Jump to content

Match Thread: Port Vale v Colchester United


Fosse69
 Share

Recommended Posts

In terms of the game, well it was pretty easy wasn’t it? Colchester were awful and never looked interested.

We controlled the game throughout the defence, midfield and forward line. Politic, Rodney and Wilson looked like a formidable front 3. 

We look strong in every position and we seem to just have the extra quality on the majority of opponents.

It really could be a great season. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Beech said:

Happens to all of us at this level. Only takes a few players having an off day and you'll get turned over. But we still had to show up and we certainly did that. I thought 3-0 flattered them a bit as it should have been a couple more.

Yep the 3-0 did flatter them. However, I thought Covolan made a good save at the near post from Sears(?) on one of the few occasions they did wake up, if it had gone in the jelly might have wobbled a bit.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, valefan79 said:

In the league below there was Chesterfirled with over 5500, Grimsby over 6000 and Notts County over 7500 and we keep claiming to be a lot bigger than these.  

Notts County attendance was made up of a big following from Stockport, Grimsby are on a massive high and Chesterfield now second in the league and very similar to Vale. Colchester brought 170 fans today. If Vale keep this up, we'll see a decent increase, especially against the big hitters

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Paul6754 said:

Yep the 3-0 did flatter them. However, I thought Covolan made a good save at the near post from Sears(?) on one of the few occasions they did wake up, if it had gone in the jelly might have wobbled a bit.

Yeah. They were still in it at 2-0 and that next goal, if there is one, is always massive. We will smash someone 5 or 6 soon, I'm sure of it.

Edited by Beech
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, blackdog said:

An all round professional performance in my book, I thought on another day Colchester could have scored a couple, but overall we dominated, Conlon MOM in my opinion. 

Enjoyed game today, played some neat football,agree on another day Colchester could have scored a couple and super Vale could have had 5, keep believing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Platty's Tassels said:

Notts County attendance was made up of a big following from Stockport, Grimsby are on a massive high and Chesterfield now second in the league and very similar to Vale. Colchester brought 170 fans today. If Vale keep this up, we'll see a decent increase, especially against the big hitters

The 12-00 Bradford kick off has killed a potential 7000. 

Other than them, Tranmere who we've already played,  there are some pitiful away followings in this division.

FGR had 2200 today and they are top. 

Possibly Hartlepool and Oldham will bring respectful following and Warsaw is a night match. 

League one our aim. Pompey , Wednesday etc etc . 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

We looked streets ahead of Colchester.  I’m going to put my Carl from Wolstanton negative hat on and say it was far too easy at times today to the point when our showboating almost cost us on a couple of occasions.  Yet another game where we took our foot off the gas second half instead of putting a very poor team to the sword.  Feel free to shoot at my tin hat.

Cue opening to "Shotgun wedding"😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Platty's Tassels said:

Gibbo is absolute class. His desire shines through. He's capable of playing left and right back, he can score the odd goal, his commitment is second to non. Top quality player and one I'm sure will unfortunately leave us one day for a decent pay-out for the club. 

Just thinking after the game how many scouts might have been there watching Gibbo and Conlon (and possibly Rodney). If we stay in the automatic places, we're odds on to get interest if not bids in the transfer window. L1 offers I'm sure we can repel with the prospect we're going up but what would the club do if we had decent offers from the Championship? A lot would depend on the player. Just hoping that we can keep this side together because my guess is, with some key additions, we'd do well in L1. I'm sure Carol and Kev have real ambitions for the club, so I just hope they'd do what it takes to repel all invaders.

UTV!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, darren1810 said:

The 12-00 Bradford kick off has killed a potential 7000. 

Other than them, Tranmere who we've already played,  there are some pitiful away followings in this division.

FGR had 2200 today and they are top. 

Possibly Hartlepool and Oldham will bring respectful following and Warsaw is a night match. 

League one our aim. Pompey , Wednesday etc etc . 

With our position we should be getting minimum of 6000 home fans each game and not having to rely on away fans to take it up over that mark.  I know Bradford on the box and that will reduce the gate but even going into the winter months really hope our supporters get behind us as we are playing some great stuff at home and feel we should be getting more.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Beech said:

Yeah. They were still in it at 2-0 and that next goal, if there is one, is always massive. We will smash someone 5 or 6 soon, I'm sure of it.

I’m gonna keep throwing a fiver at it 33/40 to 1. Value imo. We play col u 33 times we out 5 past them at least once. 
 

 

4E96BB2E-BC87-443D-822F-51ECD325655D.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, CambridgeDon said:

Just thinking after the game how many scouts might have been there watching Gibbo and Conlon (and possibly Rodney). If we stay in the automatic places, we're odds on to get interest if not bids in the transfer window. L1 offers I'm sure we can repel with the prospect we're going up but what would the club do if we had decent offers from the Championship? A lot would depend on the player. Just hoping that we can keep this side together because my guess is, with some key additions, we'd do well in L1. I'm sure Carol and Kev have real ambitions for the club, so I just hope they'd do what it takes to repel all invaders.

UTV!

For the first time since Sir John, I would feel confident that if any of our players were sold - for the proper money - that money would be reinvested in the squad, and on good quality replacements!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, valefan79 said:

With our position we should be getting minimum of 6000 home fans each game and not having to rely on away fans to take it up over that mark.  I know Bradford on the box and that will reduce the gate but even going into the winter months really hope our supporters get behind us as we are playing some great stuff at home and feel we should be getting more.

I'd normally agree with you - but you have to remember the dross and false promises / positions we've had and been in, over recent seasons. There will be some confidence rebuilding to do. It's pretty obvious from some of the comments on here that Vale fans have had their noses rubbed in it, for quite a while - it will need consistently good performances, and maintaining our position in the top 3...or, at least, challenging to restore some of this lost faith. We will get there - I'm sure of that!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great performance completely outclassed them with the scary thing being i dont think we had to get out of a second gear to do so.

we were hungrier than them first to every second ball and then when we had it passed it about really nicely. james wilson is becoming better as the games go by. Lead the line really well. Thought politic tied there number 18 in knots all first half and he was put out of his misery at half time being dragged off. 
 

conlons best game in a while. Pett is too good for this level hes a 9/10 every week. 

every single one of them was on there game today. Bring on crawley!

Edited by Vale1995
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, CambridgeDon said:

Just thinking after the game how many scouts might have been there watching Gibbo and Conlon (and possibly Rodney). If we stay in the automatic places, we're odds on to get interest if not bids in the transfer window. L1 offers I'm sure we can repel with the prospect we're going up but what would the club do if we had decent offers from the Championship? A lot would depend on the player. Just hoping that we can keep this side together because my guess is, with some key additions, we'd do well in L1. I'm sure Carol and Kev have real ambitions for the club, so I just hope they'd do what it takes to repel all invaders.

UTV!

I think that with Gibbo or Conlon, if we go up Vale would be in a good position to offer what's required to keep them (Conlon was sorted don't forget before this season)...Gibbons needs to be looked after too IMO...If a Championship club comes in and its a huge opportunity , then we cant compete. Depends on the player of course. Grass isn't always greener and can definitely decline the players career. But at the end of the day money talks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, darren1810 said:

Anybody hear Clarkey on RS . He really gives it to Mr Bowers .

As soon as Bowers mentioned how poor Colchester were first half Clarke bit his head off saying that is because we need credit for it. 

I'm not bothered about Colchester !! Brilliant Clarkey neither am I. 

Bowers seems to rub Clarke up the wrong way but I don't think any questions he asks are particularly provocative!

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, valeparklife said:

Bowers seems to rub Clarke up the wrong way but I don't think any questions he asks are particularly provocative!

 

I just dont think DC likes talking to the press full stop, seems a ball ache for him.

 

Much prefer it to Askey and Aspin though. Their press was dire

Edited by Platty's Tassels
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Reporting Posts and Ignoring Users

    Admin don't read everything. Don't assume we'll spot rule breaking. Please report posts and we'll act on ASAP. If you're logged in use the orange report post button. If you're not logged in, please use the contact form

    If you can't get on with another user you can "ignore" them. Follow the link, type in their username and save - Click here

    Check with admin if you wish to sell/auction any items. We're happy to support good causes but check first - Contact us here

  • Friends of OVF




×
×
  • Create New...