onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Colchester United

Fosse69

Great result, some really good performances, Gibbons, Conlon and Wilson were excellent and could have been 4 or 5.  The only downside for me was the crowd, we been playing some decent stuff most of the season and top 6 since mid September but less than 5500 was a poor gate for me.  In the league below there was Chesterfirled with over 5500, Grimsby over 6000 and Notts County over 7500 and we keep claiming to be a lot bigger than these.  

Advert

1 minute ago, blackdog said:

An all round professional performance in my book, I thought on another day Colchester could have scored a couple, but overall we dominated, Conlon MOM in my opinion. 

They certainly should have scored more than a couple but they were rattled from the off and lacked the composure that we often showed. Politic was a thorn in their side with his positive runs towards the area. On our day we're a tough side for anyone at our level. Happy days!

1 hour ago, Beech said:

Maybe we made them look so bad just as Mansfield did to us at times earlier this week. Sometimes you just have to give credit to your opposition on the day. But the truth usually lies somewhere in the middle.

Yes spot on Mansfield pressed us and we could not get any flow to our game but today, what an effort from the lads brilliant from every one of them and MADE Colchester look average and limited them to very few chances, keep believing it's our golden year. 

We looked streets ahead of Colchester.  I’m going to put my Carl from Wolstanton negative hat on and say it was far too easy at times today to the point when our showboating almost cost us on a couple of occasions.  Yet another game where we took our foot off the gas second half instead of putting a very poor team to the sword.  Feel free to shoot at my tin hat.

6 minutes ago, valefan79 said:

Great result, some really good performances, Gibbons, Conlon and Wilson were excellent and could have been 4 or 5.  The only downside for me was the crowd, we been playing some decent stuff most of the season and top 6 since mid September but less than 5500 was a poor gate for me.  In the league below there was Chesterfirled with over 5500, Grimsby over 6000 and Notts County over 7500 and we keep claiming to be a lot bigger than these.  

We really should be getting over 6,000 week in week out with our form and league position. We never seem to be able to sustain decent crowds for some reason. 

In terms of the game, well it was pretty easy wasn’t it? Colchester were awful and never looked interested.

We controlled the game throughout the defence, midfield and forward line. Politic, Rodney and Wilson looked like a formidable front 3. 

We look strong in every position and we seem to just have the extra quality on the majority of opponents.

It really could be a great season. 

1 hour ago, Beech said:

Happens to all of us at this level. Only takes a few players having an off day and you'll get turned over. But we still had to show up and we certainly did that. I thought 3-0 flattered them a bit as it should have been a couple more.

Yep the 3-0 did flatter them. However, I thought Covolan made a good save at the near post from Sears(?) on one of the few occasions they did wake up, if it had gone in the jelly might have wobbled a bit.

9 minutes ago, valefan79 said:

In the league below there was Chesterfirled with over 5500, Grimsby over 6000 and Notts County over 7500 and we keep claiming to be a lot bigger than these.  

Notts County attendance was made up of a big following from Stockport, Grimsby are on a massive high and Chesterfield now second in the league and very similar to Vale. Colchester brought 170 fans today. If Vale keep this up, we'll see a decent increase, especially against the big hitters

1 minute ago, Paul6754 said:

Yep the 3-0 did flatter them. However, I thought Covolan made a good save at the near post from Sears(?) on one of the few occasions they did wake up, if it had gone in the jelly might have wobbled a bit.

Yeah. They were still in it at 2-0 and that next goal, if there is one, is always massive. We will smash someone 5 or 6 soon, I'm sure of it.

18 minutes ago, blackdog said:

An all round professional performance in my book, I thought on another day Colchester could have scored a couple, but overall we dominated, Conlon MOM in my opinion. 

Enjoyed game today, played some neat football,agree on another day Colchester could have scored a couple and super Vale could have had 5, keep believing. 

3 minutes ago, Platty's Tassels said:

Notts County attendance was made up of a big following from Stockport, Grimsby are on a massive high and Chesterfield now second in the league and very similar to Vale. Colchester brought 170 fans today. If Vale keep this up, we'll see a decent increase, especially against the big hitters

The 12-00 Bradford kick off has killed a potential 7000. 

Other than them, Tranmere who we've already played,  there are some pitiful away followings in this division.

FGR had 2200 today and they are top. 

Possibly Hartlepool and Oldham will bring respectful following and Warsaw is a night match. 

League one our aim. Pompey , Wednesday etc etc . 

14 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

We looked streets ahead of Colchester.  I’m going to put my Carl from Wolstanton negative hat on and say it was far too easy at times today to the point when our showboating almost cost us on a couple of occasions.  Yet another game where we took our foot off the gas second half instead of putting a very poor team to the sword.  Feel free to shoot at my tin hat.

Cue opening to "Shotgun wedding"😁

46 minutes ago, Platty's Tassels said:

Gibbo is absolute class. His desire shines through. He's capable of playing left and right back, he can score the odd goal, his commitment is second to non. Top quality player and one I'm sure will unfortunately leave us one day for a decent pay-out for the club. 

Just thinking after the game how many scouts might have been there watching Gibbo and Conlon (and possibly Rodney). If we stay in the automatic places, we're odds on to get interest if not bids in the transfer window. L1 offers I'm sure we can repel with the prospect we're going up but what would the club do if we had decent offers from the Championship? A lot would depend on the player. Just hoping that we can keep this side together because my guess is, with some key additions, we'd do well in L1. I'm sure Carol and Kev have real ambitions for the club, so I just hope they'd do what it takes to repel all invaders.

UTV!

1 minute ago, darren1810 said:

The 12-00 Bradford kick off has killed a potential 7000. 

Other than them, Tranmere who we've already played,  there are some pitiful away followings in this division.

FGR had 2200 today and they are top. 

Possibly Hartlepool and Oldham will bring respectful following and Warsaw is a night match. 

League one our aim. Pompey , Wednesday etc etc . 

With our position we should be getting minimum of 6000 home fans each game and not having to rely on away fans to take it up over that mark.  I know Bradford on the box and that will reduce the gate but even going into the winter months really hope our supporters get behind us as we are playing some great stuff at home and feel we should be getting more.

Archived