Match Thread: Mansfield Town v Port Vale

Fosse69

1 hour ago, wotsyobeef said:

Tom Pett is up near the top of the tackling stats for both this season and last.Screenshot_20211020-141756_DuckDuckGo.jpgScreenshot_20211020-141341_DuckDuckGo.jpg

He's not a defensive midfielder though. Certainly not a proper one. 

Edited by Beech

36 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

I thought he played that position for Lincoln when they got promoted?

He did. 51 games. Comments from a Lincoln mate when we signed him.

796573892_Screenshot2021-10-20at16_32_33.thumb.png.c25214a8f69fc66071a4982978b77743.png

I think he's got the most tackles in League 2. He was excellent in the first half last night, consistently turning and spreading the play, completely dictating it. He knocked a great ball into Lloyd, who was fouled and Conlon banged in the resulting free-kick. He went quiet second half and got a bit loose, but entire team was dodgy.

Pett's a really good, unflashy player. 

Edited by Joe B
  • Like 4

17 hours ago, Joe B said:

DC with a very reasonable analysis. Mansfield very good and in a false position in the table (thinks they'll finish top 10) ; too many 4-5/10s for us. Conlon with a bit of brilliance, Lucas responding well to Saturday's criticism. You'll have off days in League 2 and when you do, you take the point and move onto the home game.

I like his interviews - very honest, no BS! Refreshing with good analysis!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Joe B said:

DC with a very reasonable analysis. Mansfield very good and in a false position in the table (thinks they'll finish top 10) ; too many 4-5/10s for us. Conlon with a bit of brilliance, Lucas responding well to Saturday's criticism. You'll have off days in League 2 and when you do, you take the point and move onto the home game.

Agree re the manager's analysis.

Interesting that The Sentinel gave everyone between 7.5 and 6 !!!

Lets be honest it is rare that we get such a poor performance ALL game under DC but this was one BUT what i will say is play like that and dont lose is a bonus.... win most of your home games,dont lose in the majority of away games will certainly = promotion,so i wont go over the top on this performance after some of the games we have seen of late...they are due an odd one throughout the season,anyway on to the next one and IF we can get a win that will be 7 points out of 3 games and that will do

• Like 2

2 hours ago, philmpv said:
2 hours ago, Beech said:

He's not a defensive midfielder though. Certainly not a proper one. 

That may be so, but it says it all about the strength of recruitment and/or poor quality of previous L2 squads that Joyce was, and Pett is much better than him

He certainly is!

I like Pett. I like Conlon and Garrity. But I don't think any of them are great defensively. Walker hasn't shown too much yet but he is a genuine defensive midfielder that sits in front of your backline. 

Edited by Beech
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Iron Curtain said:

I thought he played that position for Lincoln when they got promoted?

Not to my knowledge. He's not an attacking midfielder or anything but from what I've always seen of him, here and there, I certainly wouldn't label him a genuine defensive midfielder either. Not to say he isn't capable enough. I see him as a bit of a Joe Allen type player in that he's busy and tidy.

Edited by Beech

I think that it's interesting that Mansfield fans are commenting that it was their best performance of the season bar 1 so if that's as good as they've got then it bodes well.

We didn't help ourselves last night constantly telegraphing passes, far too slow to control it, the movement was almost non existent and when we did try to go long or switch the play the passes were terrible.

They also gave credit to Conlon for the free kick, I'm not sure that we'd be so gracious had Covolan let that in.

2 hours ago, Doha said:

Still can't get over 16 quid for an U12 ticket last night. Outrageous, Vale is free isn't it?

Yeah I was amazed at what they're charging, all tickets for the various age ranges are more expensive, minimum was a couple of quid for an adult but up to £16 as you say for an U12.