onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Colchester United

Fosse69

Advert

48 minutes ago, andy jones said:

James Wilson is a great footballer and getting fitter by the week.

Yes I think he's really benefitting from the game time. He's such an intelligent footballer and I have a feeling he's one of those who could go on a goalscoring run. Even if he doesn't he brings so much more than goals to the team. 

I thought the Colchester back-line was in pieces at times but in a way can you blame them. When you're facing Politic, Wilson and Rodney and knowing that at any time any of them could just turn on the style and make you look like an idiot, it must be nerve wracking. 

I'm not too sure about this😆

When you get caught dithering about on the edge of your own penalty area not once, but twice (hang your head in shame Chambers) and hand the opposition a two-goal lead inside the first 15 minutes, it's always going to be an uphill struggle. Noah is right, we created at least four clear-cut chances, Hannant's missed header, when there was three of them at the back post, and I reckon he even had time to chest it down for one of the three blast home. Wiredu's near post header was basically an open goal, and he nudged it inches past the post. From our viewpoint at the wrong end of the ground, I counted probably three very good chances to score, not least Frank's tap-in chance - which looked to me like it caught the heel of his marker and just bobbled through to the 'keeper. Others may disagree, but I thought Frank actually had one of his better games today, particularly when he was cutting in from the left during the first half. Nothing much Shamal could do about all three goals, but otherwise he had a good game too - I actually thought in real-time their third (straight from a corner) was an own goal off the back of a U's player's head?

As for Eastman's substitution, he hadn't done much wrong first half, certainly not compared to Chambers, but I got the impression it was a tactical substitution to put MWH into the right back slot, and give us more threat down that flank - and it kind of worked too, just no one in the box to finish things off.

As for Port Vale, they weren't all that if I'm honest. With a generous slice of whatifery, including not dicking about with the ball on the edge of our own penalty area, and players spending time on the training ground actually finishing chances, we could have won that one 3-1 easy.

Ha! @NellyTheValiant Does anyone want to tell that Colchester fan that matches are settled by a series of factual events that occur in reality not a series of "what ifs" and "maybes" that happen in his imagination????
To be fair, there's a fair few on here who live in that 'what could have been' world too! Read through every match thread where we've won for the past 4 seasons barring this one and you'll see what I mean!

2 minutes ago, robf said:

Ha! @NellyTheValiant Does anyone want to tell that Colchester fan that matches are settled by a series of factual events that occur in reality not a series of "what ifs" and "maybes" that happen in his imagination????

TBF Rob I'm quite happy for him to be living in cloud cuckoo land, the more they believe their side are doing well the better it is for us.

See that you had a lovely day too. 

1 hour ago, valeparklife said:

Bowers seems to rub Clarke up the wrong way but I don't think any questions he asks are particularly provocative!

Bowers should by have realised by now that he's not interviewing a nice and fluffy Lorraine Kelly type, but someone with characteristics more in common with Alan Sugar.  My point being, that you wouldn't approach the respective interviews in the same manner.  Clarke doesn't react warmly to blindingly obvious statements or assumptions, but engages better to questions that pick his thoughts, especially so soon after the game.  Boweres would be fine if he stuck to asking who, what, when, where and how questions and if he needs to probe a little deeper,  should use tell, explain and describe (TED) questions 

Even if Clarke is a little on the abrasive side, it's about knowing the profile of the person and adjusting yours accordingly.

Having said that, I do believe Phil Bowers to be a decent all round bloke. 

4 hours ago, Bimbleabout said:

Good result today. They were woeful up front. A better team would've punished us, but they weren't and didn't so up too second we go. Good job lads.
Waiting at the bus stop to go home atm and two guys moaning about Vale and DC emoji849.pngemoji848.png you seriously couldn't make it up. UTV

Was one of them RZ by any chance as i have been wondering where he had gone

Not sure if anyone else has mentioned this but have to say well done again to the organisers of the fanzone.  Absolutely brilliant today with the German beers for the “Oktoberfest”.

As the weather gets cooler/wetter it’d be nice to see another marquee for cover so that fans can continue to enjoy in their numbers.

TBF Rob I'm quite happy for him to be living in cloud cuckoo land, the more they believe their side are doing well the better it is for us.
See that you had a lovely day too. 

If only they had good strikers and good defenders they could of won 3-1.

We toyed with them at times second half… deluded.

Had we had 6 they couldn’t have complained in the end.

I don’t blame him for getting a bit touchy at that question, you see it in here so often when we win or play well, and yet you’ll still see comments along the lines of, “well the the opposition were rubbish though”, “another team would have scored 2 or 3 against us today” or “good job that we weren’t playing a top side today”. Let’s give us some credit for playing well so I get where Clarke was coming from and let’s face you will never go through any game where the opposition don’t have a chance to score at some point. 

We blew them away and played very well in large spells, they couldn’t recover from the opening half hour and they couldn’t handle us. They couldn’t deal with our seemingly simple game plan of pushing the wingbacks high and playing with pace and intensity to basically over run them. I think we saw some of the best football played down there for a long time and also one of the best individual performances from a full back in a long time too, as well as one of the best overall team performances where you couldnt say that anyone was below par. There are so many positives to take from that game instead of chipping away at that by criticising Colchester like it came across that Phil was trying to do in his interview, maybe we made them look so bad because we were so good. 

9 hours ago, ValeForever. said:

Good win today to make it a good week for us. Great to be up in 2nd place & you could argue we're even a few points shy & could be top of the tree.

Rochdale we should've been out of sight, Sutton we threw away 3 points & then a point. Carlisle & Tranmere at home could've easily won either one of those as well. Only game we've been fortunate was Mansfield in the week.

Will certainly take our current position though having also beaten lots of the teams around us. On to Crawley we go!

Agree about DC in interviews, he gets asked the same dross every week. There's only so many times he can say he's not looking ahead of the next game. Bowers needs to mix it up, it annoys me never mind DC.

Agree.  Looking at the form, first 4 games, FGR 12 points, us 3. Last 10 game, FGR 18, us 22. Long way to go but mighty whites hitting their straps now. 

Archived