onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Colchester United

Fosse69

7 hours ago, darren1810 said:

Because Cass is showing to be a footballing centre half who roams and makes great passes in a five I'm not convinced of him in a flat back four . 

I'd personally go Smith and Martin if we go 4-3-3 . 

Not sure id start martin- im yet to be convinced with him if i was playing upfront agaisnt him id think ive got a sniff against him. Doesnt seem comfortable on the ball. Slow turn off foot and just looks a bit clumsy to me. 

Advert

Not sure id start martin- im yet to be convinced with him if i was playing upfront agaisnt him id think ive got a sniff against him. Doesnt seem comfortable on the ball. Slow turn off foot and just looks a bit clumsy to me. 
I'm going give the lad time and the benefit of the doubt last year we conceded 7 v Mansfield he stayed on the other day and he was injured in a earlier challenge second half and I'm thinking he did OK considering we played all the game defensively .
UTV

I'm going give the lad time and the benefit of the doubt last year we conceded 7 v Mansfield he stayed on the other day and he was injured in a earlier challenge second half and I'm thinking he did OK considering we played all the game defensively .
UTV
That can't be right? Brown played in both of those games and Legge in one, so how could we have conceded 7? We don't/didnt concede when these guys play/played?

12 hours ago, robf said:

We (the Fielding family) are matchball sponsors on Saturday.

It was my 50th during lockdown so it's a delayed birthday present to be in the posh seats.

I'm really looking forward to the behind the scenes tour as I've heard lots about the improvements to the tunnel area, dressing rooms etc.

I'll try and put some photos on here if I get any good ones. 

Rob, enjoy your long awaited belated birthday present

Guest Vale at home
2 hours ago, Playa Amodores said:

Rob, enjoy your long awaited belated birthday present

I hope the Vale Win for you  Rob .

On 21/10/2021 at 09:42, robf said:

We (the Fielding family) are matchball sponsors on Saturday.

It was my 50th during lockdown so it's a delayed birthday present to be in the posh seats.

I'm really looking forward to the behind the scenes tour as I've heard lots about the improvements to the tunnel area, dressing rooms etc.

I'll try and put some photos on here if I get any good ones. 

Have a great day and hopefully 3 points for Vale will top it for you and family.

Hoping for a good game against Dad's army. With big Proc injured I would be really tempted to play a slightly different way 343 with lots of energy to overrun Ipswich sorry ~I mean Colchester team,  I'm sure they have prepared to play against 352 all week. 

I would go  -:

Cov

Smith Martin Jones 

Wozza Conlon Pett  Benning

Amoo Wilson Politic

This game could really open up for Rodders coming on as a sub with 20 to go.

Hoping for a good game against Dad's army. With big Proc injured I would be really tempted to play a slightly different way 343 with lots of energy to overrun Ipswich sorry ~I mean Colchester team,  I'm sure they have prepared to play against 352 all week. 
I would go  -:
Cov
Smith Martin Jones 
Wozza Conlon Pett  Benning
Amoo Wilson Politic
This game could really open up for Rodders coming on as a sub with 20 to go.

Rodneys sub appearances this season have left me completely underwhelmed and, against Rochdale, furious. Wish I could share your optimism on his effectiveness as a sub.

I'm also amazed that you're dropping Gibbo for Benning, keeping Martin in for Cass, and dropping Garrity for Amoo!

I'd be tempted to go with the side that did for Barrow at the start of that second half

Cov

Gibbo    Smith      Jones    Benning

Pett         Conlon

Woz         Garrity        Politic

Wilson  

Either that or Martin in for Benning with Jones at LB, (not sure how big a team Colchester are now, or if they take the aerial route). I know Benning was poor by all accounts on Tues, but was great second half on Saturday in a back four, so I'd be tempted to stick with him there (even if he has looked poor as LWB).

I feel also we need to go with more bodies in midfield and options out wide when Proctor isn't there to hold the ball up, gives us more short passing options, keep it on the deck. And all of the 3 in that 4-2-3-1 (or Amoo as another option possibly instead of Politic from the start) are happy to run on beyond Wilson, who in turn is happy to collect the ball deeper, so makes us hard for defenders to track.

38 minutes ago, philmpv said:

Rodneys sub appearances this season have left me completely underwhelmed and, against Rochdale, furious. Wish I could share your optimism on his effectiveness as a sub.

I'm also amazed that you're dropping Gibbo for Benning, keeping Martin in for Cass, and dropping Garrity for Amoo!

Rodders has been poor to date but at some point he will get going and be a huge asset for us down the stretch. Just his sheer presence on the pitch tends to make teams drop deeper and create more space for us to play in.

My pick is Horse for courses. A different system means a few tweaks to make it work buy here's my logic:

Benning is he's natural left footed and doesn't need to keep coming inside which breaks down and slows our attacking threat. We need to play quicker against and old team and not slow build up play. 

Martin provides height with Proc out injured defending and attacking set-pieces. 

A different formation requires a different type of player.  Amoo fits the bill in this system with direct running with the ball to move the opposition out of position. You could play Wozza on the 3 and play Gibbo in the RM role but as the home team I went with the more attacking option with the safety net of Smith and the more defensive right sided CB.

Just shows how strong the squad is and the  options at our disposal. Its so refreshing.

29 minutes ago, MBE said:

Rodders has been poor to date but at some point he will get going and be a huge asset for us down the stretch. Just his sheer presence on the pitch tends to make teams drop deeper and create more space for us to play in.

My pick is Horse for courses. A different system means a few tweaks to make it work buy here's my logic:

Benning is he's natural left footed and doesn't need to keep coming inside which breaks down and slows our attacking threat. We need to play quicker against and old team and not slow build up play. 

Martin provides height with Proc out injured defending and attacking set-pieces. 

A different formation requires a different type of player.  Amoo fits the bill in this system with direct running with the ball to move the opposition out of position. You could play Wozza on the 3 and play Gibbo in the RM role but as the home team I went with the more attacking option with the safety net of Smith and the more defensive right sided CB.

Just shows how strong the squad is and the  options at our disposal. Its so refreshing.

I don’t think it’s just solely a case of a right sided player being on the left, having watched some training I’m going to take more than an educated guess and say that when Gibbo plays inside to the forwards feet, who then lay it back to a midfielder, whilst gibbo makes an overlapping run….. (like the Sutton goal that we scored from that side for example )….. is a training ground routine in a attempt to get him behind the fullback for a pull back. Worrall makes the same movements and does the same link up play at times too on his side. There’s a lot more method to what players do on the pitch than some fans may think. Besides overall performance wise Benning has been nowhere near good enough, certainly not better than gibbo IMO. 

Rodney hasn’t set the world alight this season, so I agree in the front 3 with Amoo and politic either side of Wilson. 

If Rodders is suffering from long covid he may well need a lot more time to get back to his best? We have enough bodies to fill those attacking places - let's keep switching it around so the opposition doesn't know what to expect?...except when Proctor is fit, as he has to play when he's fit?

Always a tough one for me this!

Vale through and through as a Boslem lad but found myself in Colchester for the last 25 years and as a stones throw from home its hard not to follow the local team. Not many can claim to follow both teams avidly.

First and foremost I want a Vale win for the record.

The U's have been poor so far and are toothless up top. Defensively pretty solid. Hard to break down but lacking in any creativity.

I'd like to think we should run out worthy winners by a couple of goals if we play anywhere near our potential.

Archived