Tom Conlon

Beech

31 minutes ago, wotsyobeef said:

You get nothing for loyalty in modern football. If a club were to offer Tom 3 or more times his current wages he would be foolish not to take it even if it was at the same level. Fortunes can change quickly in football, he is only ever a recurring injury away from being called a waste of a wage, sicknote and a burden on the squad by most of the fanbase. It would be nice if this wasn't the case but to think any different is foolish in my opinion.

you re right of course however......

No one in league 2 is going to offer 3 or more times what vale can : FFP rules combined with our rich(er) owners means that's not going to happen. Unlikely that a league 1 club will offer that on the strength of good season in league 2 and even less likely that a championship club would look at him currently.....

I  think we are in a good position with him and he still has it all to prove in terms of playing at a higher level or even over a full season in league 2 so I think we are getting ahead of ourselves somewhat. 

• Like 1

No one in league 2 is going to offer 3 or more times what vale can : FFP rules combined with our rich(er) owners means that's not going to happen. Unlikely that a league 1 club will offer that on the strength of good season in league 2 and even less likely that a championship club would look at him currently.....
I  think we are in a good position with him and he still has it all to prove in terms of playing at a higher level or even over a full season in league 2 so I think we are getting ahead of ourselves somewhat. 
Bury did it with an ageing Tom Pope on a long term contract. OK we had a different owner but I wouldn't want or expect the current owners to destroy the structure that they have built because a nuts club like Sunderland for example decide they want him.

50 minutes ago, wotsyobeef said:
On 02/11/2021 at 08:16, Bob Newtonian said:

Bury did it with an ageing Tom Pope on a long term contract. OK we had a different owner but I wouldn't want or expect the current owners to destroy the structure that they have built because a nuts club like Sunderland for example decide they want him.

The reason the fair play rules were brought in was because of clubs like Bury! Plus we were in league 1 then and to be honest Pope never looked as convincing in league 1. 

4 hours ago, wotsyobeef said:

But Sunderland are in league 1.... my point is that no one in league 2 is going to offer him 3 times his salary due to FFP and as he s unproven in league 1 its unlikely that he will be offered something like that even from Sunderland... leven less likely of course if we are able to offer him League 1 football here next year which we all hope

55 minutes ago, Bob Newtonian said:

But Sunderland are in league 1.... my point is that no one in league 2 is going to offer him 3 times his salary due to FFP and as he s unproven in league 1 its unlikely that he will be offered something like that even from Sunderland... leven less likely of course if we are able to offer him League 1 football here next year which we all hope

They have 5 times our attendance. They still have players signed when they were in the prem and championship whose contracts are expiring. I would say that a contract on 3 times what we are paying would probably be a pittance to them and well worth taking a punt on one of the best performing centre mids in the league below. 

I don't know how accurate this is but it gives you an idea of what money they may have available if 35 year old McGeady's contract expires at the end of the year.

2021-11-03 13.46.56 salarysport.com 1891850004ce.jpg

20 minutes ago, wotsyobeef said:

They have 5 times our attendance. They still have players signed when they were in the prem and championship whose contracts are expiring. I would say that a contract on 3 times what we are paying would probably be a pittance to them and well worth taking a punt on one of the best performing centre mids in the league below. 

I don't know how accurate this is but it gives you an idea of what money they may have available if 35 year old McGeady's contract expires at the end of the year.

2021-11-03 13.46.56 salarysport.com 1891850004ce.jpg

I think I read/heard somewhere, that Sunderlands parachute payments were/are coming to an end, which is why they have to lower their budget considerably

Edited by Danish Valiant

Generally agree with this though I think there are several L1 clubs desperate to get back into Tier 2 who might take a chance on TC, like Sunderland, Wednesday, Ipswich and especially Portsmouth, a club with big crowds and high expectations who just lack that magic touch. TC has also already been linked with Charlton on the rumour mill and I wonder if even Bolton might want him. The problem is that L1 is now full of clubs who shouldn't really be there, with deep pockets.

For me, it would be very disruptive to lose our captain and arguably best player halfway through the season and the most sensible line would be to tell clubs to come back in June. By that time, we'll know where we are and so will Tom who, hopefully, will want to stay with the club that he's captained to promotion. Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

I think I read/heard somewhere, that Sunderlands parachute payments were/are coming to an end, which is why they have to lower their budget considerably
I think last season was their final parachute payment. Mcgeady was reported to be on 19000 a week last season when they loaned him to Charlton before renewing his contract despite them not having parachute payments this year.

28 minutes ago, wotsyobeef said:
2 hours ago, Danish Valiant said:

I think last season was their final parachute payment. Mcgeady was reported to be on 19000 a week last season when they loaned him to Charlton before renewing his contract despite them not having parachute payments this year.

It was 2019-20 that was the last year of the parachute payments.  This is their second season without them.

• Like 1