onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Bradford City

Breadwinner

Advert

3 minutes ago, Warren said:

Oh well, I might as well say something more. I thought I got Amoo up front with Wilson. But it didn't work. Amoo needs to play more wide and in fact from such a position he was instrumental in our goal. 

He was indeed but he was great through the middle against Accrington 

22 minutes ago, onestepatatime said:

100% correct. Politic would have revelled running direct at their defenders and pot shotting from every angle. It was a mistake not bringing him on instead of Lloyd.

But Lloyd is a loan player who is a central striker so from a team point of view it was a straight swop with Wilson and less disruption to the team … we were also a goal up and Lloyd is good at closing defenders down  making it difficult to launch attacks… . Politic is ace when running at defenders and shooting but no so good at the defensive side of things hence his hooking off against Accrington.. we won’t see much more of him now unless we have  a real chance of signing him.

No doubt the Wilson injury stuffed a few of our plans up but if we re honest Bradford were worth a point. The lad that scored the goal was great for them he turned the game more than any vale substitute.

8 minutes ago, Bob Newtonian said:

But Lloyd is a loan player who is a central striker so from a team point of view it was a straight swop with Wilson and less disruption to the team … we were also a goal up and Lloyd is good at closing defenders down  making it difficult to launch attacks… . Politic is ace when running at defenders and shooting but no so good at the defensive side of things hence his hooking off against Accrington.. we won’t see much more of him now unless we have  a real chance of signing him.

No doubt the Wilson injury stuffed a few of our plans up but if we re honest Bradford were worth a point. The lad that scored the goal was great for them he turned the game more than any vale substitute.

Disagree, Politic will play a role between now and the beginning of January I am sure.  We have 10 matches and playing a number of Saturday-Tuesday-Saturday matches.  For me he should have been on instead of Rodney.  Even if no chance of signing him in January, Clarke will want as many points as possible.

1 minute ago, valefan79 said:

Disagree, Politic will play a role between now and the beginning of January I am sure.  We have 10 matches and playing a number of Saturday-Tuesday-Saturday matches.  For me he should have been on instead of Rodney.  Even if no chance of signing him in January, Clarke will want as many points as possible.

But the season doesn’t end on the 1st January….. we will need out own players firing on all cylinders for the business end of the season and we won’t have that if we play a maverick from another club instead of them. In all honesty I didn’t think Politic deserved to come on after his performance against Accrington he was awful.

6 minutes ago, valefan79 said:

But Amoo was playing down the middle in a front two with Wilson. Why would you replace him with a wide player it makes no sense…

There’s some mention of Cass on here who, in my view, is the best ball playing CH in this division, the compromise is he’s not the best defender.  Where else do you see a central defender overlapping your wingback on a regular basis.  Where else do you see your central defender going on surging runs on a regular basis. It’s fantastic to watch.  The flip side is that he needs to be a bit tougher when defending balls in the air and I’m sure as he matures this side of his game will improve.  He should’ve been much tighter to Angol today.  No need to win the ball but just compete to stop the free header.

4 minutes ago, Bob Newtonian said:

But the season doesn’t end on the 1st January….. we will need out own players firing on all cylinders for the business end of the season and we won’t have that if we play a maverick from another club instead of them. In all honesty I didn’t think Politic deserved to come on after his performance against Accrington he was awful.

In 256 minutes for us he has scored 2 goals assisted one and had a number of other decent efforts that have foced the keeper into decent saves and you say he didnt deserve to come on and Rodney who after coming on every time this season has been awful.  So what your saying after one poor slightly off game you deserve dropping completely.

Just now, Guitar Ray said:

There’s some mention if Cass on here who, in my view, is the best ball playing CH in this division, the compromise is he’s not the best defender.  Where else do you see a central defender overlapping your wingback on a regular basis.  Where else do you see your central defender going on surging runs on a regular basis. It’s fantastic to watch.  The flip side is that he needs to be a bit tougher when defending balls in the air and I’m sure as he matures this side of his game will improve.  He should’ve been much tighter to Angol today.  No need to win the ball but just compete to stop the free header.

Cass is a good prospect who didn’t have his best game today… but he s been great for vale this year. Our problem was Wilson going off it made us use a third sub in s forward position rather than doing our normal switch of bringing Martin’s on for his extra height

1 minute ago, valefan79 said:

In 256 minutes for us he has scored 2 goals assisted one and had a number of other decent efforts that have foced the keeper into decent saves and you say he didnt deserve to come on and Rodney who after coming on every time this season has been awful.  So what your saying after one poor slightly off game you deserve dropping completely.

Nope I haven’t said that all … you ve said that not me. 
We were 1:0 up and needed a central striker to replace Amoo… he went with Rodney rather than a loan player who performed poorly the game before and plays out wide and hasn’t really a defensive bone  in his body a perfectly rational decision I think… especially as his parent club is already making noises about recalling him.

Then we needed to replace an injured central striker in Wilson and he went with an on loan central striker who almost won us the game rather than a wide player again a perfectly understandable decision

if we were 1:0 down it would have been a different set of variables to consider with possibly a different substitution. 

we are starting to see a pattern from the types of goals we are conceding lately. Big man cross in the box and our current 3 can’t deal with it. if we get that right then we will have a lot more points. teams will see this trend and start doing what Sutton did and just fling it in because they know our current 3 are weak at attacking the ball. can’t complain right now where we are in the league but i do hope we sort this defensive frailty out 

2 minutes ago, Bob Newtonian said:

Nope I haven’t said that all … you ve said that not me. 
We were 1:0 up and needed a central striker to replace Amoo… he went with Rodney rather than a loan player who performed poorly the game before and plays out wide and hasn’t really a defensive bone  in his body a perfectly rational decision I think… especially as his parent club is already making noises about recalling him.

Then we needed to replace an injured central striker in Wilson and he went with an on loan central striker who almost won us the game rather than a wide player again a perfectly understandable decision

if we were 1:0 down it would have been a different set of variables to consider with possibly a different substitution. 

Don't think we will agree on this one and fair enough your entitled to your opinion.  I agree with everything Clarke usually does but for me maybe got this one wrong today. Politic can play anywhere across the front 3 and while defensively probably offers nothing, neither does Rodney, think their defence would have been more troubled by the trickery of Politic.  Anyway despite not been at our best today, was important not to lose and I am sure Bradford will be up there towards the end of season and 3 big games coming up where if we play to how we can, I have no doubt we can be getting be getting 7 or 9 points.

3 minutes ago, valefan79 said:

Politic can play anywhere across the front 3 and while defensively probably offers nothing, neither does Rodney, think their defence would have been more troubled by the trickery of Politic. 

There’s the key phrase.  A front 3. We didn’t play with a front 3 and clearly Clarke didn’t want to lose a body in midfield. So politic in a front 2 doesn’t work IMO. I’m not saying that Rodney worked either because he didn’t perform when he came on, but if we’re playing 2 up top then politic doesn’t fall into being able to play that role.

33 minutes ago, Bob Newtonian said:

Cass is a good prospect who didn’t have his best game today… but he s been great for vale this year. Our problem was Wilson going off it made us use a third sub in s forward position rather than doing our normal switch of bringing Martin’s on for his extra height

Wilson going off wasn’t ideal but I think the real problem was our lack of quality with the ball, too many soft turnovers. It’s ifs and ands but if Smithy clears that ball into touch there’s no cross coming in to defend.  I’ll repeat what I said earlier that most of their attacks came from a sloppy pass from one of our players.

Archived