onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Tom Conlon

Beech

Advert

The 3 year deal is in our favour (thanks Carol)

Him being from Porthill, so family and deep roots in the area, is in our favour 

His academy with Smithy is in our favour 

Football outside of the upper echelons of the prawn sandwich league is a sine wave of peaks and troughs and I'm getting an unsettling feeling (because we're not used to good things here, it's alien, it's been an awful slog in so many ways since the 90s) that thanks to Carol and Kevin we're on the beginning of a hopefully stretched out and tall wave, the first milestone being a promotion this season and TC captaining his local side in L1 next year, so local you can probably see the floodlights from wherever he lived in Porthill. I don't know if he's a lifelong Vale fan like Pope, someone on here said TC is their cousin so perhaps they could say for sure, but some of the stars are aligning to look suspiciously like 2012. New* owners, tough passionate manager, local lads in the side, exciting football.

I know the academy is rightfully under the Flitcroft microscope at the moment due to historic under performance but I think there's something quite prideful and very authentic about Gibbo, Smith, Wilson, Conlon, Hurst and Bailey being from SOT (+ Aidan Stone being from Stafford) There'll be quite a few lads in the stands at VP who went to school with Vale first teamers scoring headers at the Etihad or constantly putting free kicks away in the league, in terms of trying to get generations of kids down to Vale I don't think you can beat the free marketing of the kids at Wolstanton High school being inspired by the fact that the captain of the local side also went there and now plays in front of thousands and on sky tv, the foundation should be and hopefully is hammering those local links. 

*Some poetic license as it's now their 3rd season but you know what I mean, they're relatively new.

10 hours ago, robf said:

I think it shows that everyone takes a little while to get to top form when they haven't got that match sharpness. It took Wilson a few games to bed in and last 90 mins. So, I hope people are patient with Rodney when he returns as he's lost a fair few minutes of action now. He won't be sharp immediately.

But back to Conlon - he's a real asset. Some of his free-kicks remind me of Ray Walker, which in the Fielding family, is about as high as praise can get... 👍

You are probably right, but I just don’t remember thinking Ray would score from any free-kicks around the area like I do currently with Conlon. Ray is my favorite player of all time, but I’d have Tom on dead ball kicks on current form.

I love TC as a player and my sun gos to the academy school  he has with smugger they are both grate with the kids and my lad has come on leaps and bounds since he started going. They have all ways got a nice word for the kids, dont take any slacking tho. UTV

Think like most league 2 players he needs to perform  in league 1 before championship clubs get interested……I still think there’s quite a gap between the two leagues in particular in pace and power.

If we do go up I can’t see him being in a rush to sign for a league 1 club… danger is if we get stuck in league 2 In which case he ll surely want a move to a league 1 club.

So balls in our court to some degree for a change…. Praise be to the new contract he signed!

You get nothing for loyalty in modern football. If a club were to offer Tom 3 or more times his current wages he would be foolish not to take it even if it was at the same level. Fortunes can change quickly in football, he is only ever a recurring injury away from being called a waste of a wage, sicknote and a burden on the squad by most of the fanbase. It would be nice if this wasn't the case but to think any different is foolish in my opinion.

31 minutes ago, wotsyobeef said:

You get nothing for loyalty in modern football. If a club were to offer Tom 3 or more times his current wages he would be foolish not to take it even if it was at the same level. Fortunes can change quickly in football, he is only ever a recurring injury away from being called a waste of a wage, sicknote and a burden on the squad by most of the fanbase. It would be nice if this wasn't the case but to think any different is foolish in my opinion.

you re right of course however......

No one in league 2 is going to offer 3 or more times what vale can : FFP rules combined with our rich(er) owners means that's not going to happen. Unlikely that a league 1 club will offer that on the strength of good season in league 2 and even less likely that a championship club would look at him currently.....

I  think we are in a good position with him and he still has it all to prove in terms of playing at a higher level or even over a full season in league 2 so I think we are getting ahead of ourselves somewhat. 

No one in league 2 is going to offer 3 or more times what vale can : FFP rules combined with our rich(er) owners means that's not going to happen. Unlikely that a league 1 club will offer that on the strength of good season in league 2 and even less likely that a championship club would look at him currently.....
I  think we are in a good position with him and he still has it all to prove in terms of playing at a higher level or even over a full season in league 2 so I think we are getting ahead of ourselves somewhat. 
Bury did it with an ageing Tom Pope on a long term contract. OK we had a different owner but I wouldn't want or expect the current owners to destroy the structure that they have built because a nuts club like Sunderland for example decide they want him.

50 minutes ago, wotsyobeef said:
On 02/11/2021 at 08:16, Bob Newtonian said:

Bury did it with an ageing Tom Pope on a long term contract. OK we had a different owner but I wouldn't want or expect the current owners to destroy the structure that they have built because a nuts club like Sunderland for example decide they want him.

The reason the fair play rules were brought in was because of clubs like Bury! Plus we were in league 1 then and to be honest Pope never looked as convincing in league 1. 

4 hours ago, wotsyobeef said:

But Sunderland are in league 1.... my point is that no one in league 2 is going to offer him 3 times his salary due to FFP and as he s unproven in league 1 its unlikely that he will be offered something like that even from Sunderland... leven less likely of course if we are able to offer him League 1 football here next year which we all hope

55 minutes ago, Bob Newtonian said:

But Sunderland are in league 1.... my point is that no one in league 2 is going to offer him 3 times his salary due to FFP and as he s unproven in league 1 its unlikely that he will be offered something like that even from Sunderland... leven less likely of course if we are able to offer him League 1 football here next year which we all hope

They have 5 times our attendance. They still have players signed when they were in the prem and championship whose contracts are expiring. I would say that a contract on 3 times what we are paying would probably be a pittance to them and well worth taking a punt on one of the best performing centre mids in the league below. 

I don't know how accurate this is but it gives you an idea of what money they may have available if 35 year old McGeady's contract expires at the end of the year.

2021-11-03 13.46.56 salarysport.com 1891850004ce.jpg

20 minutes ago, wotsyobeef said:

They have 5 times our attendance. They still have players signed when they were in the prem and championship whose contracts are expiring. I would say that a contract on 3 times what we are paying would probably be a pittance to them and well worth taking a punt on one of the best performing centre mids in the league below. 

I don't know how accurate this is but it gives you an idea of what money they may have available if 35 year old McGeady's contract expires at the end of the year.

2021-11-03 13.46.56 salarysport.com 1891850004ce.jpg

I think I read/heard somewhere, that Sunderlands parachute payments were/are coming to an end, which is why they have to lower their budget considerably

Generally agree with this though I think there are several L1 clubs desperate to get back into Tier 2 who might take a chance on TC, like Sunderland, Wednesday, Ipswich and especially Portsmouth, a club with big crowds and high expectations who just lack that magic touch. TC has also already been linked with Charlton on the rumour mill and I wonder if even Bolton might want him. The problem is that L1 is now full of clubs who shouldn't really be there, with deep pockets.

For me, it would be very disruptive to lose our captain and arguably best player halfway through the season and the most sensible line would be to tell clubs to come back in June. By that time, we'll know where we are and so will Tom who, hopefully, will want to stay with the club that he's captained to promotion. Fingers crossed.

Archived