Tory Sleaze

tommytunstall

32 minutes ago, Fosse69 said:

The statue was offensive so its removal was justified, damage was incidental, is my reading of the evidence presented.

The defence offered what appeared to be mitigation of why they did it, which should be the judges decision at sentencing. 

34 minutes ago, Fosse69 said:

To the people of Bristol, read the case summary in the Independent or Guardian.

As said, when put to the vote, the majority voted for the statue to remain. What is offensive to one person is not to others and it should not be for certain rioters or protestors to demolish something they disagree with. 

14 minutes ago, philpvfc said:

As said, when put to the vote, the majority voted for the statue to remain. What is offensive to one person is not to others and it should not be for certain rioters or protestors to demolish something they disagree with. 

That is the nature of a protest, how long ago was the vote/

So an email for a party invite in the back garden of number 10 was sent out to 100 plus tories including Boris and co saying to bring your own booze! Whilst the rest of us were in a lockdown, people couldnt see their dying loved ones and funeral numbers were limited etc etc. And today he and the rest of his top ministers were in hiding! Cowards! And i wonder why the metpolice are keeping quiet, oh yes maybe because they are nearly as corrupt as the government, obviously some officers would have known what was happening and who was there. Are the usual Boris lovers going to stick up for this disgrace? 

2 hours ago, ginge said:

So an email for a party invite in the back garden of number 10 was sent out to 100 plus tories including Boris and co saying to bring your own booze! Whilst the rest of us were in a lockdown, people couldnt see their dying loved ones and funeral numbers were limited etc etc. And today he and the rest of his top ministers were in hiding! Cowards! And i wonder why the metpolice are keeping quiet, oh yes maybe because they are nearly as corrupt as the government, obviously some officers would have known what was happening and who was there. Are the usual Boris lovers going to stick up for this disgrace? 

It is a disgrace. Clearly should never have locked down the rest of us. 

1 hour ago, Fosse69 said:

More is now known of his involvement in the slave trade, which was massive.

It was well known when it went to the vote, that’s the reason why it did. I live near Bristol and have been fully aware of what Colston did for many years.

5 minutes ago, philpvfc said:

It was well known when it went to the vote, that’s the reason why it did. I live near Bristol and have been fully aware of what Colston did for many years.

Surely the tide has turned with the renaming of buildings, roads etc in Bristol.

13 minutes ago, Fosse69 said:

Surely the tide has turned with the renaming of buildings, roads etc in Bristol.

Yes and I’m pretty sure the monument would have been removed properly by the council so even more reason for it not to be pulled down by the illegal protesters.

1 hour ago, Regal Beagle said:

I remember not so long ago, when petty crimes such as trespassing and a relatively small amount of criminal damage was being painted as actual terrorism by the left. 

If the guy had the decency to own up to something he is obviously guilty of it may quieten down. The hundreds of people who lost relatives would be satisfied to a point, even rabid righties like RB would be satisfied, although I doubt it 

2 hours ago, tommytunstall said:

If the guy had the decency to own up to something he is obviously guilty of it may quieten down. The hundreds of people who lost relatives would be satisfied to a point, even rabid righties like RB would be satisfied, although I doubt it 

Honestly, and not for the first time, I have zero idea what you are talking about.

11 hours ago, Joe B said:

Good to see that the usual suspects in here are going down the route of questioning the process and principles of trial by jury.

I don't think they should have chucked Colston in the sea either, but questioning the principle of trial by jury is a sign you need to take a step back and see if you're approaching issues rationally, and not with 'how does this fit with my political opinion' preceding it.

You're basically arguing you don't agree with trial by jury as this jury didn't return the verdict you agreed with, which is not an opinion I'd willingly share on a public forum if I wanted to retain the facade of being in some way compos mentis.

I don't get that at all.

They were clearly guilty, they were on film, red handed, damaging the statue. The accepted defenses don't apply. And they at the very least, would have reasonably known that their actions would result in damage. I mean that's not really up for debate is it?

That being said, they're not guilty in the eyes of the law and can't be re-tried without new evidence, the complete prerogative of the jury. You can accept that whilst also acknowledging that it was a terrible decision. Jury's get things wrong, this is quite an obvious case of that.

And the precedent aspect can't be ignored. Is it now fair game to destroy anything if it has any historical ties to slavery? What about other statues that could be argued as being offensive? 

The law absolutely needs clarifying to avoid future issues.

9 hours ago, ginge said:

There is no supporting such actions.

I don't care if actual laws were broken, there should be serious punishment for such stupidity and insensitivity from politicians/leaders/government employees, people who should lead by example.

I think flogging would be a little excessive but a public birching could work.

3 hours ago, Regal Beagle said:

What about other statues that could be argued as being offensive? 

Stan Mathews would have to go from Hanley. 

The steel worker would have to go from the museum given the environmental impact the blast furnaces had.

Fire on the front of the Lewis's building would go given the cladding controversy. 

Any shop selling goods that were red and white stripes would have to go so as not to trigger my ptsd