onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: FLT G3 : Port Vale v Liverpool U21

Fosse69

Advert

2 hours ago, CambridgeDon said:

There was one famous occasion when the Vale fans trooped round to the Hamil End for the second half when it was covered in snow and gave the opposition goalie a nice wave as he reached his goal area. As soon as he faced the play a hail of snow balls cascaded down from the heights of the Hamil and covered him in snow. He wasn't amused but it was pretty funny at the time.

Wouldn't happen today though, we'd probably get reported and fined.

The good old days.

Wouldn't happen becuase the game wouldn't go ahead if there is a flake in the air. 

2 hours ago, Iron Curtain said:

I get the sentiment here... but its statements like this I can never get on board with for a current player.

To say that Mel Benning is "Just not very good" isnt the right thing to say .... To say he isnt playing very well, I totally agree with.

But we cant just write people off as rubbish... DCs shake up of the rabble we had last season proves the case that there are a load of factors that contribute to good players performing poorly or vice versa.

He has had a long illustrious career as a player at a team where the fans worship him.... league 1 clubs were reportedly after him.

He's not rubbish... he's just not performing. But there is absolutely a path from here for DC and Crosby to work with him and help him to click.

I'd argue that having a 'long, illustrious career as a player at a team where fans worship him' is all good and well, if that club wasn't Mansfield Town. So he's very well regarded at a team who in his time there finished in the play-offs once in six seasons. My personal feeling is that his penchant for 'scoring worldies' masked his lack of ability as a player. He's on a one year deal and I'd be hugely surprised if he's here beyond June. It's my assessment that he's on the downward trend and looks every bit a National League 'only ever 80% fit' player.

Side note: I know that we're all loving what's happening at the club and we're in a phase where any criticism or negativity is banned. But people are still allowed opinions on players. We need another great window in the summer and more ruthless decisions from management to get us ready for a tilt at the top half of L1 next season. Let's not kid ourselves that players like Mal Benning should be a part of that journey. If it was down to many posters on here, we'd still be watching Luke Joyce and Scott Brown strut their stuff.

1 hour ago, jjvale_03 said:

I'd argue that having a 'long, illustrious career as a player at a team where fans worship him' is all good and well, if that club wasn't Mansfield Town. So he's very well regarded at a team who in his time there finished in the play-offs once in six seasons. My personal feeling is that his penchant for 'scoring worldies' masked his lack of ability as a player. He's on a one year deal and I'd be hugely surprised if he's here beyond June. It's my assessment that he's on the downward trend and looks every bit a National League 'only ever 80% fit' player.

Side note: I know that we're all loving what's happening at the club and we're in a phase where any criticism or negativity is banned. But people are still allowed opinions on players. We need another great window in the summer and more ruthless decisions from management to get us ready for a tilt at the top half of L1 next season. Let's not kid ourselves that players like Mal Benning should be a part of that journey. If it was down to many posters on here, we'd still be watching Luke Joyce and Scott Brown strut their stuff.

I don't think its negative to give an opinion on a player as long as its fair. Benning hasn't lived up to the hype. Maybe its the system we play or maybe he is just out of form or he has not settled as quickly as he would of hoped. The thing is he just hasn't looked as good as others in his position. 

7 hours ago, valefan16 said:

Every kid is taught to play the Pep way... but have zero physical nous at all. The first and fifth goal show why you cant do that against EFL sides.

To be fair, you can't teach someone to be more physical -they develop and bulk out at their own pace. If you come back in 10 years time I'm sure that at least one of those players last night will be a household name. I do though question the wisdom of putting them in against beasts like Leon Legge, their striker is never going to win the ball in a month of Sundays. Must be really demoralising.

8 minutes ago, knapperm said:

It was definitely Hartlepool around 1970-72, the funniest part was after bombarding the goalkeeper who went further away, a policeman came across the pitch towards the supporters and as he got to the penalty spot he got the sameemoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.png

I was on the Hamil that night, that itself was a hazard the snow wasn't moved from the terrace so the game would not be played today, but the funniest thing for me was after the avalanche of snow balls that the copper and the referee got, if you imagine Agincourt and the arrows then the sky was full of snow balls, hundreds of them but it was the 2 or 3 that kept landing round his feet every few seconds that wound him up, he never knew if one would whack him at the back of his head.

1 hour ago, knapperm said:

It was definitely Hartlepool around 1970-72, the funniest part was after bombarding the goalkeeper who went further away, a policeman came across the pitch towards the supporters and as he got to the penalty spot he got the sameemoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.png

Yesssss....I remember that!! Halifax, Hartlepool I knew it started with H...😗  I remember the bobby walking towards the Hamil with his arms outstreched looking like "Come on, Lads, behave" only to beat a hasty retreat as he got bombarded accompanied to much laughing and cheering from the Paddock...Happy Days!

4 hours ago, jjvale_03 said:

He’s not been brilliant granted but he’s 100x better than Fitzpatrick was. Think your being overly critical of him to be honest he’s still been ok. As you say 1 year deal, if we go up he won’t sign so there’s no real negative for us. Dosent help that he’s used to playing in a flat back 4 and we are asking him to play as a left wing back, does need to improve and probably has been our weakest signing (especially considering his previous). There’s still time though, and he again he’s not been that bad 

I wouldn't say Benning has been crap. Just not up the level we might have expected. He says so himself. Think he's not fitted in with system so far. Seems to be a bit up when he should be back and back when he should be up.

Not a write off. Thoughts on Amos? Thought he's done pretty well and worth a deal come Jan until the end of the season.

6 hours ago, jjvale_03 said:

No one is banning opinions … By all means, if he hasn’t improved by June I will happily wave him off.

lm simply saying it may be a bit premature and definitive to write him off in November.

13 hours ago, valefan16 said:

but have zero physical nous at all.

Of course... They are kids. Most of them don't even have their man bodies fully yet. But technically some of them looked great and will no doubt go on to have some really good careers, despite the result. Think had they had 4 or 5 of the regulars in from the under 21 set up it would have been a much more competitive scoreline in the end than it was.

Archived