• OVF player sponsorship 2022

£10 to enter. More details and a link to donate can be found here

Match Thread: Mansfield Town v Port Vale

Fosse69

Advert:

2 hours ago, Beech said:

Not to my knowledge. He's not an attacking midfielder or anything but from what I've always seen of him, here and there, I certainly wouldn't label him a genuine defensive midfielder either. Not to say he isn't capable enough. I see him as a bit of a Joe Allen type player in that he's busy and tidy.

Looks like from JoeBs post that he did play DM for Lincoln.

I like him in the role, less blunt force brute and more intelligent breakup play and quarterback.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

Looks like from JoeBs post that he did play DM for Lincoln.

I like him in the role, less blunt force brute and more intelligent breakup play and quarterback.

Fair enough if he has. But I still like my defensive midfielder to have a physical presence about him, like Griffiths, or Porter way before him. I think with the three that started last night we're a little bit weak physically.

Edited by Beech
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Beech said:

He's not a defensive midfielder though. Certainly not a proper one. 

He isn't physical but he is definitely a proper defensive player. He screens the back line well covering lots of ground filling in spaces left behind, always prepared to take the ball from the back line, makes a lot of interceptions in passing lanes to break up the play and usually attempts to play the ball forwards rather than backwards. He has rarely lost the ball. Not sure what else you need a defensive midfielder to do?

He's been excellent in most games for me this season, one of our most consistent performers. His GPS stats I suspect are very impressive.

• Like 1

Advert:

If all clubs agree a set admission price per age group then there won’t be a disparity. But that would be far to easy wouldn’t it !!!! 
There should be a maximum price per age group as a % of the adult admission price. Clubs could always charge less if they wish.

11 hours ago, Matlock Vale said:
11 hours ago, Beech said:

Fair enough if he has. But I still like my defensive midfielder to have a physical presence about him, like Griffiths, or Porter way before him. I think with the three that started last night we're a little bit weak physically.

Midfield like a sieve yesterday.

It certainly was . Couldn't keep possession. But I think we can give them a bit of leeway. 

Pett has been a steadily improving player, Garrity an unexpected bonus has been excellent and hopefully Conlon can now find his form. 

I'm sure that the more physical attributes of Walker will see him get plenty of minutes and the last two aways he'd of been perfect. 

Certainly wouldn't like to be making the choice of which one of Pett and Garrity makes way , I'm assuming as Conlon is captain he's number one midfielder. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MBE said:

He isn't physical but he is definitely a proper defensive player. He screens the back line well covering lots of ground filling in spaces left behind, always prepared to take the ball from the back line, makes a lot of interceptions in passing lanes to break up the play and usually attempts to play the ball forwards rather than backwards. He has rarely lost the ball. Not sure what else you need a defensive midfielder to do?

He's been excellent in most games for me this season, one of our most consistent performers. His GPS stats I suspect are very impressive.

Have a presence. There's no getting away from the fact that as a three, Conlon, Garrity and Pett are all pretty weak players and don't have much physical presence between them, despite having plenty of other good attributes. Walker has a bit of that as he's a unit, and therefore once fully fit I'd like to see him in the team.

Edited by Beech

5 minutes ago, Beech said:

Have a presence. There's no getting away from the fact that as a three, Conlon, Garrity and Pett are all pretty weak players and don't have much physical presence between them, despite having plenty of other good attributes. Walker has a bit of that as he's a unit, and therefore once fully fit I'd like to see him in the team.

I would agree with that. Personally I would put Walker back in as well at the expense of Garrity so Conlon can play further forward to affect games more and because we are severely lacking in height, especially when Proctor is out.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, rider1308 said:

If all clubs agree a set admission price per age group then there won’t be a disparity. But that would be far to easy wouldn’t it !!!! 

There is a rule in the Prem that the Away adult price is £30. Senior and Junior tickets vary though. 

Edited by Jacko51

Advert:

5 hours ago, MBE said:

I would agree with that. Personally I would put Walker back in as well at the expense of Garrity so Conlon can play further forward to affect games more and because we are severely lacking in height, especially when Proctor is out.

Exactly how I see it. Sutton bullied us to get the 3 points in the end, and having Walker and then Legge back in the side should help a lot against that. For me I think it's either Pett or Garrity, even if they offer different things, ideally. But that's obviously if Walker actually plays well when he gets his chance.

Edited by Beech

6 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

There is a rule in the Prem that the Away adult price is £30. Senior and Junior tickets vary though. 

30 quid to watch Ronaldo, Salah and De Bruyne, 25 quid I had pay the other night to watch Mansfield. Summat wrong there. 

• Like 1

Agreed. Don’t see why we should change it either. Flying in the league, for me the midfield wasn’t the reason we struggled on Tuesday. Mansfield as a side were more up for it and pushed our full backs back (as did barrow). Pett and Conlon would get in every midfield in this division 

• Like 1

Advert:

My own personal opinion is that Conlon is not performing that well at all, by the standards that he has set for himself. Despite this, he's still notching a few goals and assists, which I think is glossing over his relatively subpar performances. He'll come good, I'm sure, but he's not undroppable, certainly if his goals dry up

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Agreed. Don’t see why we should change it either. Flying in the league, for me the midfield wasn’t the reason we struggled on Tuesday. Mansfield as a side were more up for it and pushed our full backs back (as did barrow). Pett and Conlon would get in every midfield in this division 

The midfield couldn't pass wind on Tuesday. Continually gave the ball away. 

Think I posted earlier though that I'd leave be at the moment. There's no doubt for me that Walker will have his time but Garrity has performed well and deserves to stay in the team. 

It would appear Pett and Conlon are the first two names in midfield but I totally agree with Phil. Conlon has been miles off , his goals have started to come but for whatever reason he hasn't been anything like himself in general play. 

That's what I'm liking, we have players not totally at it yet and we are still up there . 

• Like 1

Conlon will be on other clubs radars. A player that can change a game in an instant with a goal or linking play in the final third, keeps the ball ticking over, good in possession, he has an aggressive streak too. Nowhere near as bad as people like to think IMO. Certainly not bad enough to contemplate dropping. 

Edited by PV1973