onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Colchester United

Fosse69

10 hours ago, andy jones said:

The first time since Sir John's days that I have just sat and watched such excellent quality football.

James Wilson is a great footballer and getting fitter by the week.

Our midfield is the best in the division.

Great to see a growing attendance in Bycars. Could it be fans who are still a bit nervous of sitting in a crowd are heading for Bycars and some social distancing?

Wilson is the new incarnation of Ron Futcher, who, for me, represented the beginnings of the upturn in quality in the early Rudge era.

I love it when he drops deep and joins the midfield.

The major difference being that Futcher was coming to the end of his career.

Wilson is still establishing himself.

Advert

9 hours ago, valefan16 said:

If only they had good strikers and good defenders they could of won 3-1.

We toyed with them at times second half… deluded.

Had we had 6 they couldn’t have complained in the end.

I keep seeing how poor their defenders were and yes they looked that way BUT was that because our play made them look poor? They had the 3rd best defence up until yesterday.

To some(not saying its you by the way) always seem to say that when we win the opposition has been poor,i just think sometimes our play makes teams look poor.

23 minutes ago, werstayinup said:

I keep seeing how poor their defenders were and yes they looked that way BUT was that because our play made them look poor? They had the 3rd best defence up until yesterday.

To some(not saying its you by the way) always seem to say that when we win the opposition has been poor,i just think sometimes our play makes teams look poor.

DC certainly agree with you and let Bowers know 😂

Cracking result… lovely Jubbly.

14 hours ago, darren1810 said:

Am I right that prior to kick off Garrity was second top scorer ?

If correct we had our top 2 scorers missing and won 3-0 at a canter. 

Very promising. Loved Politic first half he was terrific and they didn't have a clue how to handle him. 

Wonder why given our form apart from the fact it was quite cold that the crowd dropped by 300-400 . 

You're missing out. 

It’s Half Term week so I missed the game as away with the kids, as I’m sure a few others did. Plus don’t forget that Barrow bought 300+ extra.

Their defence looked rubbish because they had a flat back 4 and all 4 of them are old. 

With what ended up as a 343 from us, when we established possession you ended up with:

Chambers Eastman Smith Daniels (all over 30)

vs

Gibbons Politic Wilson Rodney Worrall

They never had a prayer. Our left was rampant first half as they couldn't decide whether to mark Gibbons or Politic. A few times, Hannant was having to track back to cover Gibbons when the fullback was taken up by Politic.

We had a very quick and mobile front 5 in possession up against 4 decrepit old men. The fact Mullins did so little to change it is concerning from a ColU perspective.

DC, again, got it absolutely bang on yesterday. 

12 hours ago, Aguar61 said:

Seems to be working, doesn't it. We've figured out that there's more second half noise at the south end of the Railway than Bycars.

We absolutely hammered the Hamil Road end with water for 20 minutes prior to KO.

Wow what performance yesterday!! We played really good football and deliberatly not played the ball in box without Proctor in the middle.

I watched with immense pride our 3 local lads -  Wilson,Gibbo & Conlon who each destroyed Colchester. I thought those 3 where outstanding. I'd go as far to say Gibbo was 10 out of 10.

I really love our manager  - I think he's going to be a legend at our club.

On 22/10/2021 at 15:54, PV1973 said:

I don’t think it’s just solely a case of a right sided player being on the left, having watched some training I’m going to take more than an educated guess and say that when Gibbo plays inside to the forwards feet, who then lay it back to a midfielder, whilst gibbo makes an overlapping run….. (like the Sutton goal that we scored from that side for example )….. is a training ground routine in a attempt to get him behind the fullback for a pull back.

You where spot on mate from the training sessions.

13 hours ago, darren1810 said:

I genuinely think we might have a chance of getting him. 

Was astonished earlier to see that Sarcevic has left Bolton and joined Stockport. Now I know Stockport are rolling in cash but a cheeky offer might tempt them to sell. I'm sure Sarcevic was one of Bolton's main men. Let's start with a 10 grand offer 🤔

Yes I saw that re Sarcevic, absolutely bonkers. So why would you swap L1 football with a big, well-supported club for non-league?? They must have thrown some serious coin at him.

11 hours ago, NellyTheValiant said:

I'm not too sure about this😆

When you get caught dithering about on the edge of your own penalty area not once, but twice (hang your head in shame Chambers) and hand the opposition a two-goal lead inside the first 15 minutes, it's always going to be an uphill struggle. Noah is right, we created at least four clear-cut chances, Hannant's missed header, when there was three of them at the back post, and I reckon he even had time to chest it down for one of the three blast home. Wiredu's near post header was basically an open goal, and he nudged it inches past the post. From our viewpoint at the wrong end of the ground, I counted probably three very good chances to score, not least Frank's tap-in chance - which looked to me like it caught the heel of his marker and just bobbled through to the 'keeper. Others may disagree, but I thought Frank actually had one of his better games today, particularly when he was cutting in from the left during the first half. Nothing much Shamal could do about all three goals, but otherwise he had a good game too - I actually thought in real-time their third (straight from a corner) was an own goal off the back of a U's player's head?

As for Eastman's substitution, he hadn't done much wrong first half, certainly not compared to Chambers, but I got the impression it was a tactical substitution to put MWH into the right back slot, and give us more threat down that flank - and it kind of worked too, just no one in the box to finish things off.

As for Port Vale, they weren't all that if I'm honest. With a generous slice of whatifery, including not dicking about with the ball on the edge of our own penalty area, and players spending time on the training ground actually finishing chances, we could have won that one 3-1 easy.

Accepts his goalkeeper had a good game in which they conceded 3 and then engages in "well, if they didn't do good things, and we did do good things, then we'd won". Deep, deep denial. They got all excited in the summer when they set up the Ipswich Retirement Home, and now it's hitting home that that was a very stupid idea and it's another season of mediocrity at best. 

I think you could take any game of football ever, and say "magic away the good stuff the opposition did, invent some good stuff that we never did, and hey presto, we win".

They had a couple of good chances, as every team is going to have in League 2 as no one is good enough to establish total control. However, we never looked ruffled and it was boringly easy in the second half, as their players had long given up. 

11 hours ago, robf said:

Ha! @NellyTheValiant Does anyone want to tell that Colchester fan that matches are settled by a series of factual events that occur in reality not a series of "what ifs" and "maybes" that happen in his imagination????

Let the fans celebrate a great performance and result but I bet DC will touch on the “ifs” and “maybes” behind closed doors. We are where we are because we are becoming a thoroughly professional football club.

2 hours ago, SFBT said:

Wilson is the new incarnation of Ron Futcher, who, for me, represented the beginnings of the upturn in quality in the early Rudge era.

I love it when he drops deep and joins the midfield.

The major difference being that Futcher was coming to the end of his career.

Wilson is still establishing himself.

I look at a current Steve Brooker, with goals to come he could become folklore to future generations 

Archived