Advert

Match Thread: Mansfield Town v Port Vale

Fosse69

2 hours ago, Joe B said:

I thought second half, after the subs (57th min), we were:

Smith Martin Jones Benning

Garrity Pett Conlon

Worrall Rodney Politic

Politic was definitely wide left and not playing centrally, which would imply a front three, and Worrall seemed to be much higher up the pitch, with Smith further out to the right of defence.

Then, Gibbons came on, and the back 4 shifted to: Gibbons, Smith, Martin, Jones.

I thought Worrall was still wing back before Gibbo came on, he certainly spent a lot of time defending in the second half. 🤔 maybe I just didn’t notice the change as we were pretty bad. 

Advert

9 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

Heard this mentioned in the ale and vale podcast, but if an attacking team have players less than a metre away from the defending wall then an indirect free kick is awarded to the defending team. Our lads looked pretty close to that for our goal. 

WWW.THEFA.COM

The referee spaced them and moved Garrity to the right of the wall over to be 1m away.  All looks good to me.

Pretty much everyone had an off night, including the manager. It was almost like we approached the whole game as one we just wanted to get out of the way, rather than one against a side super low on confidence on a night when a win for us would've been huge considering the other fixtures.

I'm definitely in the 'trust the process' camp. However, at this point we have to say that the recruitment in defence has been a failure on the whole. Dan Jones has been superb this season and was a fabulous signing. Cass is a young lad who's stepped up well when asked to do so. Crucially though, the two 'commanding' centre backs we bought in to replace/challenge Legge are so far off it it's unreal (Martin and Johnson) and Benning is a finished player and should never start a game ahead of James Gibbons unless the latter has two broken legs. We shouldn't be in a position where Smith and Legge are still our best two centre backs (I count Jones as more of a hybrid left sided defender). It cost us the game at Sutton and we were lucky to get away with it last night. 

Already looking ahead to January, I'd hope that we can ship out Johnson and replace with a CB who can push us onto promotion in the 2nd half of the season.

23 minutes ago, jjvale_03 said:

Pretty much everyone had an off night, including the manager. It was almost like we approached the whole game as one we just wanted to get out of the way, rather than one against a side super low on confidence on a night when a win for us would've been huge considering the other fixtures.

I'm definitely in the 'trust the process' camp. However, at this point we have to say that the recruitment in defence has been a failure on the whole. Dan Jones has been superb this season and was a fabulous signing. Cass is a young lad who's stepped up well when asked to do so. Crucially though, the two 'commanding' centre backs we bought in to replace/challenge Legge are so far off it it's unreal (Martin and Johnson) and Benning is a finished player and should never start a game ahead of James Gibbons unless the latter has two broken legs. We shouldn't be in a position where Smith and Legge are still our best two centre backs (I count Jones as more of a hybrid left sided defender). It cost us the game at Sutton and we were lucky to get away with it last night. 

Already looking ahead to January, I'd hope that we can ship out Johnson and replace with a CB who can push us onto promotion in the 2nd half of the season.

I think Martin is less disastrous than you suggest, but he's no better than OK. Johnson has struggled and Benning disappointing. I think Cass has largely been very good. Two great signings, one 'OK' signing, and two poor ones isn't a failure in my view. Undoubted room for improvement but Jones and Cass are definite upgrades on last year's equivalent. 

Just now, Joe B said:

I think Martin is less disastrous than you suggest, but he's no better than OK. Johnson has struggled and Benning disappointing. I think Cass has largely been very good. Two great signings, one 'OK' signing, and two poor ones isn't a failure in my view. Undoubted room for improvement but Jones and Cass are definite upgrades on last year's equivalent. 

Maybe a little OTT on Martin, although he signed a two year deal and the thought of him anywhere near a L1 squad (let alone starting XI) scares me based on what I've seen so far. I'm not a huge fan of Leon Legge, but the fact I'd pick him over Martin any day is telling. Personally, I wouldn't put that down as an 'ok' signing.

I've been pleased with Cass, but he is only on loan and therefore it's a short term signing where his future is not our decision. I'd rather judge us on permanent signings on multi-year deals that may prove fairly expensive failures. 

In saying all of that, our defensive record is very strong this season and long may that continue. Just frustrating that with the number of defenders we have in the squad, it still doesn't feel like there's much quality in depth. I'd be extremely concerned if Dan Jones got injured.

Gibbons come on and then we started competing the 80 mins prior it was almost as if DC had said to his players let Mansfield look really good so that is m8 Nigel Cloughs still in a job and his hometown team get a positive result v us .
There's no way that was the same team I've seen in the last 4 home games where we have out ran out manoeuvred and out classed our opposition gamely .
As for the fans not singing backing the team they paid there money get there and the level of performance was dire some payed 25 quid get in good job Tom Conlons dead ball skills and Covalans excellent night in goal gave them something shout about as I paid a tenner on ifollow and I hated most of last night's performance .
However after losing 7-0 on aggregate last season v the mighty Mansfield the result was downright excellent but on that performance if regularly repeated with them going through our midfield too easily for my liking the top 7 is light years away.
But the prior 12 games would suggest we are a very good side lets hope we get back to it on sat .
UTV

5 minutes ago, valefan16 said:

Thought Martin was decent last night, won most things that were crossed into our box in the air.

I thought that he too had a reasonable game.  Considering the amount of the ball that they had in and around our box they didn't have too many clear chances.  He missed 5 mins, or it seemed as long as that, of the 2nd half getting his nose plugged too, it seemed that the physios were also concerned so maybe took a knock to the head.

Couple of dodgy moments though particularly when heading a cross facing his own goal when reaching for it and off balance, we've seen that somewhere.

1 hour ago, jjvale_03 said:

I probably wouldn’t be that harsh, however I do agree that the ‘tweaks’ in January should in the commanding CB role. Smith is better in the centre than in the right side of a 3, and we don’t have a natural replacement for Cass at RCB. I do like Smith in the centre, however it’s a big ask when we come up against a 6.5 foot centre forward. 

The other tweak would be up top. I’d cut short Lloyd’s loan and look to bring in more of a target man type striker. 

Archived