Match Thread: Crawley Town v Port Vale

Fosse69

Excited to what we can do with the system we first played v Colchester.

I really liked the 343; Conlon and Pett both seemed to suit the spoiling + sitting back and dictating roles. Gibbons and Worrall could link up with Politic and Rodney, leaving fullbacks unsure who to mark. The first came as a result of Politic coming narrow and short, dragging the fullback with him, allowing Gibbons a free run in behind.

It seemed to work for Wilson too, who could drop a bit deeper and link things (his best attribute), secure in the knowledge that Rodney and Politic were in behind him. I think Proctor will flourish in the role too.

Crawley lost to Scunthorpe last week and have lost their last three. 

I'm mindful that Politic will probably be on his way in January (do Newcastle have a recall clause for Cass?). Hopefully The Matrix has already identified his replacement.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, onestepatatime said:

I generally drive to all away games but on Saturday might go by rail. Anyone on here got best ideas of what trains to catch. Much appreciated fellow Valiants.

Euston to Victoria (via Victoria line)then on to Crawley via Gatwick I reckon.

Edited by bycars rob

39 minutes ago, onestepatatime said:

I generally drive to all away games but on Saturday might go by rail. Anyone on here got best ideas of what trains to catch. Much appreciated fellow Valiants.

Depending on where you are coming from. The most convenient and cheapest option may be to avoid going directly into London first from Stoke. 

To do this, get to Peterborough and then you can get a Thameslink service direct to Crawley station. 

Having said that there are few trains from Stoke to Peterborough (usually a change at Nuneaton)  that make this easy and if you buy in advance you are better off doing the following. Although prices etc and walk to St Pancras need to be taken into account. 

Stoke to Euston then these days walk to nearby St Pancras and catch a Thameslink service direct to Crawley which is basically the Peterborough train further down. 

As a South based Valiant, I will be going on the Peterborough train from Arlesey direct to Crawley. 

3 minutes ago, TJHValiant said:

Depending on where you are coming from. The most convenient and cheapest option may be to avoid going directly into London first from Stoke. 

To do this, get to Peterborough and then you can get a Thameslink service direct to Crawley station. 

Having said that there are few trains from Stoke to Peterborough (usually a change at Nuneaton)  that make this easy and if you buy in advance you are better off doing the following. Although prices etc and walk to St Pancras need to be taken into account. 

Stoke to Euston then these days walk to nearby St Pancras and catch a Thameslink service direct to Crawley which is basically the Peterborough train further down. 

As a South based Valiant, I will be going on the Peterborough train from Arlesey direct to Crawley. 

Cheers mate. A faff I know, that's why I usually drive. I'll  be there whatever  UTV.

10 league games before we could lose Politic. Let’s make it count and make sure he leaves us clear at the top.

I think it’s just a possibility we have to navigate around rather than a likelihood anyway. Hopefully.

2 minutes ago, 1 said:

10 league games before we could lose Politic. Let’s make it count and make sure he leaves us clear at the top.

I think it’s just a possibility we have to navigate around rather than a likelihood anyway. Hopefully.

Play him for 6 games and then have him train with the stiffs and feed him McDonalds for the remaining time he's here.  They won't bother recalling him then.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Politic has 2 goals and an assist in 143 minutes, or 1.6 90s. We were told he'd walk League 2 and he's already shown it in minimal minutes.

It's a very small sample size, but if you're Flitters you're sitting him down and selling the vision. Promotion this year. Guaranteed minutes. Release clause. He's out of contract and hasn't signed the Bolton deal that he's been offered. 

Sometimes you take a punt on talent and Politic has it in abundance. 

I don't think we'll get him, though, and I don't think he'll be here beyond January 1. Bolton are mid-table in the league above and are a match-winner away from pushing from the playoffs. They'll probably bring him back, fit and firing, and get him on a new deal. 

What reassures me is that The Matrix's hit rate looks to be pretty good for League 2, where signings are usually very hit and miss. We'll have replacements identified, but we got lucky that Politic needed fitness minutes after a horrendous injury. I'm unsure a player of his ability falls into our laps again.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, onestepatatime said:

You could also walk to St Pancras 5 minutes from Euston and get the train from there . That's what we did at Sutton. 

If by any chance you aren't drinking you will find that going from Stafford or Crewe is a lot cheaper than Stoke. So you could drive to either of those. 

We went to Sutton from Stafford and it was £25 cheaper. 

Never know what to expect being a Vale fan! I never like to predict scores ! This team seems to confound some of the past failings and long may it continue. Here hoping all the lads are up for it and we are firing on all cylinders! If that’s the case we could all be very happy bunnies come 5pm on Saturday. Come on you whites ! 

• Like 2

Be aware that if you're driving there you can no longer pay on the day for the club car park.  I rang up to see if we could pre book a space but you could only do so if you had a blue badge. 

1 hour ago, darren1810 said:

You could also walk to St Pancras 5 minutes from Euston and get the train from there . That's what we did at Sutton. 

If by any chance you aren't drinking you will find that going from Stafford or Crewe is a lot cheaper than Stoke. So you could drive to either of those. 

We went to Sutton from Stafford and it was £25 cheaper. 

Vale on the train without a drink? Come on mate, half my reason for non driving Saturday is to at least enjoy some part of the day.🤣 I live out past Stafford so I'll  be taking train from there and hopefully end up at Crawley before kick off.👍🍺🍷

1 hour ago, onestepatatime said:

Vale on the train without a drink? Come on mate, half my reason for non driving Saturday is to at least enjoy some part of the day.🤣 I live out past Stafford so I'll  be taking train from there and hopefully end up at Crawley before kick off.👍🍺🍷

I didn't have a drink at Sutton and can't until January 🙄 

Have a good one