Match Thread: Port Vale v Colchester United

Fosse69

Forest green ironically are at Bradford next Saturday, so tricky game but saying that so is Crawley.
Colchester did have a couple of great chances , we also had about 4 or 5 close shaves. Amoo and Cass had good chances and finally the Jones throw in caused bedlam and we nearly scored a couple one which the keeper totally misjudged. 
Yes just watched the extended highlights on my Port Vale ifollow account Amoo and Cass have missed very good chances there they should have hit the target but didn't matter as such so yes we should have 5 minimum and Politic has had two 2 excellent efforts at goal also .
Glad me lad enjoyed it yesterday he had my season ticket ,bring on the next few games at home very excited about where DC is hopefully taking us .
UTV
  • Like 1

I’ve seen enough Back to the Future films to come to the conclusion that it always gets me when people say “they had 2 chances so should have had 2 goals”. Reality is that IF they had scored the first one then the game would have panned out differently and that second chance wouldnt have happened anyway.  They would have changed the course of time and events had they scored the first one. 😀

• Like 1

1 hour ago, werstayinup said:

He is the kind of player you need if you are going into league one as is Cass who i also think would stand out at that level.

We have built a group of players where most imo are capable of playing in league One,so fantastic recruitment there and it will mean no mass clear out in the summer this time.You only have to look how strong our bench is compared to when we had Ryan Lloyd,Whitehead,Mills etc

Onwards and Upwards and feeling superb

100% agree with you. With the players on the bench and not even in the side, we are still competitive. I would imagine Taylor would have been one of the first names to start in previous seasons. This is very exciting.

Edited by Cape Fear Valiant

Nobody’s mentioned how good the third goal was and would say the Vale coach would be pleased with it. Straight off the training pitch, Wilson near post then as corner taken spins off and takes defender with him leaving a big gap for someone( Martin) to run in and flick the ball over, if it hadn’t gone in the net Wilson was there for a tap in. Well worked routine

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, knapperm said:

Nobody’s mentioned how good the third goal was and would say the Vale coach would be pleased with it. Straight off the training pitch, Wilson near post then as corner taken spins off and takes defender with him leaving a big gap for someone( Martin) to run in and flick the ball over, if it hadn’t gone in the net Wilson was there for a tap in. Well worked routine

Yes, didn't see it first time but watching it again it's definitely rehearsed with Wilson going from one post to another to catch the flick on. Except he didn't need to 😀.

Edited by CambridgeDon
  • Like 2

Great three points, yet again. I’m really starting to believe this side can genuinely challenge for automatic promotion. 

Not one player yesterday had a bad game - everyone was at least 7/10, which is a real pleasing sign. For me, Gibbons was MOTM. What a 90 minutes that lad had. Wilson wasn’t far behind, what a signing this lad could turn out to be - he’s technically levels above anything we’ve seen in years. 

7 points out of 9 in a week is a fantastic return. The point at Mansfield is a great point now when you consider how disappointing we were - that’s a sign of a real good football team. 

Long may it continue, it’s a real joy to be a part of currently. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MBE said:

Wow what performance yesterday!! We played really good football and deliberatly not played the ball in box without Proctor in the middle.

I watched with immense pride our 3 local lads -  Wilson,Gibbo & Conlon who each destroyed Colchester. I thought those 3 where outstanding. I'd go as far to say Gibbo was 10 out of 10.

I really love our manager  - I think he's going to be a legend at our club.

Yes, it was great to see those local lads - and we have Ellis Jones and Eden Baily to come. What a day when Eden makes his league debut, especially as his grandad played for us all those years ago.

• Like 4

Yesterday we were so much better than them in every position. In recent seasons, we would have battled and scrapped through a game like that and it would have ended 0 0 or have been decided by a single goal, one way or the other. 

The quality we have now all over the pitch is clear to see and, so long as DC keeps them focused and their attitudes right, the wins will keep coming. 

Full focus on Creepy Crawley away now! UTV! 

Watching little Gibbo blocking off their big defenders made me laugh this morning. Definitely straight off the training ground
  • Like 2

Hannant got murdered yesterday too; they seemed to have him at right wing back type of role and he had to deal with Politic and Gibbo all the time, really strange as he was decent as a winger for us but seemed much further back.

7 minutes ago, valefan16 said:

Hannant got murdered yesterday too; they seemed to have him at right wing back type of role and he had to deal with Politic and Gibbo all the time, really strange as he was decent as a winger for us but seemed much further back.

I thought they played 4-4-2 but he never really got forward or back to influence the game. He was just there, looking like he had no desire to put the same amount of workrate  in that politic and gibbo did. 

On 24/10/2021 at 14:50, knapperm said:

I re-watched the highlights a couple of times and you could see exactly how it was rehearsed. Watch Gibbo closely, Martin is behind him but Gibbo is watching his owner marker as well as Martins..........as the ball is played, Gibbo runs straight into both markers to block them following Martin running on the outside of him............shithousery of the highest quality.....@Joe B will be very, very impressed.

• Like 2

I re-watched the highlights a couple of times and you could see exactly how it was rehearsed. Watch Gibbo closely, Martin is behind him but Gibbo is watching his owner marker as well as Martins..........as the ball is played, Gibbo runs straight into both markers to block them following Martin running on the outside of him............shithousery of the highest quality.....@Joe B will be very, very impressed.
Just seen that. Really clever that and would never be given as a foul. I love to see the fact that we have different plans and actually work on things on the training ground.