onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Oldham Athletic v Port Vale

Doha

I think Rodney will start as a target man but that’s not what I would do. I’d consider bringing in Walker in for Garrity for any other game at this point, but against his old club I think I’d stick with Garrity for that reason and see how it goes. Martin for Smith is fine, I’d even consider doing that anyway just to give Smith a breather and keep him fresh. Looks like a battle so we’ll have to be up for it and defend crosses better than we have been doing, which I think remains a constant issue. Maybe give Legge 45 mins if we get a lead because you can bet a late siege Sutton style could be on the cards.

Advert

I would consider playing one centre forward and a couple of forwards running off him. It worked well against Col U but we looked a little bit vulnerable and overloaded when we did it in the first half against Accrington.
To be fair, Accy are in L1 and had Pell in the middle. Oldham aren't and haven't

It'll be:

Lucas

Cass Martin Jones

Worrall Pett Conlon Gibbons

Amoo Rodney Politic

imo

Rodney has a big, big chance to put things right if Wilson isn't about.

He's looked poor since Clarke has come in but its undeniable that there a good player there. Believe Pope said he was the fastest player he'd ever played with. Seems to really struggle with the pace of games when he comes on as a sub; maybe playing from the start and a Clarke 'slap' will get him going. 

1 hour ago, Joe B said:

Wilson out for a number of weeks, official. Based on what was said at the Eccleshall game, it's a fairly long absence.

Just as he was hitting form.

A huge loss 

Despite what Clarke says I remain unconvinced about Amoo as a striker, still think he's better wide 

Lloyd is busy and energetic but not the type who holds the ball up and latterly Rodney simply hasn't got going this season. 

A huge few weeks with lots of games to cram in. Also means more players will have to play in Tin pot at Rotherham which isn't ideal. 

1 hour ago, Joe B said:

Wilson out for a number of weeks, official. Based on what was said at the Eccleshall game, it's a fairly long absence.

Just as he was hitting form.

Going to be a tough few weeks until Proctor and Wilson are back. 
having said that, we are getting goals from plenty of others so hopefully we will be Ok 

Let's have a bit of faith. We thought we'd struggle when Proctor got injured. We didn't. Now we think we'll struggle with Wilson out. We won't, mark my words. Yes, both players are important to us, but in DC we finally have a manager who is able to adapt to a forced change in personnel and not break stride or relentlessly try to play the same way

Big blow that with Wilson so thats 2 of our best forwards out with Proctor not ready for a while yet .
It's a team game so shouldn't make much difference really all our strikers have something about them lets hope they bring it the games while the lads are out .
Amoo isn't really a striker but he puts the hard yards in and is positive and stretches the opposition back lines.
Lloyd's getting better he seems to have a very good understanding with J Taylor on what I'm seeing in recent games ,wins free kicks in areas which can get Vale a vital shot on target which in tight games could work a treat .
Politic I think is more of a free role player the kind who will waltz past you from deep maybe play him in the hole especially when Proctor returns but for now I'd be playing him to the left of the forward line I think he should be selected as he gets bums on seats and has that quality to arrive late in the box and drill home .
Rodney at present is the one least I'd pick the balls bouncing off him he seems lethargic and is not doing anywhere near enough to get most importantly firstly the fans onside and secondly considering last season in front of a crowd of zilch he was a shining light he doesn't seem to as of yet be able play in front of a crowd maybe it's stagefright ,but we have all seen what he can do on ifollow now it's time for him to do it in future games especially v Walsall where 1500 to 1600 of there fanbase are coming .
UTV

Looks like foot fractures take between six to twelve weeks to heal and that's before the lad can start training again:

So that could take us as long as mid-February, unless it's a relatively light fracture, though we'll probably have Proctor back in two or three weeks. In the meantime, it's time for the others to step up and show us what they can do, starting on Saturday. 

All the best to the lad for a quick recovery.

Think that’s us singing a forward in Jan. 

Up to Rodney to step up now. The one positive is imo that we’ve had goals through the team, it’s not just the forwards who have been contributing. I’d probably go Amoo and Rodney from the start. Shame for Wilson he’s been excellent recently

24 minutes ago, CambridgeDon said:

Looks like foot fractures take between six to twelve weeks to heal and that's before the lad can start training again:

So that could take us as long as mid-February, unless it's a relatively light fracture, though we'll probably have Proctor back in two or three weeks. In the meantime, it's time for the others to step up and show us what they can do, starting on Saturday. 

All the best to the lad for a quick recovery.

To be fair that's probably standard but Wilson would be being treated more intensely than say you or I in the general public would so hopefully nearer to the 6 week mark.

As long as Proctor isn't too far off then we should be back to strength at that point as we scored plenty when Wilson was subbed for example and Procs was putting them away.

Big chance for Rodney... lets hope his poor form is fitness related and now he can get a run going and get into form, I would suggest the two man strike force probably is dropped until Proctor is back in favour of a 3 man forward line to provide more support. Wozza and Amoo in the covid disrupted season for example and probably suits Amoo better and allows the option of Politic in his best position if you rotate the three wider forwards with Rodney in the middle.

DC actually said "substantial period". Major loss for us, but gutted for him. Just when he was getting his fitness back, confidence and looking like he was enjoying the game. All the best James with your recovery. You can't legislate for contact injuries.

DC will have to find a work around tactics wise. But, yeah time for others to step up. A front three would seem the obvious solution with the personnel currently available. 

17 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Up to Rodney to step up now. 

The worrying thing for me is that Rodney also has injury issues. He has a persistent heel problem and I do think (in his defence) having that hasn't helped his form this season. 

However, if the club are managing him, it's possible they don't want to overplay him and cause anything worse.

Eden Bailey is also out with an ankle injury at the moment too. So, we are a bit down to the bare bones upfront. 

Archived