onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: FAC 1 : Port Vale v Accrington Stanley

Fosse69

Second FA Cup game against Stanley in any of their forms in over 140 years, now enjoying life in League 1. Currently with 6 wins, 3 draws and 6 defeats against a good mix of teams. Thus a good test of our ambitions for next season and an opportunity for a money making cup run. Not that form means a thing in the Cup as we know too well, but the result can wreck a season. At least DC has plenty of options to test Coleman`s well-run club in a higher division, what will he come up with?

Edit Correction made, Second was First,  memory lapse

• Fosse69 changed the title to Match Thread: FAC 1 : Port Vale v Accrington Stanley

Advert

He's going to have some tough decisions. I wonder if Jake Taylor is worth a start in the cup? I think he's back to his best now and if he can get matchday minutes into him it means the central midfield starts to become an even more competitive place. 

I see the Accrington game as a real measure of this team, provided we don't use it as a game for the players who never start. Accrington are 10th in League 1 and a perfect measure of whether we are at that sort of level and therefore are likely to sustain our promotion challenge and if successful this team would be likely to perform at that level in League 1.

Accrington are an example of simply excellent club management. They got into League 2 from the National League , as now called, and stayed there with a low base of support. Then they have developed into a League 1 team after promotion and built a new stand at their ground. Big increase in support achieved to a still modest level, but just simply excellent to be competing effectively at League 1 level. 

Well done, better memory than mine. 2nd Round 26 Nov 2010 (Friday) won 1-0,  then lost 4-2 at Burnley

I just seem to remember we had a few Friday night FA cup games, moved because the lardies were at home on the Saturday, in the days when they were in the greed is good league.

36 minutes ago, Rodge said:

26th November 2010

As cold as I've ever been at Vale Park without any wind chill. The pitch was unplayable towards the end and many players were skating around on it.

One thing that sticks in the memory from that game was that the liner gave a throw-in against us that was obviously our ball, and their player decided to sportingly knock it straight back out of play to give us the throw.

This is a great test for us against a solid L1 team. Go in full strength for this one I reckon and any squad players in need of minutes we have Liverpool U23’s the following Tuesday for that.

Above all else I think DC should just have one focus and win or lose this tie doesn’t go to a replay. Don’t need anything like that being added to our schedule.

As cold as I've ever been at Vale Park without any wind chill. The pitch was unplayable towards the end and many players were skating around on it.
One thing that sticks in the memory from that game was that the liner gave a throw-in against us that was obviously our ball, and their player decided to sportingly knock it straight back out of play to give us the throw.

Yeah I remember that, didn’t John Coleman instruct his player to do that? I could be wrong though

Archived