onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Relegation beckons….

Phil1965

It’s your resident Crewe fan here, looking bleak for us this season, we have lost all our best players that won us promotion two years ago - Ng, Kirk, Pickering, Dale, Wintle. Lowery doesn’t seem to want to play any more and we are relying on loan players.

Looks like we could be passing you on the way down, but that, as they say, is football! Will be going to Wycombe next week as it’s a short drive for me, but can only see a defeat there.

Advert

1 minute ago, Phil1965 said:

It’s your resident Crewe fan here, looking bleak for us this season, we have lost all our best players that won us promotion two years ago - Ng, Kirk, Pickering, Dale, Wintle. Lowery doesn’t seem to want to play any more and we are relying on loan players.

Looks like we could be passing you on the way down, but that, as they say, is football! Will be going to Wycombe next week as it’s a short drive for me, but can only see a defeat there.

Hi Phil, that’s football for you.

50 minutes ago, Phil1965 said:

Phil, good to see you on OVF. I hope that you manage to turn it around, perhaps a little help from the big clubs in the NW, in January

Well, I think it’s difficult as a fan to know how you’d react to finding out about the child abuse behind the development of (in footballing terms) a successful academy that has underpinned a very successful period at the club and still leaves a legacy in terms of structures for player development. The ex Crewe fan I know just completely stopped following them, more based on the lack of contrition or taking responsibility by the club as an establishment. I can’t really express myself more fully than that. Nothing against Crewe fans per se, unless they also try to defend the club’s record on that matter. On a tangental note, I’ve never considered them local rivals.

3 hours ago, Phil1965 said:

I know it’s the Crewe model but surely they didn’t need to part with all those players in one close season. All L1 & L2 clubs will lose their better players at some point but losing 5/6 is footballing suicide. 
Vale are a long way from being promoted and it could all yet end in disappointment but I’m yet to see a team better than us in the league so we have a chance. Not bad saying we didn’t win until our 5th league game.

Has anyone got to the bottom of why those two Crewe players out of the blue retired this season yet? One was only 27, not heard anything about it since. 

It's the sort of mad thing that happens in a relegation season, not gonna lie, all relegation seasons have some mad stuff going on somewhere. Like our mad thing of signing some European non-league reservists to start in League 1 in 16/17.

Basically you can't sell all your prize possessions like they did and expect the production line to have a ready made replacement. 

Football tends to go in cycles in the lower leagues and every dog will have its day. I do enjoy the games against them but no tears shed by me if they go down.

Cannot abide Artell and the fact that the Morse character still has a job on RS is staggering given the fact he is an absolute denier and critical of people like Woodward and Walters. 

Crewe - 2/3 years in league 2 to bring some talented players through. Get promoted and do a couple of years in league 1. Sell better players and not replace them because the money goes back in to the academy. Get relegated back to league two wait for the next crop of young players and repeat

12 hours ago, Doha said:

Has anyone got to the bottom of why those two Crewe players out of the blue retired this season yet? One was only 27, not heard anything about it since. 

It's the sort of mad thing that happens in a relegation season, not gonna lie, all relegation seasons have some mad stuff going on somewhere. Like our mad thing of signing some European non-league reservists to start in League 1 in 16/17.

One of them was 33 and wanted to move back to South Wales to be close to family and the other had endured a lot of injuries and preferred to get into the exciting world of accountancy rather than play for Crewe.

Having endured listening to Artell on the wireless, a perectly understandable decision. 

Well, they are my club, so that will be the case until I die, but I accept that for the smaller clubs you just have to enjoy the good times and accept that the club will go through bad times as well, on and off the pitch.

I saw the highlights of your defeat at Sutton and the long throws were causing you problems, but then you get quite a few Route 1 clubs at this level. I think you will go up this season, either automatically or via the play offs. Good to see you have good people running the club. My son is at Keele University now, so has been able to get to a couple of Alex matches. He went into a pub in Newcastle wearing a Crewe shirt and got some funny looks!!

I’m pleased Bowler has gone and we now have a new chairman who seems more in tune with a need to make amends for the awful things that happened at the club 30 years ago.

As for Artell, I can see how he winds people up, but he’s done a good job over the last 3-4 years, but he’s got a long winter ahead of him.

Archived