onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Current Squad vs 2012/3 Promotion Squad

mr.hobblesworth

How do you think they compare? We're currently 2 points behind where the 2012/3 squad were after 15 games. We've scored 6 fewer but conceded 2 fewer. Much of a muchness really.

Looking at the squad from that season, the main players (over 20 appearances or significant) were:

Neal

Yates, McCombe, Duffy, McDonald, Chilvers

Loft, Rob Taylor, Myrie-Williams, Vincent, Shuker, Morsy, Dodds

Pope, Williamson, Hughes, Calvin Andrew

Current squad

Covolan

Gibbons, Jones, Smith, Cass, Benning

Worrall, Garrity, Conlon, Taylor, Amoo, Politic, Pett

Wilson, Proctor, Llloyd, Rodney

Advert

It was around this time during 2012/13 that we stalled a little. We won 2 in 9 between late October and mid December, which included throwing away two goal leads at home to Rochdale and York.

If you were plotting points per game as a line graph and comparing it to 2012/13 then a steady run from here should see us achieve cross over.

Think the comparison demonstrates how quickly the sport has changed.

Imagine telling Micky Adams he'd have to work under a DoF, use 'data' in his recruitment, have a Matrix to identify targets, be expected to utilise 3-4 formations on a regular basis. He played 442 every week, didn't change winning teams, prioritised 'leaders', would happily marginalise players if he felt it was needed etc.

Clarke, whilst sharing similarities with Adams in terms of being a tad abrasive, is a completely different coach and the squad reflects this. I think we forget Clarke is only 43 and is younger than the likes of Graham Potter, Nathan Jones, Valerien Ismael, Thomas Frank; all seen as 'up and coming', revolutionary coaches.

I'd add Darren Purse to that list he played a huge part from January onwards. 

Very difficult to compare different sides but when we were at it we absolutely smashed some sides at will that season. 

We also had a wobble around was it March the Burge saga at Bristol Rovers. 

We limped over the line but should of won the league. 

I'm confident that this squad has both ability and character. 

1 hour ago, Joe B said:

Imagine telling Micky Adams he'd have to work under a DoF, use 'data' in his recruitment, have a Matrix to identify targets, be expected to utilise 3-4 formations on a regular basis. He played 442 every week, didn't change winning teams, prioritised 'leaders', would happily marginalise players if he felt it was needed etc.

Clarke, whilst sharing similarities with Adams in terms of being a tad abrasive, is a completely different coach and the squad reflects this. I think we forget Clarke is only 43 and is younger than the likes of Graham Potter, Nathan Jones, Valerien Ismael, Thomas Frank; all seen as 'up and coming', revolutionary coaches.

I think you will find that Micky Adams has worked under several DOFs actually. Just saying...

1 hour ago, Joe B said:

Eddie Howe is only 43 as well, but he did start at 31 with Bournemouth at the bottom of League 2. What a dream that would be for DC to take us to the Prem?

58 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

I think you will find that Micky Adams has worked under several DOFs actually. Just saying...

DoFs are very different today than they were when Mike Bassett was Micky's 'DoF' in 2002. I imagine it was akin to Rudge's role as 'DoF' to Aspin; fairly ceremonial in nature, consultant at most. I doubt he was pulling strings on recruitment ala Flitcroft.

Micky Adams would not operate in the structure that Clarke is operating under, in my view. 

It's something I was wondering about comparing the two...

There are similarities so far, scoring lots of goals, close knit group, under the radar a bit pre season.

This team seems less reliant on one or two key players though, had we lost Pope or JMW that season for a period it would have likely cost us severely, this season we seem able to cope with losing Proctor for example, Worrall v Crawley didn't hamper us.

Its younger as well and I would say has more depth than that squad did, we were very lucky with injuries that year in fairness and had a lot of older pro's in.

Also feel this team is more adaptable to situations under DC than Micky.

I agree with the comments about the squad... the players who come in for injuries are of a much higher standard than those of 2012-13.

I also feel that bringing Lee Hughes/Darren Purse was to the detriment of the team overall. Pope virtually stopped scoring and we just about limped over the line after being in a very strong position. Certainly the points per game after they signed dropped dramatically...  1.89ppg down to 1.45ppg.

Don't know how much was correlation and how much was causation.

Pope simply wasn't going to maintain his scoring record; he had 19 goals in his first 20 league games. He'd end up with 45 goals. It was inevitably he'd dip and Hughes picked up the burden when he did. Micky was known for starting strong and then fading, probably due to his fitness regime and lack of rotation causing fatigue. 

I think Micky knew the side wouldn't continue in the manner it had done after January, and the signings of Hughes, Purse, Birchall, and Jones added just enough to get us there. Towards the end we genuinely became reliant on Chris Shuker's crossing to bail us out; he assisted crucial goals vs Chesterfield and Rochdale.

This year we feel far less relevant on the form of one player, so don't need to worry too much about a loss of form for an individual. 

This team is nowhere near as free flowing as the team we had back then.  I don’t think you could play that way today, flat out, and because of how the game has changed in the interim it’s virtually impossible to make a comparison, as it is with any era, however certain players from that squad would without doubt easily walk into our current squad, and probably first team, and vice versa.

3 hours ago, Joe B said:

DoFs are very different today than they were when Mike Bassett was Micky's 'DoF' in 2002. I imagine it was akin to Rudge's role as 'DoF' to Aspin; fairly ceremonial in nature, consultant at most. I doubt he was pulling strings on recruitment ala Flitcroft.

Micky Adams would not operate in the structure that Clarke is operating under, in my view. 

Think the name you might be after is Dave Bassett. 😀

Archived