Tom Conlon

Beech

Conlon is too good for L2 - simple as that.

The management team sold him a dream to extend his contract, DC said in the summer it was the best and most important signing. It also demonstrated the intent of the club to potential new recruits.

If Conlon keeps improving over the next 12 months, the same rate as the previous 12, I think he will be in the championship and we will pocket some serious money. I would be very surprised to see him leave this season based  on the dream which is steadily becoming reality.

Huge credit should also go to Askey and Danny Pugh. Askey really got him playing a quicker and stopped him dwelling on the ball along with a much higher work rate while Danny gave him the captaincy which has given him so much confidence.

Edited by MBE
  • Like 1

Advert:

Top class player for Vale, when teams stand off him he just picks them apart. If I was the an opposition manager I'd have someone standing on his feet all game. His ability with free-kicks is a huge bonus and it's superb being able to watch him every week. He and the likes of Jake Taylor are the type and quality of player football fans go to watch.

Hope he stays at Vale but he must be on the radar of a few clubs.

Advert:

Just nothing to dislike about him. Top quality in every respect, and a proper connection with the fans.

I fear that, with the length of his contract, he will have a higher-division release clause built in (I'd guess around 2-300k). I can't imagine he'd sign up for 3 years without it.

He may choose to stay, of course, considering our trajectory and he can increase his options even more with another 10 goal season as captain of a promotion-contending side. 

Inevitable we get offers; clubs will already know him as his highlight reel is a joke. Scouts will see how good he is away from his belters. His character references are as good as they get. He's still improving.

Still, I've never had such faith in our set-up to either a) convince him to stay, or b) if he goes, reinvest wisely. I'd miss him dearly if he went but be sanguine about the future.

Edited by Joe B
  • Like 2

As stated above, Tom has added a bit more steel and muscle to his game and become a real force in midfield.  His free kicks are wonderful, but in the early days he was often bounced off the ball by the opposition players who liked to get their challenges in early.  Crawley were similar on Saturday - they tried to disrupt our rhythm with nudges and pushes before the ball arrived, or lean in heavily as our player received the ball. Tom has learned to resist this and shape his body to shield the ball so he can play the pass he wants to.  I really enjoyed watching him on Saturday - he was determined to get on the ball and stay on the ball, and the only way they could deal with him was to foul him. Great asset to have in our team. Would love to see him lead us in to League 1.

• Like 2

I don’t think we need to worry if we get promotion. League 1 should keep him happy and I’d imagine most of our great performers would be happy to stay for a crack at the division. 

Conlon has been brilliant. Incredible that he never really stood out for Stevenage but like Jennison Myrie Williams became a different player at Vale once he’d left them. 

He is a excellent player but I feel he could improve even more so .
I think Pett and Garrity have helped improve him also the work those lads do is tremendous and allows Tom to do his thing however at present I think there are 7 players in our team playing better than him generally in our team but in a good side he flourishes no doubt about it his quality his showing gamely now long may it continue and if it leads to a move to a higher division side so be it he has earnt it and if gets Vale a fair whack then everyone's a winner .
His free kicks and dead ball delivery are very good the quality on them is top notch let's hope he continues with that level of excellence as we have seen in many of past seasons work sloppiness out of possession has come back to haunt tge Vale all players need to maintain there standards if Vale are to have a good season but because of the quality around Tom I'm not concerned that standards will slip in fact I think they could be highered even somewhat more .
UTV

• Like 1

Advert:

I too have faith that Captain Tom would like to get success and promotion with us...but you never know? However - unless he has an absurdly low release clause - we ought to get good money for him. If he goes, I'd hope that money would be offered to Bolton for Politic...with a high sell-on percentage? Similarly, if Smudge or Gibbo go (Gibbo after he's signed a new deal to help us get that cash?) we could offer Newcastle a fee for Cass? I don't remember us being in this situation before? And, even if we didn't get the replacements already with us, I'm confident the Matrix would have alternatives? UTV

• Like 1

The 3 year deal is in our favour (thanks Carol)

Him being from Porthill, so family and deep roots in the area, is in our favour 

His academy with Smithy is in our favour 

Football outside of the upper echelons of the prawn sandwich league is a sine wave of peaks and troughs and I'm getting an unsettling feeling (because we're not used to good things here, it's alien, it's been an awful slog in so many ways since the 90s) that thanks to Carol and Kevin we're on the beginning of a hopefully stretched out and tall wave, the first milestone being a promotion this season and TC captaining his local side in L1 next year, so local you can probably see the floodlights from wherever he lived in Porthill. I don't know if he's a lifelong Vale fan like Pope, someone on here said TC is their cousin so perhaps they could say for sure, but some of the stars are aligning to look suspiciously like 2012. New* owners, tough passionate manager, local lads in the side, exciting football.

I know the academy is rightfully under the Flitcroft microscope at the moment due to historic under performance but I think there's something quite prideful and very authentic about Gibbo, Smith, Wilson, Conlon, Hurst and Bailey being from SOT (+ Aidan Stone being from Stafford) There'll be quite a few lads in the stands at VP who went to school with Vale first teamers scoring headers at the Etihad or constantly putting free kicks away in the league, in terms of trying to get generations of kids down to Vale I don't think you can beat the free marketing of the kids at Wolstanton High school being inspired by the fact that the captain of the local side also went there and now plays in front of thousands and on sky tv, the foundation should be and hopefully is hammering those local links. 

*Some poetic license as it's now their 3rd season but you know what I mean, they're relatively new.

• Like 6

10 hours ago, robf said:

I think it shows that everyone takes a little while to get to top form when they haven't got that match sharpness. It took Wilson a few games to bed in and last 90 mins. So, I hope people are patient with Rodney when he returns as he's lost a fair few minutes of action now. He won't be sharp immediately.

But back to Conlon - he's a real asset. Some of his free-kicks remind me of Ray Walker, which in the Fielding family, is about as high as praise can get... 👍

You are probably right, but I just don’t remember thinking Ray would score from any free-kicks around the area like I do currently with Conlon. Ray is my favorite player of all time, but I’d have Tom on dead ball kicks on current form.

• Like 2

Advert:

I love TC as a player and my sun gos to the academy school  he has with smugger they are both grate with the kids and my lad has come on leaps and bounds since he started going. They have all ways got a nice word for the kids, dont take any slacking tho. UTV

• Like 2

Think like most league 2 players he needs to perform  in league 1 before championship clubs get interested……I still think there’s quite a gap between the two leagues in particular in pace and power.

If we do go up I can’t see him being in a rush to sign for a league 1 club… danger is if we get stuck in league 2 In which case he ll surely want a move to a league 1 club.

So balls in our court to some degree for a change…. Praise be to the new contract he signed!

You get nothing for loyalty in modern football. If a club were to offer Tom 3 or more times his current wages he would be foolish not to take it even if it was at the same level. Fortunes can change quickly in football, he is only ever a recurring injury away from being called a waste of a wage, sicknote and a burden on the squad by most of the fanbase. It would be nice if this wasn't the case but to think any different is foolish in my opinion.

Edited by wotsyobeef
  • Like 1