Match Thread: Oldham Athletic v Port Vale

Doha

20 hours ago, Joe B said:

It'll be:

Lucas

Cass Martin Jones

Worrall Pett Conlon Gibbons

Amoo Rodney Politic

Changed my mind. Clarke will go 352 with Garrity/Walker, Pett, and Conlon, and then Amoo and Rodney up top.

He'll switch to the above 343 if things are tight.

Advert

1 hour ago, Joe B said:

Changed my mind. Clarke will go 352 with Garrity/Walker, Pett, and Conlon, and then Amoo and Rodney up top.

Well, on paper, that looks a pretty potent pairing to me!

I'm always surprised how quickly we want to move away from a system which has served us so well.... and we signed Lloyd as cover for a central striker so surely he should be the player to get a first chance at it in an unchanged formation i.e. as part of a front 2. If he doesn't get in the  team now with 2 central strikers ruled out he may as well be sent back !

The other issue is if you don't start with Lloyd then by process of elimination we would be starting with at least 2 of Amoo, Rodney or  Politic none of whom can last a full game..... that leaves the manager with a problem because he will automatically be making 2 subs  after 50 - 60 mins which restricts his options for changing things if we aren't going well or if there's injuries elsewhere in the team.

It should be a cracking game but it will be tough, typically league 2, we have to be physical and come out on top.

28 minutes ago, Bob Newtonian said:

Im always surprised how quickly we want to move away from a system which has served us so well.... and we signed Lloyd as cover for a central striker so surely he should be the player to get a first chance at it in an unchanged formation i.e. as part of a front 2. If he doesn't get in the  team now with 2 central strikers ruled out he may as well be sent back !

It depends how attacking Clarke wants to start the game and where he sees Oldhams weaknesses. Not necessarily about ditching a system that works - its the old horses for courses analogy. We played three up top against Colchester and mauled them.

I wouldn't be surprised if we went 343 or 532 against Oldham given who we have available for selection and there are valid arguments for both.

I think even now we are flexible enough that the front 2 could be any from Lloyd, Rodney or Amoo, Front 3 you could add Politic and Wozza to the mix as well.

Given the circumstances, I would like to see LLoyd be given more opportunity to show what he can do now,  he looks like he will improve with more match sharpness to me and he generally gets free kicks for us in and around the box as he is so tenacious. It took JW a while to start looking his best. On JW I'm Gutted for the lad  😞he has given everything when he has been on the pitch for us and looked a class act, he has had lots of stick over recent years and been through some tough times and has turned a corner, looking like he has been loving his football  -  he'll still be a big player this season for us and hopefully well beyond!

6 hours ago, Joe B said:

I think Amoo and Rodney up top would be quite interesting, I just hate the idea of having a depleted attacking element but still having nowhere to start for Dennis. He has to play for me, especially since he may leave in January.

Who would the majority go with
Legge or Martin or both for tomoz .
Remember we are the away side .
1750 away followers .
Up front Amoo will stretch them or could and would you start with Amoo Politic and Rodney and go for it .
Let's hope the team selected are brave and do what they are good at ATTACKING.
DC has had a week with them that's usually a good omen and he as had more time work with them on shape formation and Oldhams weaknesses .
Hope the away following has a terrific day and the 3 points head back to Burslem.
Let's hope the performance is right then the result will look after itself.
UTV

22 hours ago, robf said:

To be honest, I think it will be a different situation by January. Proctor was supposed to miss three weeks and is back in training, which means he may be back next week. Perhaps not the Walsall game but perhaps the Hartlepool one. So, unless we pick up another injury / Politic is recalled we'd only be missing James Wilson in January. If he is eight weeks out then he'd be due back mid to late Jan. So by the end of the transfer window we're likely to be back to full strength upfront anyhow - and with squad limits there would be no need to add anyone.

So, it's probably the next 2 or 3 games (until Proctor is fit again) that are probably the toughest to get through.

If we get a decent free agent striker (which I would imagine would be a tough ask) then I presume someone will have to be deregistered and any free agent probably won't be match fit to start games anyhow. I think it's unlikely personally. 

I suspect we may have to just soldier on with a forward line selected from Lloyd, Amoo, Rodney and Politic until Proctor returns. We could always throw big Leon on in the "targetman" role for the closing minutes if we're looking for a winner.

I didn't know Proctor was close to coming back and if he is and can remain fit that rather negates the need for a "Free Agent striker" or perhaps a Jan. signing. Where I'm coming from is an automatic play-off spot is a real possibility this season and I would hate to see Vale lose out due to longer injury to key players.

This situation is gonna be an interesting puzzle for DC/AC.

16 minutes ago, Breadwinner said:

Who would the majority go with
Legge or Martin or both for tomoz .
Remember we are the away side .
1750 away followers .
Up front Amoo will stretch them or could and would you start with Amoo Politic and Rodney and go for it .
Let's hope the team selected are brave and do what they are good at ATTACKING.
DC has had a week with them that's usually a good omen and he as had more time work with them on shape formation and Oldhams weaknesses .
Hope the away following has a terrific day and the 3 points head back to Burslem.
Let's hope the performance is right then the result will look after itself.
UTV

Martin will play tomorrow. 

Archived