Match Thread: Crawley Town v Port Vale

Fosse69

9 minutes ago, The man in the pub said:

Yes heard it, the guy from London had been many games over quite a number of years and never seen Sjoke win. He even went to a cup game against Crawley hoping to break his run of bad luck and Crawley won on penos. 

Just a thought, should we have a whip around on OVF and buy him a season ticket . 🤣

The superfan from London is in fact a bit of a myth. He put a list on twitter. He's actually been to 3 Stoke home games in a decade. The majority if not all of the others were away at the likes of Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs and Brentford. 

I needed a box of tissues on the way home from Crawley I was welling up . 

Superfan my **** as Jim Royle would say 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

One thing that strikes me from watching the videos of our goals is that for the first time in years we are scoring really good goals, goals that highlight talent. Not just headers from set pieces or scrambles that we have been served for a long time.

I agree its nice to see us scoring good goals although I'm struggling to remember all these headers we used to score from set pieces.
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, bomber said:

A lot of goals coming from bye line pull backs ! So good to see. 

Cutbacks result in some of the highest quality of chances of any type of assist (through ball, crosses from wide, long ball, corners) etc.

image.thumb.png.3c531bb42881bf9eabff117903d27b95.png

There's a clear purposeful motivation to get players into a position where they can utilise a cut-back; even in the first half against Crawley, Gibbo delivered 2-3 which could have been finished. Politic's goal vs Orient was a cutback. Amoo's forced OG on Saturday was a cutback. Wilson's goal v ColU was a pullback. Proctor's winner v Orient was a pullback. 

Show's how good the analytical stuff implemented by Flitters has been. We're focusing on purposeful creation of good-quality chances, and DC is training them every day in how to do so. If you watch Politic's goal v Orient, there's a clear plan in the movement of the players in the box awaiting a cutback, which results in Politic being in *the* perfect position to finish. They aren't just making it up. It's been drilled relentlessly till it's instinctive. Man City have done this for years under Pep. It's automatic. 

Just a great example of how DoF + Manager model works well; DoF leads analytics, informs Manager of what works best, Manager works on that on the training pitch, results seen on Saturday.

Edited by Joe B
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Vale1995 said:

Check out this pre season acca i had at the start of the season if it comes in ill fund conlons wages for the next season to keep him with us 🤣

7FC211A3-A92A-467F-80C3-353225A7DD92.png

2nd, 1st, 5th, 1st. 

If Sunderland (5th) win their games in hand they go top.

😅

When watching live you see things you do not see on the television. When we played City I noticed they would get in the position to make a cutback but would only do it if they could effectively pass the ball to someone already in or arriving in the box. If they could not they would just recycle it back and pass it around until they could next get near the byeline. Our method seems different in that we hit the cutback as low and hard as we can make it without necessarily picking out a player. Presumably it is to the players to put themselves where they think the cutback will arrive. It certainly seems to work.

It also seems to be part of the pre-match warm up which is not something I have seen before. As Joe says it is all designed to be instinctive.

2 minutes ago, Joe B said:

2nd, 1st, 5th, 1st. 

If Sunderland (5th) win their games in hand they go top.

😅

I know mate couldnt of asked for a better start really- if its in with a sniff in last few weeks of the season might have a heart attack

5 minutes ago, Vale1995 said:

Check out this pre season acca i had at the start of the season if it comes in ill fund conlons wages for the next season to keep him with us 🤣

OMG, I'm not sure I'd be getting much sleep if I was in your position. 

On 31/10/2021 at 12:22, Fosse69 said:

Fast low balls across a goal area can easily take a deflection off a defender or a poke from an attacker into goal, as well as our training ground routines work. Just the job in a league of giant defenders. Pleased also with Wilson being alert to goalkeeper spills off freekicks.

Agreed--I don't care how the goals come-as long as they're in the opposition's net!

6 hours ago, Vale1995 said:

You’re going to be in agony every Saturday until May 😂

1 hour ago, Doha said:

You’re going to be in agony every Saturday until May 😂

I wont be gettint excited about it until February i think last season showed how fast teams can drop down after the start of the season so although been a great start theres a hell of a long way to go yet

I wont be gettint excited about it until February i think last season showed how fast teams can drop down after the start of the season so although been a great start theres a hell of a long way to go yet
If you're relying just on Vale with a fortnight of the season to go, I'd cash in at that point if I were you!
  • Like 1