onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Relegation beckons….

Phil1965

I went to Wycombe on Saturday, as it’s a local game for me. We played really well, but Wycombe are a very physical side, who were just launching the ball into our box for the last ten minutes. The referee was awful, probably the worst I have seen for a number of years.

I have to say though that the Wycombe fans were very friendly, they had a marquee in the car park open to home and away fans with a bar, live music and a big screen to watch Norwich getting hammered at Chelsea. The beer was local from the Rebellion Brewery in Marlow.

Advert

On 17/10/2021 at 16:36, Phil1965 said:

It’s your resident Crewe fan here, looking bleak for us this season, we have lost all our best players that won us promotion two years ago - Ng, Kirk, Pickering, Dale, Wintle. Lowery doesn’t seem to want to play any more and we are relying on loan players.

Looks like we could be passing you on the way down, but that, as they say, is football! Will be going to Wycombe next week as it’s a short drive for me, but can only see a defeat there.

What do the next crop of youngsters looks like? Any potential future stars?

Most teams would suffer losing decent players like you mention, but why weren't the transfer fees reinvested back into the squad?

2 minutes ago, valeparklife said:

What do the next crop of youngsters looks like? Any potential future stars?

Most teams would suffer losing decent players like you mention, but why weren't the transfer fees reinvested back into the squad?

Genuinely happy to be corrected by Phil, but I remember Gary Roberts saying Crewe wouldn't sell him (I believe to Cardiff) as the fee wasn't high enough to ensure Dario got a good piece of the pie.

It may be absolutely rubbish, but eventually the business model of 'invest heavy in academy, produce great players, sell them to invest heavy in academy, repeat' has to get a bit tedious? I understand the sustainability and the 'morally good' side of doing it, but as a Crewe fan I'd get worn down by the futility of it all. 

3 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Genuinely happy to be corrected by Phil, but I remember Gary Roberts saying Crewe wouldn't sell him (I believe to Cardiff) as the fee wasn't high enough to ensure Dario got a good piece of the pie.

It may be absolutely rubbish, but eventually the business model of 'invest heavy in academy, produce great players, sell them to invest heavy in academy, repeat' has to get a bit tedious? I understand the sustainability and the 'morally good' side of doing it, but as a Crewe fan I'd get worn down by the futility of it all. 

And it doesn't come cheap to do it this way.

I'm sure I read somewhere it costs around £500k a year to run the academy? (correct me if I'm wrong).

Surely as a fan that wants a competitive side, you'd prefer that to go into the playing budget?

4 hours ago, Phil1965 said:

I went to Wycombe on Saturday, as it’s a local game for me. We played really well, but Wycombe are a very physical side, who were just launching the ball into our box for the last ten minutes. The referee was awful, probably the worst I have seen for a number of years.

Was that Steve Martin?  I saw him do a game at Forest a few years ago.  He sent off two away players, both red cards were rescinded.  He's mad!

I love Crewe’s model with the academy, however they either need to have a spell where the attempt to keep some of these players or actually re invest it into the squad. No use bringing through great young players to then sell them and then put the money back into the academy. Some should obviously but some has to go on improving that 11. Otherwise like this season they’ll struggle. 

10 hours ago, valeparklife said:

And it doesn't come cheap to do it this way.

I'm sure I read somewhere it costs around £500k a year to run the academy? (correct me if I'm wrong).

Surely as a fan that wants a competitive side, you'd prefer that to go into the playing budget?

I've been told on pretty good authority it costs £1m plus per annum to run Crewe's academy, they are not recouping that amount or anywhere near it now, I often wonder what we would think of the business model that gave you short term success followed by relegation as will surely happen as the production line fails, their supporters seem to accept the inevitable.

2 minutes ago, blackdog said:

I've been told on pretty good authority it costs £1m plus per annum to run Crewe's academy, they are not recouping that amount or anywhere near it now, I often wonder what we would think of the business model that gave you short term success followed by relegation as will surely happen as the production line fails, their supporters seem to accept the inevitable.

Small club small ambitions 

Having spent most of my childhood living through the dismal 70s and endless re-election years (with the occasional pleasure, beating Birmingham 2-1 in the League Cup in 1974/75 was a highlight as they were Division 1 team, then losing to eventual winners Aston Villa after a replay, in front of a 12,000 crowd), I accept that Crewe must be one of the smallest towns to have a league club, but then this is why we support our home town team. Does  Vale’s support come mainly from Burslem and Tunstall?

24th, 7 points adrift and 14 goals behind on GD behind 20th. If they continue as they have for the first 15 games they're on to finish on about 25 points. 

I know it's not quite November but I'd be surprised if they turned that round now. 

56 minutes ago, Doha said:

24th, 7 points adrift and 14 goals behind on GD behind 20th. If they continue as they have for the first 15 games they're on to finish on about 25 points. 

I know it's not quite November but I'd be surprised if they turned that round now. 

who cares!

1 hour ago, Doha said:

Not according to Pete Morse he reckons they have a better squad than last season !

Archived