onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Covolan v Stone

darren1810

Advert

1 hour ago, Jacko51 said:

If Lucas had let in the goal De Gea has tonight some of our fans would have had him taken out and shot!

To be fair, if the whole team had played like Utd tonight we’d have wanted them all shot! Two goals conceded that were straight out of L2 let alone the Champions League.

More often than not we’ve had keepers that are descibed as “a good shot stopper but ….”

Lucas is the opposite way round for me. His coming for crosses is excellent, he takes responsibility for the sweeper keeper role and is improving at a new level, his shot stopping is average. I like him and wouldn’t be chopping and changing.

If his shot stopping was as good as Brown then he'd be playing in the Championship. Where are you vulnerable to conceding in this division? From big balls in from set-pieces and breaking the line in one-on-one situations. I'm confident that he does well in those situations. He holds onto the ball well generally from long shots. There have been a few where a stronger hand could have maybe prevented a goal. Maybe that's about strength technique around the wrists. Anyway, I'm generally happy. Brown was doing my head in with his inability to deal with corners. It put us under no end of pressure.

Keepers who are good shot stoppers often are seen that way as they have to stop a lot of shots (think Alnwick in the half season before he left under Bruno). 

Good teams don't have keepers who stop a lot of shots.

Lucas may not be as good as Brown in this respect, but he has nowhere near as many saves to make due to his other strengths. I prefer it this way.

It was interesting to listen to Gibbo and Lewis Cass at the SC meeting last week.  They were asked what it was like playing with Lucas behind them because he is mad!  They actually said that the fact he plays higher up the pitch almost as a sweeper allows the defence to push up and press more.  If the ball goes over the top they are confident that Lucas is more like to clear it than stay on his line and face a one on one with a striker.

Here’s one from left field… Clarke has (genuinely) rested Worrall, Garrity et al while their form was good, partly to manage their energy over a long season and partly because he seems to trust the whole squad almost equally. Maybe he trusts Stone as much as Lucas and might say to him, you’re my keeper for all the cups, even the only important one.

Archived