onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Mansfield Town v Port Vale

Fosse69

30 minutes ago, Joe B said:

We played 433 second half (Politic, Rodney, Worrall front three) and were much, much worse. 

We weren't great with a 352 but we looked a bit better. 

Politic came on and did very little, which was disappointing. It was an off-night but 352 has served us relatively well.

I didn’t think we changed formation until Gibbo came on and Benning went off. 

Advert

3 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

I didn’t think we changed formation until Gibbo came on and Benning went off. 

I thought second half, after the subs (57th min), we were:

Smith Martin Jones Benning

Garrity Pett Conlon

Worrall Rodney Politic

Politic was definitely wide left and not playing centrally, which would imply a front three, and Worrall seemed to be much higher up the pitch, with Smith further out to the right of defence.

Then, Gibbons came on, and the back 4 shifted to: Gibbons, Smith, Martin, Jones.

45 minutes ago, Joe B said:

I think we're far enough into the season to surmise that Benning isn't the player we thought we were signing. It's a disappointment but with Jones, Gibbons, and Amos, LB/LWB isn't an area of concern.

because Jones has such a high ceiling and is already showing he can be fantastic for us, having Benning as his back up is fine. we all expected a player of league 1 ilk, but he's much better than what most of the sides in this league will have as options if their first choice LWB goes down.

50 minutes ago, Joe B said:

We played 433 second half (Politic, Rodney, Worrall front three) and were much, much worse. 

We weren't great with a 352 but we looked a bit better. 

Politic came on and did very little, which was disappointing. It was an off-night but 352 has served us relatively well.

Doesn't matter what formation you play if your midfield isn't in the game at all. We could have had Salah, Mane and Jota up top last night and it probably wouldn't have made the difference it should. We lack a proper ball winner in midfield at times for me, especially away from home when you're likely to have less of the ball.

But nobody can argue that playing this wing-back formation is wasting Worrall, one of our best players. Doesn't help either when Benning has been pretty crap whenever he has started on the other side. He was poor last night at both ends of the pitch and may as well have had a Mansfield shirt on once again.

20 minutes ago, valefan16 said:

He clearly isn't fit, his pace seems to be gone at the moment. He is the one I thought would benefit most from fans being back getting us off our seat when he bursts forward and getting him going but hasn't happened at all.

since he got covid he seems to have lost power and stamina, which is a concern. maybe he's just feeling his heel injury.

1 minute ago, Beech said:

Doesn't matter what formation you play if your midfield isn't in the game at all. We could have had Salah, Mane and Jota up top last night and it probably wouldn't have made the difference it should. We lack a proper ball winner in midfield at times for me, especially away from home when you're likely to have less of the ball.

But nobody can argue that playing this wing-back formation is wasting Worrall, one of our best players. Doesn't help either when Benning has been pretty crap whenever he has started on the other side.

we have no defensive midfielders apart from Walker, who is going to be in and out like Manny. I suppose DC classes Pett as an all-rounder but like you said I think the midfield 3 have very similar attributes.

A couple of other posters have mentioned it as well but I really don’t like our time wasting tactics. 
I think it’s unnecessary and the type of thing that in the past we have criticised certain other sides for.

ok when under pressure take a few seconds to take the he heat down a bit but the time we take over throw ins an goal kicks sometimes is ridiculous. 

i know  it’s supposedly the ‘professional’ way but personally I find it embarrassing if that’s the way we have to be to win or draw a game. 

refs get wise to it and just add on additional time at the end so you end up playing 6 minutes more when you are most tired. 

Just now, osprey said:

A couple of other posters have mentioned it as well but I really don’t like our time wasting tactics. 
I think it’s unnecessary and the type of thing that in the past we have criticised certain other sides for.

ok when under pressure take a few seconds to take the he heat down a bit but the time we take over throw ins an goal kicks sometimes is ridiculous. 

i know  it’s supposedly the ‘professional’ way but personally I find it embarrassing if that’s the way we have to be to win or draw a game. 

refs get wise to it and just add on additional time at the end so you end up playing 6 minutes more when you are most tired. 

I want to see Cov swapping his laces over for every goal kick from 60 mins onwards. assuming we're winning.

Well very happy we got a point, a little concerned we played so poorly as I think performances set the tone. Were they that much better or were we just having an off day, I really hope we see a much improved performance on Saturday from the off. After all the micro analysis of Covlan against Barrow why not after Mansfield! 

4 minutes ago, bomber said:

Well very happy we got a point, a little concerned we played so poorly as I think performances set the tone. Were they that much better or were we just having an off day, I really hope we see a much improved performance on Saturday from the off. After all the micro analysis of Covlan against Barrow why not after Mansfield! 

Yes agree, not on our game tonight, giving away a lot of possession, Which seems to have crept in to our game more, the condition did not help for playing good football wet and very gusty, same for both sides I know, but maybe we should give them some credit,showing signs of there potential, Great away support, we move on, roll on Saturday, let's beat the 6k barrier, keep believing our golden year. 

That's the point I'm making - Vale fans react to good stuff, but don't encourage it if its not happening. They won't make noise before Vale do anything good, and if Vale are bad, it's complete and utter silence, and sometimes outright indignation at misplaced passes, grown men absolutely howling. We started slow tonight and the fans matched it.
Just think we could create a better atmosphere even if the team is not playing well. It's going to happen this year and it's weird to sit in complete silence when the team is 3rd in the table and on a great run. Mansfield are on a 12 game winless run, 90/92, 1-0 down, and still made more noise than us with 30 youths.
I've noticed similar in away games we've taken a good following to before. Not sure why but we don't often create very good away atmospheres anymore. 
Perhaps we can persuade Carol to go all Delia smith in the centre circle at the next game. " let's be avin you!!!

Archived