onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Tom Conlon

Beech

When Askey kept him and let Hannant go I thought he'd got it the wrong way around.  I was wrong he was right, as the Colchester game showed in spades. He's developed into a very good L2 player, but personally I would not go too over the top. At least he is contracted so won't go for nowt.

Maybe now would be a good time to start trying to tie down a few more out of contract end of season who obviously could do L1 level. Gibbo, Smithy, Proctor, Amoo, Wozzer, them sort.

Advert

39 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Can anyone name a Vale player from history who as good as Conlon from set-pieces? Genuine question. It's like a penalty for him these days.

Yep, Mr Walker. At his pomp he was deadly. But Conlon is right up there for me.

Luckily we know have sensible owners who have thrown a big long contract at him to tie him down so we have the ball in our court, we don't have to sell and could hold out a year and he would still have 18 months on his contract at that point and could command a big fee still so would take a huge offer you'd hope.

TC Seems settled, club captain, has his academy school with Smudge I hope we can keep him until May at least and see where we are then.

If we go up then he may stay with us.

Conlon is too good for L2 - simple as that.

The management team sold him a dream to extend his contract, DC said in the summer it was the best and most important signing. It also demonstrated the intent of the club to potential new recruits.

If Conlon keeps improving over the next 12 months, the same rate as the previous 12, I think he will be in the championship and we will pocket some serious money. I would be very surprised to see him leave this season based  on the dream which is steadily becoming reality.

Huge credit should also go to Askey and Danny Pugh. Askey really got him playing a quicker and stopped him dwelling on the ball along with a much higher work rate while Danny gave him the captaincy which has given him so much confidence.

Top class player for Vale, when teams stand off him he just picks them apart. If I was the an opposition manager I'd have someone standing on his feet all game. His ability with free-kicks is a huge bonus and it's superb being able to watch him every week. He and the likes of Jake Taylor are the type and quality of player football fans go to watch.

Hope he stays at Vale but he must be on the radar of a few clubs.

Just nothing to dislike about him. Top quality in every respect, and a proper connection with the fans.

I fear that, with the length of his contract, he will have a higher-division release clause built in (I'd guess around 2-300k). I can't imagine he'd sign up for 3 years without it.

He may choose to stay, of course, considering our trajectory and he can increase his options even more with another 10 goal season as captain of a promotion-contending side. 

Inevitable we get offers; clubs will already know him as his highlight reel is a joke. Scouts will see how good he is away from his belters. His character references are as good as they get. He's still improving.

Still, I've never had such faith in our set-up to either a) convince him to stay, or b) if he goes, reinvest wisely. I'd miss him dearly if he went but be sanguine about the future.

As stated above, Tom has added a bit more steel and muscle to his game and become a real force in midfield.  His free kicks are wonderful, but in the early days he was often bounced off the ball by the opposition players who liked to get their challenges in early.  Crawley were similar on Saturday - they tried to disrupt our rhythm with nudges and pushes before the ball arrived, or lean in heavily as our player received the ball. Tom has learned to resist this and shape his body to shield the ball so he can play the pass he wants to.  I really enjoyed watching him on Saturday - he was determined to get on the ball and stay on the ball, and the only way they could deal with him was to foul him. Great asset to have in our team. Would love to see him lead us in to League 1.

I don’t think we need to worry if we get promotion. League 1 should keep him happy and I’d imagine most of our great performers would be happy to stay for a crack at the division. 

Conlon has been brilliant. Incredible that he never really stood out for Stevenage but like Jennison Myrie Williams became a different player at Vale once he’d left them. 

He is a excellent player but I feel he could improve even more so .
I think Pett and Garrity have helped improve him also the work those lads do is tremendous and allows Tom to do his thing however at present I think there are 7 players in our team playing better than him generally in our team but in a good side he flourishes no doubt about it his quality his showing gamely now long may it continue and if it leads to a move to a higher division side so be it he has earnt it and if gets Vale a fair whack then everyone's a winner .
His free kicks and dead ball delivery are very good the quality on them is top notch let's hope he continues with that level of excellence as we have seen in many of past seasons work sloppiness out of possession has come back to haunt tge Vale all players need to maintain there standards if Vale are to have a good season but because of the quality around Tom I'm not concerned that standards will slip in fact I think they could be highered even somewhat more .
UTV

I too have faith that Captain Tom would like to get success and promotion with us...but you never know? However - unless he has an absurdly low release clause - we ought to get good money for him. If he goes, I'd hope that money would be offered to Bolton for Politic...with a high sell-on percentage? Similarly, if Smudge or Gibbo go (Gibbo after he's signed a new deal to help us get that cash?) we could offer Newcastle a fee for Cass? I don't remember us being in this situation before? And, even if we didn't get the replacements already with us, I'm confident the Matrix would have alternatives? UTV

Archived