onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

FA Cup R2 Burton A (Away) 2021

robf

22 hours ago, Playa Amodores said:

More tosh, from our previous owner. He’d have never have put his hand in his pocket to pay for Jimmy Flloyd Cashinthebank

That was the start of his downfall. I think a week or so previously he’d been serving drinks in the Lorne Street getting cheered in the home game v Blackpool. 

Those comments showed the contempt he had for fans, the mask had slipped. 

Advert

On 09/11/2021 at 12:24, NellyTheValiant said:

Appreciate that Ray but it's far better when there's good away support.  Not wanting to restrict clubs from being promoted but it doesn't half annoy me when we have decent clubs with good sized followings getting relegated and replaced with the 'upstarts' like Salford.  You can add Harrogate, Stevenage and Crawley to that list amongst others.

I think we fans of the traditionally established league clubs better get used to it.  More teams than ever lower down the pyramid have wealthy benefactors.  Of course after our promotion it’ll matter far less. 😉

On 09/11/2021 at 12:24, NellyTheValiant said:

Appreciate that Ray but it's far better when there's good away support.  Not wanting to restrict clubs from being promoted but it doesn't half annoy me when we have decent clubs with good sized followings getting relegated and replaced with the 'upstarts' like Salford.  You can add Harrogate, Stevenage and Crawley to that list amongst others.

You cannot control who gets promoted from the National league. Whether that be Sutton or Harrogate they did it on merit while clubs like Wrexham, Notts County and Chesterfield didn't. It has to be done with fair promotion and relegation. Usually over time the smaller clubs find themselves back down again like Dagenham. Yeovil and Barnet for instance. The only way to secure promotion is on the pitch not by size of club or crowds. Would you prefer the old system of promotion/relegation where the bottom four clubs had to apply for their league status alongside the non league candidates. You could finish 4th from bottom and be voted out, would that be fair? Although we do get some relatively small clubs being promoted i don't see any other fair way of progression from non league.

17 minutes ago, mbycars said:

You cannot control who gets promoted from the National league. Whether that be Sutton or Harrogate they did it on merit while clubs like Wrexham, Notts County and Chesterfield didn't. It has to be done with fair promotion and relegation. Usually over time the smaller clubs find themselves back down again like Dagenham. Yeovil and Barnet for instance. The only way to secure promotion is on the pitch not by size of club or crowds. Would you prefer the old system of promotion/relegation where the bottom four clubs had to apply for their league status alongside the non league candidates. You could finish 4th from bottom and be voted out, would that be fair? Although we do get some relatively small clubs being promoted i don't see any other fair way of progression from non league.

Your argument about crowds is spot on. As a bloke in my 50's you do get a bit rose tinted about the club's we've lost. And as you say they are relegated on merit. However any club can have an horrific season and take a decade or never get back. 

I'd like to see Champions promoted and the next 4 in a play off. The winner of that then plays the League 2 team who came 23rd in a winner takes all. 

There's no escaping the fact after years and years some clubs like Stevenage and Crawley have probably got less crowds than ever . They have not gradually built a fan base .

Is there anything less appealing than the likes of them on a Tuesday night in February pouring of rain with 47 in the Hamil end. 

39 minutes ago, mbycars said:

I know, it's a shame that I can't and I alluded to that in my original post.  If I could I'd have the clubs that are closer to Vale Park promoted too.  And ones with nice coloured shirts, good towns to have a beer before the game and good transport links.

It just annoys me when clubs such as Salford who are bank rolled get promoted and take 24 to an FA Cup away game, Harrogate 125 to Vale Park on their 1st ever visit, etc  I know that they are there on merit and they 'deserve' to be in the EFL but I do think that it dilutes the league too.

I am also constantly disappointed when Crewe come to VP and bring 800, even when chasing promotion.

Give me a Chesterfield, Wrexham, Notts County, Grimsby over a Salford, Stevenage or MK any time.

1 hour ago, darren1810 said:

Your argument about crowds is spot on. As a bloke in my 50's you do get a bit rose tinted about the club's we've lost. And as you say they are relegated on merit. However any club can have an horrific season and take a decade or never get back. 

I'd like to see Champions promoted and the next 4 in a play off. The winner of that then plays the League 2 team who came 23rd in a winner takes all. 

There's no escaping the fact after years and years some clubs like Stevenage and Crawley have probably got less crowds than ever . They have not gradually built a fan base .

Is there anything less appealing than the likes of them on a Tuesday night in February pouring of rain with 47 in the Hamil end. 

No its not appealing but even with the system you suggest it doesn;t mean that the team finishing 23rd is still not replaced with a small club from non league.

1 hour ago, NellyTheValiant said:

I know, it's a shame that I can't and I alluded to that in my original post.  If I could I'd have the clubs that are closer to Vale Park promoted too.  And ones with nice coloured shirts, good towns to have a beer before the game and good transport links.

It just annoys me when clubs such as Salford who are bank rolled get promoted and take 24 to an FA Cup away game, Harrogate 125 to Vale Park on their 1st ever visit, etc  I know that they are there on merit and they 'deserve' to be in the EFL but I do think that it dilutes the league too.

I am also constantly disappointed when Crewe come to VP and bring 800, even when chasing promotion.

Give me a Chesterfield, Wrexham, Notts County, Grimsby over a Salford, Stevenage or MK any time.

Imagine if we had the old system and Norm was still in charge. We could have finished 4th from bottom and been voted out because he was disliked at many other clubs because of his odious behaviour to other owners/directors. Fortunately those days are behind us and we now have a club to be proud of again.

2 hours ago, mbycars said:

You're right that in a pyramid system you have to have fair promotion but I'd argue that's the last thing you get from the National which, as far as I'm aware, doesn't have any financial fair play rules at all. As a result, you get loads (and it is loads these days) of newly rich owners selecting a club and stuffing its coffers so full it has a really unfair advantage over the other teams. In the case of clubs who've spent years languishing in the lower reaches of non-league they then come into the EFL with no tradition of proper league football and little or no fan base. What happens next is that traditional teams like the Vale take loads of away support to swell their coffers even more (when they don't need it) and not have the favour repaid either in terms of cash or creating a competitive atmosphere at the return home game. It's turning the EFL into something it was never intended to be - the gateway to league football for the rich and ambitious while diluting the matchday experience.

1 hour ago, mbycars said:

No its not appealing but even with the system you suggest it doesn;t mean that the team finishing 23rd is still not replaced with a small club from non league.

No but it gives a second chance to a team who have a one off catastrophic season. It's just diluted too much. 

There’s more chance of three up and three down than restricting it more id have thought.

If I’m honest in my opinion it would make sense now to incorporate the National League Premier into the EFL now and make it League 3… so many big clubs down there and nearly all full time so would make sense. This countries football league system is now so strong you have clubs getting 5 figure crowds at the fifth tier.

Plus the EFL has tighter controls financially which may bring the National League clubs into better legislation with their current bonkers spending.

It’s strong enough now to do it though then have the regional league system as non league.

Burton v Vale has not been chosen as one of the live second round ties

FA Cup second-round televised games

Friday, 3 December

Gateshead or Altrincham v Charlton Athletic 19:45 kick-off - live on ITV4

Saturday, 4 December

Buxton v Morecambe 12:45 - live on BBC One and BBC iPlayer

Yeovil Town v MK Dons or Stevenage 17:30 - live on BBC Two and BBC iPlayer

Sunday, 5 December

Rochdale or Notts County v Sheffield Wednesday or Plymouth Argyle 12:15 - live on ITV

Salford City v Chesterfield 17:15 - live on ITV4

Monday, 6 December

Boreham Wood v St Albans City 19:45 - live on ITV4

Bloody Salford again 

35 minutes ago, Smugsy said:

Burton v Vale has not been chosen as one of the live second round ties

FA Cup second-round televised games

Friday, 3 December

Gateshead or Altrincham v Charlton Athletic 19:45 kick-off - live on ITV4

Saturday, 4 December

Buxton v Morecambe 12:45 - live on BBC One and BBC iPlayer

Yeovil Town v MK Dons or Stevenage 17:30 - live on BBC Two and BBC iPlayer

Sunday, 5 December

Rochdale or Notts County v Sheffield Wednesday or Plymouth Argyle 12:15 - live on ITV

Salford City v Chesterfield 17:15 - live on ITV4

Monday, 6 December

Boreham Wood v St Albans City 19:45 - live on ITV4

Bloody Salford again 

Salford- it’s a cup tradition 

Archived