onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Bradford City

Breadwinner

12 hours ago, southport vale said:

Today DC got it wrong. Never seen us play such long ball as today under him. Very
surprised the pressing game was lacking. When we went 1up should have brought on Legge. The more I see Rodney the more he reminds me off JJ Hooper he seems to have regressed

Legge wasn't on the bench🙄

Advert

52 minutes ago, MBE said:

I was fuming yesterday when it happened right in front of me sat in the Lorne Street. It wasn't the only blatant off the ball incident the linesman missed during the 2nd half. He was very poor like the referee. I'm sure there will be a letter of apology on the doorstep at Vale Park by the mid week.

The one that got my goat was the bear hug on Worrall and he was thrown to the floor. The linesman ( can I say that ! ) stood oblivious to it. 

17 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

The one that got my goat was the bear hug on Worrall and he was thrown to the floor. The linesman ( can I say that ! ) stood oblivious to it. 

From Lorne Street you could see clearly a couple of blatant elbows in the face from their centre half. Both were yards away from the liner who was staring at them. From what I've witnessed this season in particular I'd  guess that liners are instructed to simply attempt to keep up with play to flag for offside, nowt else. They don't even do that either! Complete waste of space week after week. Ruining the game.

32 minutes ago, onestepatatime said:

From Lorne Street you could see clearly a couple of blatant elbows in the face from their centre half. Both were yards away from the liner who was staring at them. From what I've witnessed this season in particular I'd  guess that liners are instructed to simply attempt to keep up with play to flag for offside, nowt else. They don't even do that either! Complete waste of space week after week. Ruining the game.

Maybe, however the linesman was in our favour at home against Accrington and away at Crawley both games had the linesman flag for an elbow in smiths face and both were sent off after the ref had consulted with the linesman …. So we haven’t done too badly out of linesmen recently. I thought it was a tough league 2 game… we will have to get used to this if we are near the top of the league including coping with the dark arts of away teams as me coming for a point. I m sure DC and the lads will be upto the challenge.

17 hours ago, valiantastic said:

we are starting to see a pattern from the types of goals we are conceding lately. Big man cross in the box and our current 3 can’t deal with it. if we get that right then we will have a lot more points. teams will see this trend and start doing what Sutton did and just fling it in because they know our current 3 are weak at attacking the ball. can’t complain right now where we are in the league but i do hope we sort this defensive frailty out 

Spot on. Assuming Martin will replace Smudger when he's suspended, he has the chance to put this right as we get tested out more and more on crosses. Hope he does but if not, we have the prefect replacement in Leon who is like a one man fortress in the box. If he'd played yesterday you can bet that header wouldn't have come in and the same is true of Sutton.

Teams are going to be increasingly asking, how do we beat Port Vale? And the answer is, crosses into the box. We just have to sort this or it's going to cost us more points than we can afford.

1 hour ago, Bob Newtonian said:

I thought the ref wasn’t too bad no one was hurt and it is league 2 … physical with no camera s to help him.

was a bit weird in the bycars the sun was in my eyes at one point!! We ll have to have these 12:00 kick offs stopped!

Agree thought the ref was decent tried play advantage and keep the game flowing wasn’t card happy but made one big mistake by not sending their lad off with 2 yellows 

Agree thought the ref was decent tried play advantage and keep the game flowing wasn’t card happy but made one big mistake by not sending their lad off with 2 yellows 
I can forgive a ref for not seeing something, such as the elbow. What I can't forgive is a blatant wrong decision not to award a second yellow card to a player just because he had already been booked. He clearly saw it. Unforgivable that is

4 minutes ago, Tony Rodriguez said:

If he had sent their player off I think he would have been obliged to give Smith a second yellow for a late tackle near the halfway line.

Had he sent their lad off, the game would have changed and the Smith incident may not have happened.

2 hours ago, Bob Newtonian said:

Maybe, however the linesman was in our favour at home against Accrington and away at Crawley both games had the linesman flag for an elbow in smiths face and both were sent off after the ref had consulted with the linesman …. So we haven’t done too badly out of linesmen recently. I thought it was a tough league 2 game… we will have to get used to this if we are near the top of the league including coping with the dark arts of away teams as me coming for a point. I m sure DC and the lads will be upto the challenge.

So he flagged for an elbow in the face? Did what he should do. How do you work out we did not do too bad. Two sendings off, we should have had Smith off, but maybe it would not have got to Smith if the ref and liner got it right. They would have put extra defender on an not angolan. To say we have not done too bad is stupid.

7 hours ago, SFBT said:

I reckon this is part of the reason why good runs of form come to an end.

With the levels of scrutiny employed, opponents work out strengths and weaknesses and devise ways of stopping opponents.

Hence Smith gets to see lots of the ball yesterday, whilst other defenders are closed down, and pathways to midfield are blocked.

Football is more like chess these days!

Yep, their manager in his post match interview said they targeted the  space behind the wing-backs or words to that effect (and other managers have said the same) and although it was a Vale mistake by Smithy to not send the ball into Row Z, it went to the Bradford player who had all the time and space to measure the ball onto Angol's head. Ironically Our wing back's/back 5 were too deep affording the Bradford player the space and time to cross the ball.

Problem is how can you argue against a 3-5-2 system that's got Vale to 2nd in the table although DC does change it around, perhaps it was the confusion over whether Wilson could continue that the subs/system tweak weren't optimal.

Archived