Jump to content

Match Thread: Mansfield Town v Port Vale


Fosse69

Recommended Posts

 
Mansfield fans will be scratching their heads tonight how we started the game 3rd.
Still, it's the sign of a decent team to get something when you're really poor, and you also have to give Mansfield credit as they no doubt put in their best performance of the season.
 
Earlier you said we were appalling, and now you are saying it's the sign of a decent team to get something and then giving Mansfield credit.... make your mind up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guest Vale at home
31 minutes ago, Platty's Tassels said:

That was a hard watch, and we were lucky to come home with a point. But tbh I would have taken a point if you asked me before the game.

Yes I agree .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Mario said:
16 minutes ago, Beech said:
 
Mansfield fans will be scratching their heads tonight how we started the game 3rd.
Still, it's the sign of a decent team to get something when you're really poor, and you also have to give Mansfield credit as they no doubt put in their best performance of the season.
 

Earlier you said we were appalling, and now you are saying it's the sign of a decent team to get something and then giving Mansfield credit.... make your mind up

 

Nothing to make my mind up about. The performance was shocking, certainly in comparison to what we are capable of, but we defended well and ultimately didn't lose the game against a decent side

What is so difficult to understand about that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A frustrating watch that. Key points from me:

1. Our passing was woeful. Never really felt we had an extended passage of play where we kept the ball and built. Mansfield spent most the game doing this.

2. Liked the savyness of pett and smith. Pett took the sting out of the game when needed and Smiths yellow at the end shoving their winger into touch was great.

3. It was a shame martin got injured at the beginning of second half. That 3 minutes down to 10 men just sat us deep and basically set the pattern that it would be like the first half. 

4. I didn't really enjoy our gamesmanship. I think the ponderous goal kicks, subs and time over throws just veered over the tipping point of too much. Don't get me wrong, sometimes it is funny (mostly covolan), often it is needed (to manage pace of the game) but today it felt over done for me.

5. I think it is harsh to dig out Lloyd. Think he did as much as he could with the service and long balls. Be interested in seeing how he does in a game where we have more of the ball.

6. Finally really happy with a point. Still think there is more to come from this team. I think with the good start we sometimes forget how many new players we have.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nothing to make my mind up about. The performance was shocking, certainly in comparison to what we are capable of, but we defended well and ultimately didn't lose the game against a decent side.

What is so difficult to understand about that?

Edited by Beech

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, dantheman said:

Amazing how differently we all view things. Thought him a garrity were part of the problem tonight. Never at it at all I’m my eyes. Players ghosted past Conlon all night and his passing was woeful at times. No where near it other than a sublime free kick. 

Fair points mate.

Can't think of many players with his level of technique in this division though.

Poor game by his standards but that free kick and the one off the bar near the end, sets him apart to be fair.

People will pay for that kind of thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Turgid performance but we still had the odd flash of class that Mansfield simply don’t have. Mansfield looked like a team battling for a point at the end of a season to avoid relegation. They were dogged, determined but a better side? No, we were just too passive and disjointed. 
 

Rodney was poor and only Covalan and Pett impressed me. Politic, Wilson and Jones ok too. The rest looked a bit drained, Worrall wasted again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pleased with a point after last season's results against them, and our usual results against teams on a winless streak.

Not seen the game, but a bit surprised Rodney got the nod over Amoo considering his record for the reserves as a striker and DC's. comments he is turning him into a striker. Thoughts?

Has 'you know who' come out of the dressing room at gresty yet? Lol

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rubbish performance and lucky to get a point.

Covolan bailed us out with the penalty but he was a bit messy in the first half again before calming down.

Created very little and Mansfield were the much better side, without massively testing our goal. Lots of semi-circular passing around our box but definitely deserved a win more than us. 

Assume Gibbons' minutes are managed due to his previous injury problems. We really miss Proctor's hold up play. 

A side note; Vale fans are very quiet when things don't go well on the pitch. It's quite reactive; when Vale score/look decent, we make a bit of noise, but otherwise we were silent and outsung by 30 teenagers with a drum, even at 1-0 up. It's a strange one as we travel in good numbers but our away atmosphere has been pretty poor for a while and, whilst their fans would make a bit of noise when they were struggling, we go quiet and offer howls, even wails, of dismay at every misplaced pass. Clarke has noticed as he repeatedly refers to the place 'going flat' when the team doesn't perform. We seem to offer noise as a reward for good play, as opposed to pre-empting it. 

Regardless, 4th and we're not looking like we'll lose many this year. 

 

Edited by Joe B
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Rubbish performance and lucky to get a point.

Covolan bailed us out with the penalty but he was a bit messy in the first half again before calming down.

Created very little and Mansfield were the much better side, without massively testing our goal. Lots of semi-circular passing around our box but definitely deserved a win more than us. 

Assume Gibbons' minutes are managed due to his previous injury problems. We really miss Proctor's hold up play. 

A side note; Vale fans are very quiet when things don't go well on the pitch. It's quite reactive; when Vale score/look decent, we make a bit of noise, but otherwise we were silent and outsung by 30 teenagers with a drum, even at 1-0 up. It's a strange one as we travel in good numbers but our away atmosphere has been pretty poor for a while and, whilst their fans would make a bit of noise when they were struggling, we go quiet and offer howls, even wails, of dismay at every misplaced pass. Clarke has noticed as he repeatedly refers to the place 'going flat' when the team doesn't perform. We seem to offer noise as a reward for good play, as opposed to pre-empting it. 

Regardless, 4th and we're not looking like we'll lose many this year. 

 

 

We gave them very little to get excited about tonight. It was a John Askey level performance on a cold, miserable evening. Had we played anything like what we're capable of, and actually made a few tackles in midfield, no doubt they would have responded and made a bit more noise.

Edited by Beech

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Beech said:

We game them very little to get excited about tonight. It was a John Askey level performance on a cold, miserable evening. Had we played anything like what we're capable of, and actually made a few tackles, no doubt they would have responded and made a bit more noise.

That's the point I'm making - Vale fans react to good stuff, but don't encourage it if its not happening. They won't make noise before Vale do anything good, and if Vale are bad, it's complete and utter silence, and sometimes outright indignation at misplaced passes, grown men absolutely howling. We started slow tonight and the fans matched it.

Just think we could create a better atmosphere even if the team is not playing well. It's going to happen this year and it's weird to sit in complete silence when the team is 3rd in the table and on a great run. Mansfield are on a 12 game winless run, 90/92, 1-0 down, and still made more noise than us with 30 youths.

I've noticed similar in away games we've taken a good following to before. Not sure why but we don't often create very good away atmospheres anymore. 

Edited by Joe B
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DC with a very reasonable analysis. Mansfield very good and in a false position in the table (thinks they'll finish top 10) ; too many 4-5/10s for us. Conlon with a bit of brilliance, Lucas responding well to Saturday's criticism. You'll have off days in League 2 and when you do, you take the point and move onto the home game.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Starting XI puzzled me. Thought it was set up for 433, especially with Cass out. Interesting how DC refused to criticise the team but laid into Cov at the weekend. There's an interesting relationship there (which might be working given Lucas' performance tonight). 

One small thing from me, and I know it's no big deal, but I wish DC would let Phil Bowers finish a sentence. Jesus, if Pep Guardiola can, Darrell Clarke can. 

Generally feeling pretty positive after tonight. Those are the points that get you promoted. On to Sat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Beech said:

 

We gave them very little to get excited about tonight. It was a John Askey level performance on a cold, miserable evening. Had we played anything like what we're capable of, and actually made a few tackles in midfield, no doubt they would have responded and made a bit more noise.

To be fair to JA, I enjoyed a few electric away days under his leadership. FGR, Cheltenham (twice), Man City etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Reporting Posts and Ignoring Users

    Admin don't read everything. Don't assume we'll spot rule breaking. Please report posts and we'll act on ASAP. If you're logged in use the orange report post button. If you're not logged in, please use the contact form

    If you can't get on with another user you can "ignore" them. Follow the link, type in their username and save - Click here

    Check with admin if you wish to sell/auction any items. We're happy to support good causes but check first - Contact us here

  • Friends of OVF




×
×
  • Create New...