onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: FLT G3 : Port Vale v Liverpool U21

Fosse69

5 hours ago, andy jones said:

Went on holiday tonight and sat in Railway rather than Lorne Street Stand.

Looking around and across to Lorne Street what a superb Football Stadium we now have (not one of those modern bathtub stadiums) a true traditional football ground. Fantastic.

I used to go on the bank at back of Hamil as a kid 65 years ago and if I had known then how the stadium would look now I would have been well chuffed.

I could hardly see the pitch from up there, it was so high.

Vale fans in the Bycars used to move round to the Hamil Road End before the game started or at half time depending which end the Vale were kicking towards, if it was before the game the fans used to walk back to the Bycars at half time. It was freezing on the Hamil in the winter.

Advert

Was all too easy and shows how far away they are when we make 8 changes and pump them for 5 in first gear.

Gordon is talented and been in the first team a couple of times and the Polish lad was good dribbling with the ball... maybe an option is Dennis goes back in January to look at.

Every kid is taught to play the Pep way... but have zero physical nous at all. The first and fifth goal show why you cant do that against EFL sides.

OK it was men against boys but didn't our whole squad play really well? A call out here though for their right winger- he looks to have a future ahead of him . well played lad!

Jake Taylor shone out superbly. He really is blossoming into a super, talented player for us. He "bossed" the midfield all night and his energy, defence splitting passes and surging runs through the middle were an absolute delight to witness. I have had the pleasure of watching many great midfielders for us in the past but Jake now is maturing into one of the very, very best. Ray Walker was a similar player and this lad reminds me so much of Ray.

The conversation in Lorne Street centred around how we could fit him into the first team on a regular basis as no one can honestly ask for Pett or Conlon to drop out. It has to be a nightmare for Clarke but one he presumably loves!

I am now firmly of the opinion that our squad is not only good enough for Division 2 but we have many players who will grace Division 1 and maybe higher if we can keep them together.

Jones, Smith, Pett, Cass, Conlon, Taylor, Wilson, Worrall, Proctor, Politic and Gibbons are a nucleus of a fine Team. Add to that Rodney, Amoo, Lloyd, Garrity and Hurst and it makes for good reading for our prospects. Also who knows what the matrix have in mind to better our squad? The future is bright, the future is Port Vale.

2 hours ago, onestepatatime said:

OK it was men against boys but didn't our whole squad play really well? A call out here though for their right winger- he looks to have a future ahead of him . well played lad!

Jake Taylor shone out superbly. He really is blossoming into a super, talented player for us. He "bossed" the midfield all night and his energy, defence splitting passes and surging runs through the middle were an absolute delight to witness. I have had the pleasure of watching many great midfielders for us in the past but Jake now is maturing into one of the very, very best. Ray Walker was a similar player and this lad reminds me so much of Ray.

The conversation in Lorne Street centred around how we could fit him into the first team on a regular basis as no one can honestly ask for Pett or Conlon to drop out. It has to be a nightmare for Clarke but one he presumably loves!

I am now firmly of the opinion that our squad is not only good enough for Division 2 but we have many players who will grace Division 1 and maybe higher if we can keep them together.

Jones, Smith, Pett, Cass, Conlon, Taylor, Wilson, Worrall, Proctor, Politic and Gibbons are a nucleus of a fine Team. Add to that Rodney, Amoo, Lloyd, Garrity and Hurst and it makes for good reading for our prospects. Also who knows what the matrix have in mind to better our squad? The future is bright, the future is Port Vale.

To be fair I was a bit disappointed in Amos and Benning in how they handled their winger, not one of them left something in on him at any point to make him think twice when he got the ball again. It’s all part and parcel of the game. 

9 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

To be fair I was a bit disappointed in Amos and Benning in how they handled their winger, not one of them left something in on him at any point to make him think twice when he got the ball again. It’s all part and parcel of the game. 

Benning's just not very good. One half decent 45 minutes - where he also managed to score a decent goal - doesn't mask the general level of performance this season.

1 minute ago, jjvale_03 said:

Benning's just not very good. One half decent 45 minutes - where he also managed to score a decent goal - doesn't mask the general level of performance this season.

Definitely been a disappointment to what I was expecting. However as a reserve left back he's a million times better than Fitzpatrick ever was. Not as that's a good yardstick. 

Really strange how he's struggling. I put it down to the back 5 formation. Probably far more comfortable in a back 4 . 

14 minutes ago, jjvale_03 said:

I get the sentiment here... but its statements like this I can never get on board with for a current player.

To say that Mel Benning is "Just not very good" isnt the right thing to say .... To say he isnt playing very well, I totally agree with.

But we cant just write people off as rubbish... DCs shake up of the rabble we had last season proves the case that there are a load of factors that contribute to good players performing poorly or vice versa.

He has had a long illustrious career as a player at a team where the fans worship him.... league 1 clubs were reportedly after him.

He's not rubbish... he's just not performing. But there is absolutely a path from here for DC and Crosby to work with him and help him to click.

9 hours ago, Paul6754 said:

I could hardly see the pitch from up there, it was so high.

Vale fans in the Bycars used to move round to the Hamil Road End before the game started or at half time depending which end the Vale were kicking towards, if it was before the game the fans used to walk back to the Bycars at half time. It was freezing on the Hamil in the winter.

There was one famous occasion when the Vale fans trooped round to the Hamil End for the second half when it was covered in snow and gave the opposition goalie a nice wave as he reached his goal area. As soon as he faced the play a hail of snow balls cascaded down from the heights of the Hamil and covered him in snow. He wasn't amused but it was pretty funny at the time.

Wouldn't happen today though, we'd probably get reported and fined.

The good old days.

5 minutes ago, CambridgeDon said:

There was one famous occasion when the Vale fans trooped round to the Hamil End for the second half when it was covered in snow and gave the opposition goalie a nice wave as he reached his goal area. As soon as he faced the play a hail of snow balls cascaded down from the heights of the Hamil and covered him in snow. He wasn't amused but it was pretty funny at the time.

Wouldn't happen today though, we'd probably get reported and fined.

The good old days.

I was there for that but on the Railway Paddock.....Funniest thing I'd ever seen at a proper football match as a young un ....in my mind I think it was v Halifax, don't know why though! Sure one of us Owd Gits on here can remember properly?

53 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

I get the sentiment here... but its statements like this I can never get on board with for a current player.

To say that Mel Benning is "Just not very good" isnt the right thing to say .... To say he isnt playing very well, I totally agree with.

But we cant just write people off as rubbish... DCs shake up of the rabble we had last season proves the case that there are a load of factors that contribute to good players performing poorly or vice versa.

He has had a long illustrious career as a player at a team where the fans worship him.... league 1 clubs were reportedly after him.

He's not rubbish... he's just not performing. But there is absolutely a path from here for DC and Crosby to work with him and help him to click.

Would you say the same about Theo’s time with us? He never got going for us yet scored goals at most other clubs 🤣

19 minutes ago, ClntonBoulton said:

I was there for that but on the Railway Paddock.....Funniest thing I'd ever seen at a proper football match as a young un ....in my mind I think it was v Halifax, don't know why though! Sure one of us Owd Gits on here can remember properly?

I certainly remember playing Rochdale in a snowstorm and the keeper getting pelted with snowballs.

I seem to think it was a night match and we won 5-1.

17 hours ago, ollyandpatch said:

I keep saying it but I just don't see where the goals are going to come from this season. !!!!!🤘

Incredibly, Taylors goal meant that we now have 16 different players who have scored so far with a 3rd of the season gone. Have we ever had so many different scorers in 1 season? Other than the keepers there can't be many who haven't. Legge nearly made it 17 with his 1st touch/ header been well saved and Martin finished it off.

Incredibly, Taylors goal meant that we now have 16 different players who have scored so far with a 3rd of the season gone. Have we ever had so many different scorers in 1 season? Other than the keepers there can't be many who haven't. Legge nearly made it 17 with his 1st touch/ header been well saved and Martin finished it off.
Surely Covolan and Stone will be given penalties to take if we ever have any.

53 minutes ago, mbycars said:

Legge,Jones, Johnson ,Walker other than that I'm struggling to think of someone else who hasn't notched 

Archived