onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: FAC 1 : Port Vale v Accrington Stanley

Fosse69

Advert

36 minutes ago, Santa said:

As cold as I've ever been at Vale Park without any wind chill. The pitch was unplayable towards the end and many players were skating around on it.

One thing that sticks in the memory from that game was that the liner gave a throw-in against us that was obviously our ball, and their player decided to sportingly knock it straight back out of play to give us the throw.

Would love to see that kind of sportsmanship these days.

1 hour ago, Warren said:

I see the Accrington game as a real measure of this team, provided we don't use it as a game for the players who never start. Accrington are 10th in League 1 and a perfect measure of whether we are at that sort of level and therefore are likely to sustain our promotion challenge and if successful this team would be likely to perform at that level in League 1.

Accrington are an example of simply excellent club management. They got into League 2 from the National League , as now called, and stayed there with a low base of support. Then they have developed into a League 1 team after promotion and built a new stand at their ground. Big increase in support achieved to a still modest level, but just simply excellent to be competing effectively at League 1 level. 

Yes, very modestly supported. Their gates vary a lot depending on the visitors, especially as there are a fair few local Lancashire clubs on their doorstep, sometimes doubling their gate. Hard core support seems to be about 2000-2500. I wonder how many will manage the relatively short journey to Vale Park - a few hundred perhaps?

You have to hand it to Coleman and co who are doing a fine job keeping them in League 1.

2 hours ago, CambridgeDon said:

Yes, very modestly supported. Their gates vary a lot depending on the visitors, especially as there are a fair few local Lancashire clubs on their doorstep, sometimes doubling their gate. Hard core support seems to be about 2000-2500. I wonder how many will manage the relatively short journey to Vale Park - a few hundred perhaps?

You have to hand it to Coleman and co who are doing a fine job keeping them in League 1.

If you scroll down this page you'll see all of Accy's average attendances.  It's an absolute miracle they achieve what they do on these sort of gates.

EUROPEAN-FOOTBALL-STATISTICS.CO.UK

No need to rotate really as we have a week off and then only the pizza trophy in the midweek after. 

I think Taylor has done enough in recent weeks to merit a start in place of Garrity. Depending on fitness etc I would also bring Worrall in for Benning and move Gibbo back to the left.

Otherwise I’d go with the same side as yesterday if both Cass and Politic are allowed to play by parent clubs.

Although they're in a league above I really fancy our chances. Hopefully we'll get close to 6K on the gate.
Got my ticket for 15 and my lad who is 18 to 21 for a tenner and my nephew under 17 5 quid so pricing I feel is very good lets get behind them the ones who do go UTV
A big game for me I love the FA Cup Man City away the other year the nineties stoke Everton Arsenal Southampton Crystal Palace Leeds etc .
I badly want them to progress .
John Colemans Accrington are a excellently run football club could not have asked for a harder tie.
Let's be at our best which we will need be
UTV

No need to rotate really as we have a week off and then only the pizza trophy in the midweek after. 
I think Taylor has done enough in recent weeks to merit a start in place of Garrity. Depending on fitness etc I would also bring Worrall in for Benning and move Gibbo back to the left.
Otherwise I’d go with the same side as yesterday if both Cass and Politic are allowed to play by parent clubs.
I think DC is managing the squad well, always looking ahead to the next game as well. I expect a strong side for this one, maybe Proc back as well?

3 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

If you scroll down this page you'll see all of Accy's average attendances.  It's an absolute miracle they achieve what they do on these sort of gates.

EUROPEAN-FOOTBALL-STATISTICS.CO.UK

Thanks, Jacko - very interesting. I used this one, which tells you the visiting club for each game in which season:

WWW.FOOTBALLWEBPAGES.CO.UK

They clearly benefit from having so many Lancashire Derbies. And yes, a miracle what they've done on these crowds.

The FA Cup should be treated every bit as seriously as the league. Getting through to the 3rd or 4th round and getting a money-spinning, high profile tie generates huge interest in the club. 

How many of us look back at our time as Vale fans and can pinpoint the match that truly got us hooked. Spurs was the game for me. I'd been going with my dad since the early 80s but that unbelievable day was the day Vale truly got into my blood. 

It's those glory days, the giant killings, the vivid memories, the build up, etc... that football is all about for fans of lower league clubs. 

The filth at the top of the football ladder (Klopp, etc...) who belittle the FA Cup have succeeded and the widespread attitude is that the league is the "bread and butter". 

Proof of this will come on Saturday when our 1st round tie is likely to be played in front of 3500 rather than 6000.  

14 hours ago, CambridgeDon said:

Thanks, Jacko - very interesting. I used this one, which tells you the visiting club for each game in which season:

WWW.FOOTBALLWEBPAGES.CO.UK

They clearly benefit from having so many Lancashire Derbies. And yes, a miracle what they've done on these crowds.

And maybe gives an answer to, why Andy Holt was so very very VERY much against carrying on, when Covid hit. Not that I agree with his points back then, as he was beyond negative and pessimistic, but I can see where he's coming from

13 hours ago, valiant steve said:

The FA Cup should be treated every bit as seriously as the league. Getting through to the 3rd or 4th round and getting a money-spinning, high profile tie generates huge interest in the club. 

How many of us look back at our time as Vale fans and can pinpoint the match that truly got us hooked. Spurs was the game for me. I'd been going with my dad since the early 80s but that unbelievable day was the day Vale truly got into my blood. 

It's those glory days, the giant killings, the vivid memories, the build up, etc... that football is all about for fans of lower league clubs. 

The filth at the top of the football ladder (Klopp, etc...) who belittle the FA Cup have succeeded and the widespread attitude is that the league is the "bread and butter". 

Proof of this will come on Saturday when our 1st round tie is likely to be played in front of 3500 rather than 6000.  

Yes agree the premier League is ruining our EFL and belittling the asperations of us real football fans (real not plastic 😄)

Archived