onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: FAC 1 : Port Vale v Accrington Stanley

Fosse69

46 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

It comes pretty much entirely from his interview technique of cutting off the interviewer mid question, which I must admit I dislike intensely.  Let’s remember that initially DC didn’t exactly get off to a dream start so his saltiness was somewhat more apparent than in more recent times.  Add this to the fact that it was in complete contrast to the previous managers manner which helped people to form an opinion that JC is a nasty man.

I think most fans have seen and heard enough to know that DC is actually not so bad after all.  I’d guess most couldn’t give a stuff either way as long as we’re successful.

I think the fact he spent 15 minutes with you says it all really.  If he can’t spend at least half an hour why bother.  Terrible attitude DC.  Shocking in fact.  😂😂😂

I agree about DC's intolerance of interview questions, and his sometimes patronising attitude.

But the quality of interview questions is so poor.

I have sympathy with him. It must be difficult to face that when your knowledge base is in a different stratosphere.

Advert

The way of the world at present, at one time it was very rare that a football manager would be interviewed. Can't imagine many want to do it after a game and be asked the same questions, not that there is much choice in any case. I prefer that the team has spoken on the pitch. His overall thinking can be explored at other times.

51 minutes ago, Joe B said:

What excites me the most is that we have 1,000 Junior Valiant STs. 

I've noticed loads of younger fans in the Railway. I remember thinking about the back end of the Norman days that we were in deep trouble. Very few younger fans. 

The Foundation have done an absolutely outstanding job and are a huge asset to the club; Community Club of the Year was unreal, but they are now having a concrete impact in the long-term future of this club by attracting the next generation. It helps they're turning up and watching Matrix-fuelled masterclasses week in week out.

Stoke have lost half their fanbase and now is the time to strike. We're on the up and we need to be in the schools chucking out tickets. Get them in for free this year and walk the league, so they're begging Mum and Dad for a ST next year. Get them waving flags on the pitch pre-game, meeting the players. Ramp up the 'Fanzone' thing - permanent structure to facilitate indoor stuff over the winter? Championship thinking needed. 

We've got a core of local lads who need to be at the forefront of promotion and community engagement. Stoke haven't got a single Stoke-born lad on the books - Powell from Crewe is the closest. Hammer it home. Get Conlon and Gibbo out there. Stoke play in a soulless plastic ground next to an incinerator a half hour walk from anything worthwhile. Into these. Gloves off. 

Lucas too. Brazilian keeper who scores goals and has played against Alisson and Coutinho? Easy stuff. Flitters can sell anything. Get his Brentisms all over the media. Co-ordinated campaign. More proactive on Youtube and TikTok, the realm of teenagers. Get the Josh lad off Twitter to make more engaging videos. 

I know there's money to be made in the short-term but think long-term here; get some promotional deals in order for the bigger games (Walsall, Christmas stuff) where the kids get in free and get a scarf and a Twix or something, I don't know. First time in my lifetime the club's on firm footing and we need to be relentless on this front. We limped through the dark years, surviving by the skin of our teeth. Never again. I don't want to be sat on a Tuesday night for a league game against some tinpot outfit in front of 3,800, empty railway stand, 45 away fans, 1-0 defeat, trudge home. 

Totally agree with this... There should be a special response for posts like this. Like isnt good enough.

I've been thinking this also, but couldn't put it in words as well as this.

I'm in Manchester and 12 maybe 15 years ago if you asked a child what team they supported, most would say United. I know city have spent millions upon millions on players, but what they have also been doing for the last  10 years city is to send representatives from their academies into schools putting on PE lessons for the kids. Not necessarily footballing lessons, just games, but its a Man City person doing it. It gets the football club in the kids minds, and with that you will end up with a couple of fans for life.

All the kids where I live (barely 2 miles from united ground) are City fans. Getting the club name into the schools and getting kids into the ground has resulted in a new generation of local city fans...

Joe is totally right. Ignore the league 2 tag, Vale are the only team winning, and that should get the kids hooked. If you want to watch a winning team get to Port Vale, you cant get tickets for City, or Liverpool, so lets make Vale the best option.

A cup run would really back this up...

18 hours ago, Rampant Zebra said:

What is the point of putting across a different opinion? It just sets you up for abuse and suggestions of a ban from the forum. Enjoy the success while it lasts.

I come on the site to read all opinions some I agree with some I dont, always interested to read them though. At the moment it looks like RZ s thoughts are out of step with what is happening on the pitch. To be honest having mates who are Walsall fans I had big doubts at the start of the season, less so at the moment. 

However promotion isnt won in November. Hopefully Vale will win the league and promotion at the end of the season. Until then im trying to not get too Giddy( I am if truth be told). 

I truly hope RZs views are wrong , but I respect them anyway. 

20 minutes ago, manc_vale said:

Totally agree with this... There should be a special response for posts like this. Like isnt good enough.

I've been thinking this also, but couldn't put it in words as well as this.

I'm in Manchester and 12 maybe 15 years ago if you asked a child what team they supported, most would say United. I know city have spent millions upon millions on players, but what they have also been doing for the last  10 years city is to send representatives from their academies into schools putting on PE lessons for the kids. Not necessarily footballing lessons, just games, but its a Man City person doing it. It gets the football club in the kids minds, and with that you will end up with a couple of fans for life.

All the kids where I live (barely 2 miles from united ground) are City fans. Getting the club name into the schools and getting kids into the ground has resulted in a new generation of local city fans...

Joe is totally right. Ignore the league 2 tag, Vale are the only team winning, and that should get the kids hooked. If you want to watch a winning team get to Port Vale, you cant get tickets for City, or Liverpool, so lets make Vale the best option.

A cup run would really back this up...

It's the local thing too. We have a spine of local lads in our team. Stoke have no one from Stoke-on-Trent on professional books, let alone playing regularly. We're winning, up the road, community-rooted, value for money, a team you can connect with in an era when so much of football is completely disconnected from the match-going fan.

I worked in a school for 2 years, right in the shadow of the Bet365Megadome, but the number of Stoke-supporting kids there was way lower than when I was at school (when Stoke were in their pomp in the Prem). The enthusiasm wasn't there. They've gone from 30,000 to no more than 15,000 in three years. Strike now, before they stumble back into the Prem. 

You get kids into the ground through absolute any means. Incentivise the hell out of it. Combine that with a winning team + a good atmosphere + a good day out with Fanzone etc = future ST sales, future shirt sales, future in-ground sales. Reinvest that into more community stuff. Virtuous cycle. More fans, more footfall in Burslem on weekends. The institutions and structure need to be in place though. Carol has been bang on with her community approach and now is the time to scale up. 

I do think we need to upgrade some of the match-day facilities to assist this: contactless should be across the ground; toilets should be in better condition; better food options; quicker turnstiles. Make it a nice place for the parents, not that into football but their little Timmy met James Gibbons at school and has a free ticket for a home game and really wants to go, to have a decent, fun afternoon and want to take the kids back again. Maybe some sort of welcome package for first-time fans, sent in the post; player profiles, match-day tips, free programme, scarf. Make it memorable, even if the Matrix fails to deliver another thrashing of the opposition. Make it fully inclusive for youngsters with SEND needs - some big clubs are great with this, and we should look to build facilities for the same purpose.

I know I'm weirdly obsessed with this, but I'm only a Vale fan because my old man and his old man are. There was never any incentive to go; I just got roped in and emotionally invested against my will and rational judgement. I don't want the next generation to have the miserable 20 years I've had of rubbish results and rubbish attendances in an empty ground with a rubbish experience and rubbish rubbish rubbish. Enough. 

I respect everyone's viewpoint on the game, whether I agree or not is a different matter .

I don't think it's about respecting an opinion and certainly isn't bullying. 

From my own stance I just ask why ?

I want a proper balanced explanation. Is it 9 of last 11 we've won in all competitions ? 

October 2nd onwards .

Orient 3-2

Sutton 3-4

Barrow 3-1

Mansfield 1-1

Colchester 3-0

Crawley 4-1 

Accrington 5-1 

7 games .

Won 5 drew 1 lost 1

Scored 22 at an average of 3.14 goals a game. 16 in our last 5 since our top scorer got injured. 

I just want folk to be up front ( you won't be ridiculed I hope ) . 

It surely can't be the retained list, footballers come and go, it's the way it is .

It can't be because he's no time for the media. His prerogative , yes he can appear aloof and moody but that can't be a valid reason.

Just what is the reason that folk can't embrace this current run of form ? 

I'm really baffled. I've been lucky enough at the age of 54 to have seen 4 promotions and sadly some awful times 

Can't you just embrace the good times and get behind the squad the owners AND the manager 

Baffled dot com 

16 hours ago, Paul6754 said:

Come on guys lay off RZ, every time Vale win the same mob are calling for and unloading on him, it really is poor form and distasteful. It’s just not right and an affront to the club and the spirit Carole and Kevin are building.

We’re all Vale at the end of the day.

He isn't Vale.

"Enjoy your success while it lasts".

Stick him on the ignore list. I do wish there was a way I didn't have to see his quoted comments though.

28 minutes ago, valeparklife said:

Lol Part 2

"Vale fans have been taking the mickey out of me whining. Here's another 10 minutes of me whining about that". 😁🙄😂

He says he's seen the video of Smiffy kicking him and their player putting his hand on his collar, what video is this? The BBC highlights don't show that. 

6 minutes ago, gavcradd said:

"Vale fans have been taking the mickey out of me whining. Here's another 10 minutes of me whining about that". 😁🙄😂

He says he's seen the video of Smiffy kicking him and their player putting his hand on his collar, what video is this? The BBC highlights don't show that. 

"I'm not really bothered about what people think of me" says John Coleman.  This is the man who - when asked if he wanted to talk again about the Vale match decided to do so rather than not commenting. Then he goes off on a two minute tangent about the Vale fans' reaction when he wasn't even asked a question about it. Yep, he's definitely not bothered what people think of him.. :whistling:

To be fair, there was nothing sinister with the Smith incident. Smithy trips their player who then pulls Smithy to the ground. Wolstanton Marsh stuff. Smithy wasn't rolling around the floor in agony like the 6' Bamby Pell would have done.

Two players having a good old tussle..... only the linesman saw it differently.

Archived