking Garrity and Amoo off gamely and it's costing us Garrity off Amoo off 1-0 up v Bradford not looking in any trouble whatsoever draw 1-1 and need a great save from Covalan to draw turning it around the post 2-1 up possession wise milesthe better side take Garrity and Amoo off and Worrall and end up losing 3-2
LEAVE Garrity on take someone else off and leave Amoo on .

Garrity went off injured.

Archived