Match Thread: Port Vale v Bradford City

Breadwinner

7 hours ago, SFBT said:

I reckon this is part of the reason why good runs of form come to an end.

With the levels of scrutiny employed, opponents work out strengths and weaknesses and devise ways of stopping opponents.

Hence Smith gets to see lots of the ball yesterday, whilst other defenders are closed down, and pathways to midfield are blocked.

Football is more like chess these days!

Yep, their manager in his post match interview said they targeted the  space behind the wing-backs or words to that effect (and other managers have said the same) and although it was a Vale mistake by Smithy to not send the ball into Row Z, it went to the Bradford player who had all the time and space to measure the ball onto Angol's head. Ironically Our wing back's/back 5 were too deep affording the Bradford player the space and time to cross the ball.

Problem is how can you argue against a 3-5-2 system that's got Vale to 2nd in the table although DC does change it around, perhaps it was the confusion over whether Wilson could continue that the subs/system tweak weren't optimal.

2 hours ago, Properman said:

So he flagged for an elbow in the face? Did what he should do. How do you work out we did not do too bad. Two sendings off, we should have had Smith off, but maybe it would not have got to Smith if the ref and liner got it right. They would have put extra defender on an not angolan. To say we have not done too bad is stupid.

With respect I am far from stupid… but to get 3 major decisions  where linesmen take the lead in the decision making process out of the last 4 (1)v Accrington  (2)v Crawley and (3) Smith vs Bradford and (4)the potential sending off of the Bradford player is doing not too bad in my eyes.

We d bettter get used to teams are going to come and try everything they can to get a result and if we continue to get 3 out of 4 major decisions going our way then we have definitely done not too bad.

apologies for being stupid.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Tony Rodriguez said:

If he had sent their player off I think he would have been obliged to give Smith a second yellow for a late tackle near the halfway line.

He probably would - but by that time I think the game would have been won and it would simply have levelled it up to 10 a-side. 

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but looking back at the game yesterday and last week's second half v Accrington you can see that Garrity adds so much more to the team when he is on the pitch than when he is not on the pitch
As soon as he left the pitch yesterday I felt we lostcontrol of the game somewhat that's not dissing Taylor just felt the game passed him by when he came on no matter what people think of Garrity at times I'd rather have him stay on the pitch than Tom Conlon as at least he is fighting for every ball at times Conlon is slack in that department.
On the ball Conlon is undoubtedly excellent him and Pett when we are winning are excellent contributors to the games however when there's a scrap going on I'd leave Garrity on every time along with Smith they fight for every ball .
Pett is class .

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

23 hours ago, Joe B said:

"defensive recruitment not good"

"a pattern in the goals we concede"

"Hope we sort this defensive frailty out"

Proper last game analysis from fellas whose memories don't extend beyond the previous game.

We're in the best form of any team in England, conceding the 4th least in the league, and conceded one against a decent side today.

Do people expect us to win all 46 games and never concede? They put a cracking ball in the box and Angol flicked it in perfectly. Referencing Sutton which occurred 8 games ago and we've won 7 of them. A pattern, apparently! Defensive frailties! Not a peep of this nature when we're scoring 17 in 4 and putting our best home form together since the early 60s.

Concede one goal and grown men are on forums fuming. Poor recruitment and frailties. These lads won't be happy till we win all 46 games 3-0, and even then they'd be questioning we haven't scored 4.

Utter nonsense. 

why get mad at an observation, said i was happy with the form but right now we are a team who fails to deal with crosses into the box and soon teams will see the goals we conceded are exactly that so they could change their game plan to crosses etc we are lucky that no team has seen this trend of goals conceded. look at rochdale, sutton (biggest observation). nothing much has changed since then sort from us scoring more. yesterday big man comes on and struggled to deal with him and he scores. if that ain’t obvious then what is. i’m happy where we are i’m just stating that every team has a weakness and this is ours 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Breadwinner said:

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but looking back at the game yesterday and last week's second half v Accrington you can see that Garrity adds so much more to the team when he is on the pitch than when he is not on the pitch
As soon as he left the pitch yesterday I felt we lostcontrol of the game somewhat that's not dissing Taylor just felt the game passed him by when he came on no matter what people think of Garrity at times I'd rather have him stay on the pitch than Tom Conlon as at least he is fighting for every ball at times Conlon is slack in that department.
On the ball Conlon is undoubtedly excellent him and Pett when we are winning are excellent contributors to the games however when there's a scrap going on I'd leave Garrity on every time along with Smith they fight for every ball .
Pett is class .

I agree completely about the energy Garrity brings but on Saturday him and Jones couldn't pass wind never mind a football. I think he was hooked for losing possession so much. 

I really like him but Saturday wasn't one of his finest moments in a Vale shirt . 

I agree completely about the energy Garrity brings but on Saturday him and Jones couldn't pass wind never mind a football. I think he was hooked for losing possession so much. 
I really like him but Saturday wasn't one of his finest moments in a Vale shirt . 
Thought personally second half he was getting better he had minutes before ,strange that on highlights they didn't show that chance as it was a very good one headed over a great ball in what maybe he should have headed in then its header clear to Wilson who plays a fantastic ball out to Amoo who was positive and Wilson finished superbly .
It's gone now and yes the nerves of the players was showing in a few of them in first half but I felt we were settling down then the Wilson saga and too hasty subs happened
UTV

Saturday very much reminded me of our away game against Mansfield in terms of possession and passing, it was woeful at times.

Nearly all of their chances came from poor passing out from the back, some very easy balls out played across the centre of the park.

I thought that Garrity was at fault for many of them but watching the game back I think it was a case of mistaken identity for a number of them, so he wasn't as 'faulty' as I originally though the was. 

The pleasing thing is we were well below our best, and arguably our poorest at home this season yet easily deserved the draw and arguably had the slightly better of the game against one of the pre season favourites.

If we can be that below par in still good enough to match sides like that then we haven't too many concerns.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, valiantastic said:

why get mad at an observation, said i was happy with the form but right now we are a team who fails to deal with crosses into the box and soon teams will see the goals we conceded are exactly that so they could change their game plan to crosses etc we are lucky that no team has seen this trend of goals conceded. look at rochdale, sutton (biggest observation). nothing much has changed since then sort from us scoring more. yesterday big man comes on and struggled to deal with him and he scores. if that ain’t obvious then what is. i’m happy where we are i’m just stating that every team has a weakness and this is ours 

Yeah my bad came in on Saturday night half-cut and went in two-footed on the forums. Apologies. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, valiantastic said:

Not sure I agree. We’ve not conceded from a corner this season so can’t be that bad at defending balls into the box. Smith was out of position and give Bradford a bit of credit that was a fantastic cross. Personally I don’t think that’s our weakness. I’d say the area we struggle is when the opposition stops Worrall and gibbons from getting into the game and effectively making us into a back 5. It’s happened a few times this season (to which we usually change the formation)

6 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Not sure I agree. We’ve not conceded from a corner this season so can’t be that bad at defending balls into the box. Smith was out of position and give Bradford a bit of credit that was a fantastic cross. Personally I don’t think that’s our weakness. I’d say the area we struggle is when the opposition stops Worrall and gibbons from getting into the game and effectively making us into a back 5. It’s happened a few times this season (to which we usually change the formation)

To be fair some of the goals we’ve conceded from crosses, Crawley, Rochdale and Bradford were just great balls into the box. Sometimes you have to hold your hands up. 

As for stopping our wingbacks, I agree with that. Worrall and gibbons really came into the game in the first half and we’re causing problem, but Bradford sat in in the second half just like barrow did. But either we change formation (we couldn’t Saturday because we’d used our subs) or gibbo and Worrall have to come deeper to drag their wing backs out and then we have our midfield runners finding the space left behind them. That’s where players like Taylor, Amoo, politic and Conlon can prosper I think. 

Edited by PV1973

16 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Yep. When we started fairly poorly, it was because Worrall wasn't sure what he was doing and Benning wasn't performing well. When we started winning Gibbons was marauding + Worrall got much higher up the pitch.

Adams, being a good manager, nullified them. They had no room out wide; Gibbons end up coming inside a lot and Worrall did virtually nothing. It resulted in them not creating a great deal as their width was taken up with defensive duties.

The template has been set - Clarke may need to adapt slightly.