Match Thread: FAC 1 : Port Vale v Accrington Stanley

Fosse69

Advert:

2 hours ago, CambridgeDon said:

Yes, very modestly supported. Their gates vary a lot depending on the visitors, especially as there are a fair few local Lancashire clubs on their doorstep, sometimes doubling their gate. Hard core support seems to be about 2000-2500. I wonder how many will manage the relatively short journey to Vale Park - a few hundred perhaps?

You have to hand it to Coleman and co who are doing a fine job keeping them in League 1.

If you scroll down this page you'll see all of Accy's average attendances.  It's an absolute miracle they achieve what they do on these sort of gates.

EUROPEAN-FOOTBALL-STATISTICS.CO.UK

No need to rotate really as we have a week off and then only the pizza trophy in the midweek after. 

I think Taylor has done enough in recent weeks to merit a start in place of Garrity. Depending on fitness etc I would also bring Worrall in for Benning and move Gibbo back to the left.

Otherwise I’d go with the same side as yesterday if both Cass and Politic are allowed to play by parent clubs.

• Like 2

Advert:

Although they're in a league above I really fancy our chances. Hopefully we'll get close to 6K on the gate.
Got my ticket for 15 and my lad who is 18 to 21 for a tenner and my nephew under 17 5 quid so pricing I feel is very good lets get behind them the ones who do go UTV
A big game for me I love the FA Cup Man City away the other year the nineties stoke Everton Arsenal Southampton Crystal Palace Leeds etc .
I badly want them to progress .
John Colemans Accrington are a excellently run football club could not have asked for a harder tie.
Let's be at our best which we will need be
UTV
  • Like 4

No need to rotate really as we have a week off and then only the pizza trophy in the midweek after. 
I think Taylor has done enough in recent weeks to merit a start in place of Garrity. Depending on fitness etc I would also bring Worrall in for Benning and move Gibbo back to the left.
Otherwise I’d go with the same side as yesterday if both Cass and Politic are allowed to play by parent clubs.
I think DC is managing the squad well, always looking ahead to the next game as well. I expect a strong side for this one, maybe Proc back as well?

3 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

If you scroll down this page you'll see all of Accy's average attendances.  It's an absolute miracle they achieve what they do on these sort of gates.

EUROPEAN-FOOTBALL-STATISTICS.CO.UK

Thanks, Jacko - very interesting. I used this one, which tells you the visiting club for each game in which season:

WWW.FOOTBALLWEBPAGES.CO.UK

They clearly benefit from having so many Lancashire Derbies. And yes, a miracle what they've done on these crowds.

The FA Cup should be treated every bit as seriously as the league. Getting through to the 3rd or 4th round and getting a money-spinning, high profile tie generates huge interest in the club. 

How many of us look back at our time as Vale fans and can pinpoint the match that truly got us hooked. Spurs was the game for me. I'd been going with my dad since the early 80s but that unbelievable day was the day Vale truly got into my blood. 

It's those glory days, the giant killings, the vivid memories, the build up, etc... that football is all about for fans of lower league clubs. 

The filth at the top of the football ladder (Klopp, etc...) who belittle the FA Cup have succeeded and the widespread attitude is that the league is the "bread and butter". 

Proof of this will come on Saturday when our 1st round tie is likely to be played in front of 3500 rather than 6000.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, CambridgeDon said:

Thanks, Jacko - very interesting. I used this one, which tells you the visiting club for each game in which season:

WWW.FOOTBALLWEBPAGES.CO.UK

They clearly benefit from having so many Lancashire Derbies. And yes, a miracle what they've done on these crowds.

And maybe gives an answer to, why Andy Holt was so very very VERY much against carrying on, when Covid hit. Not that I agree with his points back then, as he was beyond negative and pessimistic, but I can see where he's coming from

Advert:

13 hours ago, valiant steve said:

The FA Cup should be treated every bit as seriously as the league. Getting through to the 3rd or 4th round and getting a money-spinning, high profile tie generates huge interest in the club. 

How many of us look back at our time as Vale fans and can pinpoint the match that truly got us hooked. Spurs was the game for me. I'd been going with my dad since the early 80s but that unbelievable day was the day Vale truly got into my blood. 

It's those glory days, the giant killings, the vivid memories, the build up, etc... that football is all about for fans of lower league clubs. 

The filth at the top of the football ladder (Klopp, etc...) who belittle the FA Cup have succeeded and the widespread attitude is that the league is the "bread and butter". 

Proof of this will come on Saturday when our 1st round tie is likely to be played in front of 3500 rather than 6000.  

Yes agree the premier League is ruining our EFL and belittling the asperations of us real football fans (real not plastic 😄)

• Like 1

Advert:

7 hours ago, darren1810 said:

The work Coleman has done Is incredible.

But even all these years his horrible Rochdale team get my goat up. Sure he was in charge of a 2-2 , Morsy sent off ? Not disputing the red but the antics by them and Coleman that night were vile 

Wonder if we'll get a repeat performance this time around? If he does try it, he'll find that DC's Port Vale is a different kettle of fish. Let's hope instead for a decent game of football (and a Vale win).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, darren1810 said:

The work Coleman has done Is incredible.

But even all these years his horrible Rochdale team get my goat up. Sure he was in charge of a 2-2 , Morsy sent off ? Not disputing the red but the antics by them and Coleman that night were vile 

Lotta fans wanted him here before the Dazzler, which I think makes this a fascinating tie, can't wait utv

The F.A cup always for me the best competition in the world it gives the so called minnows a game against the so called Elite .
Years ago Vale reached a semi final so when I hear folk say league is more important (yes it is in the grand scheme of things but Vales league form will look after itself if performances keep improving anyhow )so to me a cup run should be the aim .
Could you imagine if this team got a big club away or preferably at home ,i would confidently say we will give them a game .
So lets treat Accrington like Man City and get in that draw for the second round to set up home big game v Bradford following week for a shot at top place for a few hours
UTV

• Like 7