onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Oldham Athletic v Port Vale

Doha

2 minutes ago, robf said:

The worrying thing for me is that Rodney also has injury issues. He has a persistent heel problem and I do think (in his defence) having that hasn't helped his form this season. 

However, if the club are managing him, it's possible they don't want to overplay him and cause anything worse.

Eden Bailey is also out with an ankle injury at the moment too. So, we are a bit down to the bare bones upfront. 

And the other youth striker who is very decent, Kamani McFarlane, is also injured.  I'm taking me boots Saturday just in case.

Advert

Really disappointed for Wilson, I think he's really started to show his class but next man up.

Time for Rodders to show what he is all about. 

I would  go with a front 3 of Politic,Rodders and Wozzza switching Gibbo to the right in a 343 formation and bring Benning back in. I think Politic and Benning seem to have a good understanding when they play together.

My team would be Cov,Cass,Martin,Jones,Gibbo,Conlon,Pett,Benning,Wozza,Rodders,Politic.

With Amoo and Lloyd to come on for tiring legs still looks like a team capable of winning games.

Hopefully Proc can be back before long. I'm sure DC already has a target for him to play in.

I’d play Amoo down the middle with Politic and Rodney off him. Amoo can hold the ball up better than the other two and I think that will be our issue. Rodney isn’t good enough with his back to goal yet and Politic offers more when running with the ball from deep. 

The only issue with that is we can only play two central midfielders and I can’t see Clarke going with that away from home. 

It will probably be Amoo and Rodney as a front two. 

I just think we have to find a way to play Poltic, especially with Wilson and Proctor missing. 

For me it's signing an out of contract striker if there's one "Ready to go and proven" which is a big ask. Failing that, signing someone in the Jan transfer window and in the mean time trying to find a system/combination of Lloyd and/or Rodney and/or Politic which works.

For both strikers to be out at the same time is real bad luck for Vale and real bad luck for each player as both had started to find their feet, play well and score goals in a Vale shirt. It's not just the time to recover from injury and get fit but the additional time to get match fit.

18 minutes ago, SuperHuman said:

I’d play Amoo down the middle with Politic and Rodney off him. Amoo can hold the ball up better than the other two and I think that will be our issue. Rodney isn’t good enough with his back to goal yet and Politic offers more when running with the ball from deep. 

The only issue with that is we can only play two central midfielders and I can’t see Clarke going with that away from home. 

It will probably be Amoo and Rodney as a front two. 

I just think we have to find a way to play Poltic, especially with Wilson and Proctor missing. 

Totally agree with this.  Amoo must play and you’d have to think, in the current system, it’ll be Rod or Dennis the Menace alongside him, Lloyd not showing enough of a goal threat for me , although you could easily say that about Rodney.  I’d go with Rod as personally I think he would benefit from a run of games, just as Wilson has.

The other worry is that both Rodney and Politic are less than fully fit, so we have to be careful with both whilst being patient with Proctor.

1 hour ago, Paul6754 said:

For me it's signing an out of contract striker if there's one "Ready to go and proven" which is a big ask. Failing that, signing someone in the Jan transfer window and in the mean time trying to find a system/combination of Lloyd and/or Rodney and/or Politic which works.

To be honest, I think it will be a different situation by January. Proctor was supposed to miss three weeks and is back in training, which means he may be back next week. Perhaps not the Walsall game but perhaps the Hartlepool one. So, unless we pick up another injury / Politic is recalled we'd only be missing James Wilson in January. If he is eight weeks out then he'd be due back mid to late Jan. So by the end of the transfer window we're likely to be back to full strength upfront anyhow - and with squad limits there would be no need to add anyone.

So, it's probably the next 2 or 3 games (until Proctor is fit again) that are probably the toughest to get through.

If we get a decent free agent striker (which I would imagine would be a tough ask) then I presume someone will have to be deregistered and any free agent probably won't be match fit to start games anyhow. I think it's unlikely personally. 

I suspect we may have to just soldier on with a forward line selected from Lloyd, Amoo, Rodney and Politic until Proctor returns. We could always throw big Leon on in the "targetman" role for the closing minutes if we're looking for a winner.

I will admit I had a cheeky look at a list of free agents earlier to see who might be available to sign before the window. 

8 weeks from injury so now 7 weeks for Wilson which would roughly be FGR at home on Jan 8th. He will have a dedicated medical/physio professional plan though compared to the average patient and access to private treatment at St George’s Park etc. Send him down there for a few PRP injections. 

Absolutely gutted if Proctor isn’t back for Smallsall. I wanted another 5 goals…

33 minutes ago, Doha said:

I will admit I had a cheeky look at a list of free agents earlier to see who might be available to sign before the window. 

8 weeks from injury so now 7 weeks for Wilson which would roughly be FGR at home on Jan 8th. He will have a dedicated medical/physio professional plan though compared to the average patient and access to private treatment at St George’s Park etc. Send him down there for a few PRP injections. 

Absolutely gutted if Proctor isn’t back for Smallsall. I wanted another 5 goals…

I did the same. It’s a scary list but there’s a couple who could do a job I suppose. What about ex MLS players too? Isn’t that ending soon and some would be fairly match fit?

If we don't change formation I don't see how it works without a decent target man.

433 with Rodney (I know he doesn't fit the role fantastically but no other choice but Lloyd) would be ok

Politic has to play, Worrall has to play further forward.

It would happen just before the jilted saddlers come wouldn't it!! 

If we lose Politic, Wilson has a long road to recovery and Proctor is in and out we'll be <ovf censored> come January unless we get something sorted asap.

14 hours ago, Paul6754 said:

For both strikers to be out at the same time is real bad luck for Vale and real bad luck for each player as both had started to find their feet, play well and score goals in a Vale shirt. It's not just the time to recover from injury and get fit but the additional time to get match fit.

There's 10 games, 8 in the league, before the window. A lot of them are winnable with a fit team. Any word on Proctor?

Archived