onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Crawley Town v Port Vale

Fosse69

Just chilling after the long journey. Enjoyed Quest immensely. Thought I'd read through the thread , all the emotions are on here which is what football does to you.

The only thing I'm confused by is that I can't see any posts by a certain RZ today. 

Quietly fuming and mumbling maybe after another Clarke masterclass with in game tactic changes . How odd . 

Advert

37 minutes ago, Paul6754 said:

Any scout watch that game today and previous game will see in Conlon and Taylor that Vale have two young, excellent creative midfield players and my hope is that Taylor isn't tempted away due to insufficient game time.

It's interesting that Conlon only cemented his place in the first XI during the curtailed season when Taylor got injured (around Christmas if memory serves?). Whilst I really want the Porthill Pirlo to lead us to League 1, and firmly believe he can, I'm fairly sanguine that if someone from the Championship comes in and offers a good chunk of cash for him in January, we could let him go with our blessing, and Taylor could step up in his place, with the money received being invested wisely in the squad and/or facilities. I actually think that's a more likely scenario than Taylor leaving.

That feeling from the last few seasons that we're very reliant on one or two players at any given time (e.g. Pope, Brown or Worrall) is gone, however outstanding certain individuals in our current squad, including Conlon, might be.

I think collectively, across all areas of the club, we're in as good a place as we've been this century. The recent interviews with Flitcroft, DC, AC, (watched today's reaction from him twice, it's excellent, especially in contrast with Yems' ramblings), Gibbo, Amoo, and any interaction with Carol or Kev is testament to that.

Up (and up) the Vale

2 hours ago, SuperHuman said:

I’m not criticising anyone for not going. I’m sure all true Vale fans have valid reasons as to why they may not be able to attend as much as they’d like to. However, we have a lot of casual fans who we need to attract to attend games now whilst we’re doing well. 

My point is that this team and manager deserve big crowds. No one can argue that. This could be a special season so let’s all get down there when we can and enjoy it! 

Before COVID I went to every game home and away for 5 consecutive seasons, not been any away this season as I don’t fancy sitting on a coach for 5 or 6 hours with 50 other people. IMO some things are more important than a game of football 

6 hours ago, Clayts said:

It's interesting that Conlon only cemented his place in the first XI during the curtailed season when Taylor got injured (around Christmas if memory serves?). Whilst I really want the Porthill Pirlo to lead us to League 1, and firmly believe he can, I'm fairly sanguine that if someone from the Championship comes in and offers a good chunk of cash for him in January, we could let him go with our blessing, and Taylor could step up in his place, with the money received being invested wisely in the squad and/or facilities. I actually think that's a more likely scenario than Taylor leaving.

That feeling from the last few seasons that we're very reliant on one or two players at any given time (e.g. Pope, Brown or Worrall) is gone, however outstanding certain individuals in our current squad, including Conlon, might be.

I think collectively, across all areas of the club, we're in as good a place as we've been this century. The recent interviews with Flitcroft, DC, AC, (watched today's reaction from him twice, it's excellent, especially in contrast with Yems' ramblings), Gibbo, Amoo, and any interaction with Carol or Kev is testament to that.

Up (and up) the Vale

Your point in paragraph two about non reliance on individuals was demonstrated by a starting eleven minus Wozza. Not to mention Proctor, Legge, Walker.

All arguably first choice and crucial to the team. 

The point made above by another poster about preferring Taylor to Garrity seems almost redundant in this squad based set up, as we have players with a range of talents, allowing for the flexibility in formation and tactics that we are seeing on a weekly basis.

I get a sense that we are at the cutting edge of league two football thanks to the influence of the management team.

7 hours ago, darren1810 said:

Whilst not doubting the figure given by Crawley am I alone in thinking there was easily 450 away fans. Must of been nearly 100 in the seats and a good amount standing. 

Irrelevant I know but definitely seemed more than it said. 

I’m certain Crawley announced there was just over 390 Vale fans there. I thought that was a decent turn out considering the distance. 

I said at half time on here yesterday that it was obvious that the formation should have been changed when they went down to ten men. Crosby even said in his interview that they were considering doing it before the second half. I felt there was no way we would break them down with that formation because it wasn’t set up to have runners off the ball, we were just playing in front of their 2 banks of 4. We tried to play our usual gameplan and get behind them, gibbo managed it a few times from the right, although I think we had less success from the left. I also thought Conlon was wasted playing on the right of a front 3, that isn’t his position IMO. 

Obviously the formation change second half freed us up to be able to have runners instead of just playing in front of them like in the first half and we took advantage of it. 

I was near some right moaners who just wanted bodies in the box and crosses going in. It occurred to me that times have changed, (maybe since Pope has gone), but our sole gameplan isn’t to keep banging high crosses in. If you listen to Gibbos interview this week he alluded to our attempts to create different types of goals to suit different types of players.  The moaners near me either had no patience or just didn’t understand what we were trying to do. We were constantly trying to work the angles to get players behind for the cut back or a ball across the face of the goal, which I think is something we’ve been doing all season. As I said we managed it first half a few times with no joy when the ball came back across. Second half I was critical on here of Amoo, being so close we could hear the words that gibbo was having with him about his movement, because Amoo just wasn’t giving him any chance for him to play him a decent ball, so we we went back or sideways to start again (something the moaners didn’t like either). However Amoo did produce 2 great runs that lead to the 3rd and 4th goals, firstly when Gibbo found him with the pass that lead to the OG and then when Conlon picked out his run for the last minute goal. Both defence splitting passes. 

Overall despite us going a goal down I didn’t feel that we would lose the game. I felt we had the players on the pitch and the options on the bench to do something and that was proved the case. For the first time in a while we seem to have players who can affect a game with their movement, a pass, a cross or a goal. Taylor, Lloyd and Amoo all came on to affect the game and see us over the line. Of our game changing players I’ve said before that clubs will be looking at those  players who can affect a match in a positive way, players like Conlon, Gibbo, Rodney (if he can get a run of games, Wilson is too good for this league IMO, even Taylor if he can keep getting minutes and also Worrall at his age who could get one potentially one last move. We are in a good place right now. 

Despite the impatience and negativity about some of the first half I think we saw some good performances throughout. Conlon, Gibbo, Pett, Wilson, Lloyd, Amoo( eventually) and Taylor for me stood out. In the end our quality showed and at the start of the season who would have thought we’d be this positive 15 games in. 

Yeah, they announced 389 Vale fans, plus some extras in the stand where I was sitting. Without our fans, they would be getting 1800 - 1900 for a home game.  It's tough for teams in that position, and I'm not sure Yems is going to be there for too much longer if he keeps blaming officials for very obvious assaults on opposition players.  I'd be having a word with the defender who thought he could get away with an elbow to the head.  

That John Yems interview is absolute insanity. What a clown!

The sensible thing to say would have been "you can't go swinging elbows at people, it was a moment of madness that has cost us today, we need to forget about it and move on bla bla bla"

Not "I don't think it was a sending off, but I haven't seen it". Excuse me WHAT?!

He then went on to moan that "it was only 10 minutes into the game, so just book him" - okay so it's fine to go around committing GBH in the first 10 mins of games is it?!

And my personal favourite, and I quote - "Why send him off? He's not killed anyone." 😂😂😂😂😂

10 hours ago, PV1973 said:

There was a little incident that showed the desire to win this game today. Tom Conlon scores and runs to corner for a celebration with a couple of players joining in, Gibbo runs behind them giving them a mouthful and gesturing for them to stop celebrating, get the ball, get back in shape and get on with the game. 

Added to that James Wilson wrestles the ball off the keeper to get back to the centre circle and keep the momentum going. After Tom Pett’s goal he then rams the ball into the net for good measure, now up to Crawley to find their own momentum. Class.

13 hours ago, werstayinup said:

Just a word on Jake Taylor,he now looks a totally different player to the one who came back to us last season,he now has got back the silky touch and bit of pace he had,he looks far more confident now when he comes on... so still has the potential to a good player for us(he is also a player i think would be suited to league one football)

As a number of our squad, keep believing our golden year. 

1 hour ago, Bald Eagle said:

Couple of good clips on Faceache of Tom’s free kick.  There would be hell up on here if Lucas hadn’t saved that one.  Nowhere near the corner.

20 yard free kick, wall 10 yards back, keeper probably only gets any sort of sight of it when it's 10 yards away from goal.

I'm not saying scrap them completely but there are times when teams need to rethink their relationship with walls from defensive set pieces.

1 hour ago, Bald Eagle said:

Couple of good clips on Faceache of Tom’s free kick.  There would be hell up on here if Lucas hadn’t saved that one.  Nowhere near the corner.

He was getting the blame for their goal from some quarters on that daft Facebook group. In fact after the Mansfield game someone had the gall to write “yeah he saved a penalty but he’s still <ovf censored>”, they were being serious. You have to laugh. 

Archived