onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Tactics, formation, tactics

Bimbleabout

As we've seen we struggle against teams that play a high press, high intensity against us. We also struggle against physically dominant sides.

We don't seem to react quick enough to change things up if we aren't coping.

What formations and tactics should be our counter when we are faced with these?

Advert

I think DC generally gets his formation right .
Not a happy clapper by any stretch of the imagination but we are at times looking suspect around the middle of our six yard area ,funnily enough i thought Martin and Smith and Covalan dealt with it very well last game last night the ball in versus Barrow they asked no questions as we had the ball mainly but last night was a test of our resolve and looking back on game I'm not sure Mansfield created much at all just seemed like they had because we were second to everything but the scoreline says differently .
I am sure that with the formation change the one v Leyton Orient and Barrow in coming back from behind is the way to go .
We never got chance get anything going go last night ,credit to Mansfield but I am sure if we brought our A game last night with Proctor in the starting line up and Gibbons starting we would have beaten them I'm sure of it .
I'd go 4-3 -3 on sat to start with Wilson Worrall and Politic up front I think it would work a treat
UTV

I think it is fair to say that the players do struggle a bit to change the momentum of a game whilst playing the same formation

I do think though that clarke does more than most managers to try and effect the game with subs or formation changes. Sometimes this works (barrow), sometimes it doesn't (mansfield).

I still think though that as a team of mostly new players we are still finding out who can grab the game by the scruff of the neck and impact it. Last few seasons that's been worral but he has less influence at wing back.

Against teams who are closing down quickly like Mansfield were last night, I don`t see that slowing the game down like we were is to our advantage. Surely we should be looking to play at a high tempo to wear them down and capitalise late in the game not over egging injuries or nipping off for a drink and a chat Stvenage style  like we were last night.

The play was constantly fragmented which gave them a rest which enabled tham to close down the ball and space all match.

1 minute ago, bycars rob said:

Against teams who are closing down quickly like Mansfield were last night, I don`t see that slowing the game down like we were is to our advantage. Surely we should be looking to play at a high tempo to wear them down and capitalise late in the game not over egging injuries or nipping off for a drink and a chat Stvenage style  like we were last night.

I'm with you on that. I also think it annoys referees a bit and those marginal calls start going against you.

On 20/10/2021 at 13:39, Bimbleabout said:

As we've seen we struggle against teams that play a high press, high intensity against us. We also struggle against physically dominant sides.

We don't seem to react quick enough to change things up if we aren't coping.

What formations and tactics should be our counter when we are faced with these?

We do lack a little physical presence in the spine of the team at present with injuries to Legge,Walker and Proctor so thats a short term issue but high press and intensity? I think that's a bit harsh to be honest.

The only way against the really physical teams is to keep the ball and play football which generally we have done very well in most games.

I never actually worked out where Politic was playing yesterday.

In the first half, Cass who was then definitely meant to be centre-back, was overlapping down the right wing.

When Cass went to wing back in the second half there were occasions when Smith was ahead of him.

How are opposition managers meant to counter this during a game? What will Crawley's scout go back and report with regard to their preparation for next week?

Such fluidity is not going to work every game but when it does it must be very difficult to counter.

Losing Politic would be a big hit, but I’m not too worried right now about that. I think it’s more a case of DC convincing them of the plan for the season rather than them needing him back to play for Bolton. Surely he’s just getting into the swing of things here to have a long run in the team? I know DC likes to rotate but Politic wouldn’t be one to move around too much.

Regarding the formation, my only criticisms have been the same as ever. I don’t like Worrall as a RWB, but that seems to be being phased out, sometimes we lack width and we give teams too much respect. I’m not saying just go gung-ho against every team, but we should make them worry about us with an attacking formation every week with the players we have, then be ready to change it up if needs be.

433 / 343 have been the formations we seems to get the most out of and play the best football.

Archived