onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: FAC 1 : Port Vale v Accrington Stanley

Fosse69

I find Coleman's Monday interview pretty decent.

I think everything he says is true. Think many on here are getting a bit carried away by what he said in the interview immediately after the match when he was rightly frustrated that his team had let him down and was kicking out emotionally and throwing his dummy out a bit.

He is right in that they dominated the first half. He is correct in saying our Manager had to make a change at half time.

Although we were on top at the time of the sending off it was only 1-0 and as we all know that's still game on.

I didn't see the sending off incident but many on here seem to accept it was 50 50 in Smithy tripping him and their lad reacted. He gives us credit for playing them off the park when they went down to ten and we ran out worthy winners. He even says nice things about Vale fans.

Can I just say I thought the interviewer asked some good thought provoking questions.

I really admire Smithy because he plays football the right way, plays it hard. It's a real man's game (proverbially). At least it used to be.

Personally I hate time wasting and cheating. It's not what I personally want to see when I go a match but accept that cheating is part of the game these days. I hated Franny Lee for bringing diving to win a penalty into the English game. He started the rot which was already rife in the Italian game IMHO.

I remember Michael Owen dangling a leg out to 'win' a penalty for England against Germany. Penalties and free kicks should not be 'won'

The FA could kick cheating out of football in an instant by issuing long bans every time a player cheats. Would see some matches abandoned for not enough players left on pitch initially but it would clear the game of cheats.

Yet all the FA keep on about is showing Respect. How can a honest person Respect cheating? What a terrible thing to teach kids about life ... Cheating is ok as long as you get away with it!

Back on Vale, I openly admit I disliked Clarke's big I am and at times dis-respectful interviews last season. I don't think I was the only one to jump on his back at the earliest opportunity. The early home games this season I was giving him earache, it's expressing your opinion which is what footie is about.

I also believe that the quality of football we are playing now is the best I have seen since the Rudge years and I am delighted my initial fears at Clarke's appointment were by the looks of it way off the mark.

Like everyone else whose a Vale fan I am loving it. 

Above all else I am loving it for the owners who if they had not stepped in it would have seen the end of PVFC.

Advert

I think Coleman has got stick primarily due to his "they'll be lucky to play us next year" The rest was just classic 'manager moaning about the officials' line similar to Yems last week, but Coleman visibly wound himself up talking about the olés and chanting, and then made a silly comment in a moment of anger. He completely omitted any reference that comment in his interview today, interestingly, but spent 10 minutes banging on about everything else.

It isn't a massive deal, and we all still rate him - just funny to see a really experienced manager momentarily lose his composure when talking about Vale fans. It shows that chanting gets to managers/players and it isn't just background noise. We should press on with this sort of nonsense. Proper wind these lads up. If Coleman, 1146 games in, can't handle it, then these rookie frauds haven't a prayer. Into these.

8 minutes ago, andy jones said:

I didn't see the sending off incident but many on here seem to accept it was 50 50 in Smithy tripping him and their lad reacted. He gives us credit for playing them off the park when they went down to ten and we ran out worthy winners. He even says nice things about Vale fans.

Smithy might have tripped him. Looked a bit like he ran into Smithy to me. Bit of argy bargy but Smithy just picked himself up. No fuss. The nearest player 2m away (Cass I think) immediately threw his arms up, so some afters had gone one. Think their bloke got his arms around Smithy's neck. It was handbags, but you can't do that these days.  

Is Dan Jones back to being a platinum blonde?

20 minutes ago, toyahw said:

Smithy might have tripped him. Looked a bit like he ran into Smithy to me. Bit of argy bargy but Smithy just picked himself up. No fuss. The nearest player 2m away (Cass I think) immediately threw his arms up, so some afters had gone one. Think their bloke got his arms around Smithy's neck. It was handbags, but you can't do that these days.  

Is Dan Jones back to being a platinum blonde?

Yes, he is a much better player with it 😂

28 minutes ago, andy jones said:

Can I just say I thought the interviewer asked some good thought provoking questions.

I really admire Smithy because he plays football the right way, plays it hard. It's a real man's game (proverbially). At least it used to be.

From the video looks like a definite trip to me to which their player reacts by elbowing Smithy, probably all part of an ongoing feud and a bit reminiscent of the previous incident at Swindon involving Rodney. But that's no excuse for the elbow and, if Accy appeal the sending off, the accusation that Smithy provoked it won't cut any ice with the authorities. It would though bring Smithy to their attention as this is now two in a row, so the lad needs to be careful. Or, looking on the bright side, a few forwards might be now be holding back a bit more than they normally would. The lad's going to achieve cult status at this rate.

From what I saw from the highlights they defended poorly, Wilson was the perfect player to exploit their 3 big lads at the back, he was too quick, too fast footed and too clever for them, so was Lloyd. Also  Vale had the players to play the quality thru balls, the goal from Cass was a team work beauty.

Shame Coleman couldn’t bring himself to acknowledge such good play.

Strange comment enjoy it while it lasts ,to be honest I should imagine it could last for years if the players gel of which they are doing .
RZ if you are a Vale fan and if your on this forum I would like to think you are you should be over the
moon with the job DC is doing if not why not .
VALE ARE WINNING GAMES with style ,character and most of all superb team play .
If you cannot enjoy whats coming at you on a Saturday afternoon regularly from Vale now the present (not the past we could all be on here whinging about the past not that it changes anything )then you must be a very hard man to please .
UTV

From what I've seen on this thread:

1 - RZ keeps doubling down on his comments re Clarke, knowing that at some stage our winning streak will stop, and he can then say "told you so".  I have no beef with his difference in opinion, but there has to come a stage when you look at what is in front of you and admit "yeah, may have been wrong".  I look forward to that day, because it will mean we are still winning. 

2 - Smithy needs to watch himself - we are all talking about the dark arts as if it is payback time, because we have been victim of other teams using them a lot in recent years, but if he keeps being the player involved in red cards incidents, it will be noted.

3 - Clarke being curt with interviewers is understandable given the bilge that most interviewers offer him - if I was asked the same 2 minute questions by journalists who had no idea about what was going on behind the scenes, my patience would be tested,.  But he clearly loves football and wants to be a winner, and we should enjoy that his methods are working. 

4 - It's only November.

5 - Great that we are pulling in younger fans, and that the marketing department is getting in gear. That is the future of the club. I'm 60, and I will be the going for another 20 years God willing, but long term success is based on getting the youngsters in.

6- These are good times. Enjoy them.  I'm really excited to see who we get in the cup, knowing that even it is a league 1 team away, they will know they have been in a game.

4 hours ago, mr.hobblesworth said:

Pretty blatant trip from Smith!

Playground stuff from Smith for me rather than a trip.  Leaves a leg out, player runs into leg and falls over, player gets up grabs Smith round the neck and throws him to the floor, Smith gets straight up and back into position with no fuss.

Telling off / soft yellow for Smudger if it gets seen - no issue a definite red.  Same 2 players involved in a very similar incident about 10 minutes in.  They were lucky to have 11 players on as long as they did..  

6 minutes ago, Bald Eagle said:

Playground stuff from Smith for me rather than a trip.  Leaves a leg out, player runs into leg and falls over, player gets up grabs Smith round the neck and throws him to the floor, Smith gets straight up and back into position with no fuss.

Telling off / soft yellow for Smudger if it gets seen - no issue a definite red.  Same 2 players involved in a very similar incident about 10 minutes in.  They were lucky to have 11 players on as long as they did..  

Ah. So someone else did see the early incident.

Missed by the officials.

I think Coleman got so much stick for his first interview because of the ugliness of his team's approach, personified by Pell, who was utterly ridiculous.

I'm all for Vale standing their ground, but I abhor much of the gamesmanship that prevails, so hope that we don't overdo the skullduggery.

I want to be entertained, not cheated.

11 minutes ago, SFBT said:

I think Coleman got so much stick for his first interview because of the ugliness of his team's approach, personified by Pell, who was utterly ridiculous.

I'm all for Vale standing their ground, but I abhor much of the gamesmanship that prevails, so hope that we don't overdo the skullduggery.

I want to be entertained, not cheated.

I think he got the stick mainly because he said vale fans were disrespectful and then in the next breath makes the comment on us playing them next season,so made himself look a big doughnut 

8 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:

I think the fact he spent 15 minutes with you says it all really.  If he can’t spend at least half an hour why bother.  Terrible attitude DC.  Shocking in fact.  😂😂😂

I had to call security in the end, he was frightening me with his enthusiasm and talking sense. I’m just not used to it, this is “Lowly Port Vale” after all. We wouldn’t want anything or anybody changing that would we?🙄🤣🤣

Archived