Tactics, formation, tactics

Bimbleabout

11 hours ago, Rampant Zebra said:

I think you are missing my point. If Gibbo had been out of contract he would have been released along with all the other out of contract players. Of course we would have signed a better replacement.

No he wouldn’t…. He released most of the players out of contract because they were <ovf censored>. Look at them now and look at our replacements. It’s not even an argument any more RZ it’s just complete and utter nonsense. He transfer listed players in contract that he didn’t want, he quite clearly rates gibbons. 

I don’t think you understand football / still holding a grudge for some strange reason. It’s about building a better squad, there isn’t one argument you could have to go against the changes made. Gibbo is up there with the best in his position in this league, I think a manager / recruitment team with Clarke / flitcrofts experience can see that we didn’t need to replace him and instead needed to focus on replacement the dead wood. 

Ive seen you have mentioned cullen. Cullen was always a decent player but he’s so injury prone, you can’t keep a player like that around, out of interest how many games has he played this season? I imagine It isn’t many. mckirdy was appalling for us, you can’t deny that. Nobody in their right mind would have kept him. He’s not a bad player but his attitude stinks and I imagine it won’t be long be he’s out of the Swindon side. 

How are Joyce, whitehead, brisley, Guthrie, brown ect……. All doing? 

Edited by valiant_593
  • Like 3

I think you will find he released all the players out of contract, hence my opinion that he would have released Gibbo if he had been out of contract. I make no secret of the fact that I don't rate Clarke as a manager. I think he did a lot of unnecessary things just to prove a point. 

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

I think you will find he released all the players out of contract, hence my opinion that he would have released Gibbo if he had been out of contract. I make no secret of the fact that I don't rate Clarke as a manager. I think he did a lot of unnecessary things just to prove a point. 

2nd

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

Don’t rate a manager that has taken us  to 2nd in the league but rate John askey.

He did what needed doing. The squad was past it, brown and Joyce were decent players but are past it, you can’t honestly think that we are in a worse position with worse players than last season.

There is not a chance gibbo would have been released, the same if Conlon or smith were out of contract as well. Was hurst not out contract? And legge? They’re both still at the club? Maybe Clarke judges it on the ability of the player like a football manager should. The majority of people on here wanted a mass clear out; we got one and look at us now. 

We got rid of dead wood that nearly took us into non league and have signed players that are on the way to taking us to league 1. You literally have no point what so ever. 

• Like 2

I think Gibbons, Smith and Conlon are good players additionally in part their value to Clarke is that they’re local. In these days of short term contracts and players and staff moving on frequently it’s difficult to build a team identity which is a very important aspect of success. Local lads give you more bang for your buck in that regard and I think Clarke has been keen to big up thr local lads even more than others. Whether he’d be clamouring to take them with him when he moves on is a different matter. Given that he decided on balance that Pope’s time was up, it was /is even more important to get that effect from elsewhere.

55 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Don’t rate a manager that has taken us  to 2nd in the league but rate John askey.

He did what needed doing. The squad was past it, brown and Joyce were decent players but are past it, you can’t honestly think that we are in a worse position with worse players than last season.

There is not a chance gibbo would have been released, the same if Conlon or smith were out of contract as well. Was hurst not out contract? And legge? They’re both still at the club? Maybe Clarke judges it on the ability of the player like a football manager should. The majority of people on here wanted a mass clear out; we got one and look at us now. 

We got rid of dead wood that nearly took us into non league and have signed players that are on the way to taking us to league 1. You literally have no point what so ever. 

Legge and Hurst were still in contract I think. Read the article on OVF or the official Port Vale site retained list. 

Cullen was /is an excellent poacher and finisher. Sadly his injuries meant he was discarded . I'm not googling it but I believe last week at Bradford was his full debut having been a bit part player and injured. He also scored 2 opening day against Crawley I remember and that was his lot. 

Mckirdy is clearly talented but an enigma and erratic behaviour. We tried, it didn't work. No issues with him doing well for Swindon. Both Askey and Clarke couldn't get a tune out of him. 

Conlon, Smith and Gibbons would all of been transfer listed with Whitehead, Theo and Burgess if Clarke didn't want them . Fact. 

I don't even know why I'm responding again. I need to just laugh and crack on .

Other than win every game or be where FGR are I don't know what else Clarke can do. There is absolutely no logic or even debate in the posts. 

Pure black and white, excuse the pun. Clarke is a terrible manager and Fitzpatrick, Cullen, et al were treated disgracefully. That is basically the ongoing argument and has been for months. 

Well I'm sorry to disappoint you RZ but I'll be going to Crawley tomorrow to see a rookie squad thrown together 14/15 games in who sit 2nd in the league and I'm loving it.

I'm upset for you that we aren't just above Scunthorpe so that you could say what you are dying to say 

I TOLD YOU SO 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

Legge and Hurst were still in contract I think. Read the article on OVF or the official Port Vale site retained list. 

Hurst wasn't on the retained list because Clarke extended his contract 2 months after he joined us.

"Speaking on the announcement, Port Vale Manager Darrell Clarke said: “We are delighted to see Alex commit his future to the club after a breakthrough season. We are very much looking forward to seeing Hursty continue his development.”"

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

They weren’t. Clarke extended hursts contract. 

Legge had a clause in his that if he played so many games he got an extension. Askey didn’t pick him on this basis, Clarke came in and picked him so clearly wanted him around as well. 

Edited by valiant_593
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

They weren’t. Clarke extended hursts contract. 

Legge had a clause in his that if he played so many games he got an extension. Askey didn’t pick him on this basis, Clarke came in and picked him so clearly wanted him around as well. 

Exactly this. Clarke almost risked the wrath of the owners by selecting Legge because of the clause. Clarke basically said if he wants to pick him he will. And he did. 

Your post won't matter one iota though to RZ . 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Joe B said:

You've had a disaster.

And that’s putting it mildly.

@robf would it be possible to get all the off topic posts removed to another thread as this one has just got completely derailed?

Edited by PV1973
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Rampant Zebra said:

Making up scenarios that havent happened to have a dig at our very good manager. Get a grip

• Like 4