onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Bradford City

Breadwinner

Gordon Bennet there are a lot of what ifs and he should have done this and that. If Lloyd had of been a bit more composed and put the chance away we would all be singing a different tune. We were not at our best we did not have the rub of the green we made a lot of very silly mistakes. Bradford have a decent squad and a top manager but there were no better than us we had by far the best chances. Yes would have liked 3points but we still got 1 on to Oldham for an other tough match ! And it’s not going to be a walk in the park ! If we are back to our best we can get three points anything less and we could be embarrassed.

Advert

53 minutes ago, ethan and archies dad said:

Pundits on quest have said Bradford should have had two sent off
The centre half who was yellow carded should have had a second one
The other centre half elbowed Lloyd in the face
The keeper won the ball when 1 on 1 with Rodney

We all knew that, only person who didn’t was the ref.

Legge wasn’t even on the bench to bring on. He isn’t match fit yet for league duty. It wasn’t poor subs, it was bad luck. He made his two subs but then Wilson was injured and had told Clarke he was fine (Clarke mentions this in his post match interview) so he thought he was okay to make the subs he did. Wilson goes down and he is forced to make his third sub and had to bring on an attacking player. It’s one of those, if Wilson was okay he probably would have had him out on the pitch for 90 minutes and brought Politic on but his hand was forced. 

Regarding the talk on Cass, there’s no doubt he’s a superb player. Just glides around the pitch but he had a bad game today. Every player has them but talk about bad recruitment etc is madness. What he offers the team on top of his defensive duties is the ability to drive forward with the ball, it’s an additional attacking player and Jones seems to sit back in a more centralised role when he pushes up. He is quality, he’s young, he will mess up every now and again but we are lucky to have him in the team because if we don’t sign him and Newcastle get rid, he won’t be playing in League 2 next season. 

The goal we conceded was a bit of a mess though. This isn’t a knee-jerk reaction and I’m not panicking but I have noticed that when we do concede it’s crosses into the box (Sutton is a great example). Legge, when fit will offer that aerial cover but he won’t be able to play every minute for the rest of the season. Smudge ran the ball out of the area and then gave it Bradford back, out of position the ball is crossed into the box and Cass isn’t able to get his head on it. 

Covolan’s save at the end was magnificent. I was in line with it in the Paddock. I think it went through someone’s legs, would have seen it late and he made got down so quick to his right. 

What I love about this team is, even when it was 1-1, our attack had been stripped back with necessary subs, I still felt we could win it. They are instilling a belief in the fans that anything is possible. 
Was running late so didn't get look at subs bench was surprised see Rodney come on personally.
Legge could have added a lot more to that game when we were crap I'm sure it was his defensive excellence which always gave Vale a chance in games so be glad when he is back in the fold although Smith has being this season under DC excellent (long may it continue )I'd have Legge over him every time .
We have 2 play Cass and Jones in a 3 as there distribution as being the first contact is so very important yesterday it wasn't as good as whst it usually is and when we did find our players we played in spells excellently as last 25 in first half showed.
UTV

11 hours ago, valefan79 said:

Don't think we will agree on this one and fair enough your entitled to your opinion.  I agree with everything Clarke usually does but for me maybe got this one wrong today. Politic can play anywhere across the front 3 and while defensively probably offers nothing, neither does Rodney, think their defence would have been more troubled by the trickery of Politic.  Anyway despite not been at our best today, was important not to lose and I am sure Bradford will be up there towards the end of season and 3 big games coming up where if we play to how we can, I have no doubt we can be getting be getting 7 or 9 points.

Fair enough brother…. Let’s all get to Oldham for three more points.

Legge getting more and more like Maldini the longer he's out !! 

Whilst he has a part to play and was playing well can we remember with him in the side we drew every game. He only played 3 times before his injury. 

I like Legge and we needed him particularly at Sutton but let's not go all doe eyed that he's something he isn't. 

3 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Whilst he has a part to play and was playing well can we remember with him in the side we drew every game. He only played 3 times before his injury. 

I like Legge and we needed him particularly at Sutton but let's not go all doe eyed that he's something he isn't. 

I agree its over the top with Legge although we do generally lack height in the team at present.We really needed a bit of height yesterday in both boxes . I think DC mentioned in his interview he would have bought Martin on in response to Angol if he could have made another sub and we probably would have seen the game out then. 

I think fans have to remember Cass and Jones are the best ball players in defence and have been crucial in our play.Neither played well yesterday so we lost our good passing play because of it. We have looked a far better more offensive team with Cass at RCB rather than Smith since Legge was out with injury. This is no dig at Smith but from a possession view point it's noticeable how teams let him have the ball because he isn't going to hurt them where as Cass and Jones are closed down very quickly.

When all CB's are fit and available it's going to be a really interesting selection dilema. I believe DC is going to chop and change it depending on the opposition which he has not really been able to do.

1 minute ago, MBE said:

I agree its over the top with Legge although we do generally lack height in the team at present.We really needed a bit of height yesterday in both boxes . I think DC mentioned in his interview he would have bought Martin on in response to Angol if he could have made another sub and we probably would have seen the game out then. 

I think fans have to remember Cass and Jones are the best ball players in defence and have been crucial in our play.Neither played well yesterday so we lost our good passing play because of it. We have looked a far better more offensive team with Cass at RCB rather than Smith since Legge was out with injury. This is no dig at Smith but from a possession view point it's noticeable how teams let him have the ball because he isn't going to hurt them where as Cass and Jones are closed down very quickly.

When all CB's are fit and available it's going to be a really interesting selection dilema. I believe DC is going to chop and change it depending on the opposition which he has not really been able to do.

Yes spot on with Smith. But also because of Clarke seemingly liking a ball playing centre half at home then Legge doesn't fit that remit either. 

He's definitely got a part to play and I hope it doesn't come across that I don't rate him because I do. 

Ideal yesterday to combat Angol and ideal at Sutton to combat the hoofs . 

I reckon this is part of the reason why good runs of form come to an end.

With the levels of scrutiny employed, opponents work out strengths and weaknesses and devise ways of stopping opponents.

Hence Smith gets to see lots of the ball yesterday, whilst other defenders are closed down, and pathways to midfield are blocked.

Football is more like chess these days!

We've never conceded any headed goals when Legges played don't you know

Really enjoyed the game yesterday despite us not picking up the 3 points. Yes we were a little shoddy at times giving the ball away but we created a number of chances and always looked capable of winning it.

Shame Wilson picked up the injury as it made our subs look a little puzzling. Ideally I would have swapped Wilson with Rodney leaving Garrity on as he was still giving them no space in midfield. We could then have brought some height on at the back to defend the lead. That game had 1-0 written all over it. After the equaliser we could then have brought on Politic as their defenders were tiring.

Still we're 2nd with a decent run of fixtures to come. Even though we weren't at our best we could have won it so bodes well when we do put it together

First time I've seen the game, including fouls, back today.

Definitely 2 yellows for Threlkeld. As they said on Quest, any other player and that second foul is a yellow. Atrocious refereeing. And he can't say he didn't see it.

Blatant elbow by their player too. Another red missed.

Only one I thought that he got right was the GK tackle on Rodney.

Where do they get these refs from? Fuming now

7 minutes ago, philmpv said:

Definitely 2 yellows for Threlkeld. As they said on Quest, any other player and that second foul is a yellow. Atrocious refereeing. And he can't say he didn't see it.

Blatant elbow by their player too. Another red missed.

Only one I thought that he got right was the GK tackle on Rodney.

Where do they get these refs from? Fuming now

I was fuming yesterday when it happened right in front of me sat in the Lorne Street. It wasn't the only blatant off the ball incident the linesman missed during the 2nd half. He was very poor like the referee. I'm sure there will be a letter of apology on the doorstep at Vale Park by the mid week.

Defensively, Gibbons, Jones, Cass and Worrall aren’t the best but it’s scaring the bejaysus out of most teams in this league seeing that team coming at you with all the different scorers. Didn’t centre back Cass score last week from full back’ Gibbons’ assist… very hard to defend against.

I think in this set up with 3 at the back there’s more onus on the 3 centre halves defensively than there is with Worrall and Gibbo as the wingbacks. In particular with the 2 wide centre halves as they have to come out of position to deal with any runners behind the wingbacks. Also with wingbacks there’s a bit of added pressure on our midfielders to help the wingbacks out as they can get overloaded if the opposition full back pushes on. At times yesterday Conlon, who is usually the one to help out on the left, was getting played around to leave us overloaded. 

Archived