onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Mansfield Town v Port Vale

Fosse69

6 minutes ago, Beech said:

We game them very little to get excited about tonight. It was a John Askey level performance on a cold, miserable evening. Had we played anything like what we're capable of, and actually made a few tackles, no doubt they would have responded and made a bit more noise.

That's the point I'm making - Vale fans react to good stuff, but don't encourage it if its not happening. They won't make noise before Vale do anything good, and if Vale are bad, it's complete and utter silence, and sometimes outright indignation at misplaced passes, grown men absolutely howling. We started slow tonight and the fans matched it.

Just think we could create a better atmosphere even if the team is not playing well. It's going to happen this year and it's weird to sit in complete silence when the team is 3rd in the table and on a great run. Mansfield are on a 12 game winless run, 90/92, 1-0 down, and still made more noise than us with 30 youths.

I've noticed similar in away games we've taken a good following to before. Not sure why but we don't often create very good away atmospheres anymore. 

Advert

DC with a very reasonable analysis. Mansfield very good and in a false position in the table (thinks they'll finish top 10) ; too many 4-5/10s for us. Conlon with a bit of brilliance, Lucas responding well to Saturday's criticism. You'll have off days in League 2 and when you do, you take the point and move onto the home game.

Starting XI puzzled me. Thought it was set up for 433, especially with Cass out. Interesting how DC refused to criticise the team but laid into Cov at the weekend. There's an interesting relationship there (which might be working given Lucas' performance tonight). 

One small thing from me, and I know it's no big deal, but I wish DC would let Phil Bowers finish a sentence. Jesus, if Pep Guardiola can, Darrell Clarke can. 

Generally feeling pretty positive after tonight. Those are the points that get you promoted. On to Sat.

53 minutes ago, Beech said:

We gave them very little to get excited about tonight. It was a John Askey level performance on a cold, miserable evening. Had we played anything like what we're capable of, and actually made a few tackles in midfield, no doubt they would have responded and made a bit more noise.

To be fair to JA, I enjoyed a few electric away days under his leadership. FGR, Cheltenham (twice), Man City etc.

Genuine question - has Benning stopped more than one cross in all his accumulated game time since joining Vale?

Rodney poor again. Should have been Amoo to come on.

Joe makes a good point about the atmosphere but I think it was clear from the get go it was going to be one of those games and the inevitable blanket of exasperation and frustration, and even resignation, quickly takes over the crowd who’ve seen it all before. I’ve never seen us so sloppy and wasteful as tonight. Constantly turning it over, aimlessly hoofing it to a yellow shirt, passing across our own sodding back line on a wet pitch and getting caught out. It’s infuriating how often attacking moves and even set pieces end up being played backwards to the keeper as there’s no movement and none of them have a clue what to do with it.

One of Worralls poorest displays for us I thought but then he’s stuck back at WB.

They looked the 3rd placed side and us the 22nd. They wanted to win, were comfortable on the ball, we wilted from the first whistle and had the short passing game of a deer on ice. Worse than Stevenage that was.

Watching it was completely annoyed more than any other game this season I've watched them .
Here are my marks .
COVALAN 8 saved pen did nowt wrong our best player in my opinion
Smith 5 looked out of sorts most of night .
Martin 5 did some good things I thought but also did some bad things .
Benning 3 a cone be more useful did he think he was still playing for Mansfield because he showed no desire take them on when we had the ball and was generally miles away from there player when he was crossing .
Jones 5 poor distribution tonight
Worrall 5 headless chicken no real attacking threat at all .
Conlon 6 great goal and another great free kick however spent most of the night chasing shadows .He gets a 6 for his goal and that's it .
Pett 5 chasing shadows
Garrity 5 chasing shadows
LLoyd 5 never held the ball up but was on the end of through ball to win free kick works his socks off ill give him that .
Wilson 5
Subs Gibbons 7 he livened us up a bit .
Politic 6 at least he got us in there half
Rodney 6 thought he did OK but we never played at all all night .
733 Vale fans there and they play like that.
AWFUL.
man of the match the travelling fans

Genuine question - has Benning stopped more than one cross in all his accumulated game time since joining Vale?
Rodney poor again. Should have been Amoo to come on.
Joe makes a good point about the atmosphere but I think it was clear from the get go it was going to be one of those games and the inevitable blanket of exasperation and frustration, and even resignation, quickly takes over the crowd who’ve seen it all before. I’ve never seen us so sloppy and wasteful as tonight. Constantly turning it over, aimlessly hoofing it to a yellow shirt, passing across our own sodding back line on a wet pitch and getting caught out. It’s infuriating how often attacking moves and even set pieces end up being played backwards to the keeper as there’s no movement and none of them have a clue what to do with it.
One of Worralls poorest displays for us I thought but then he’s stuck back at WB.
They looked the 3rd placed side and us the 22nd. They wanted to win, were comfortable on the ball, we wilted from the first whistle and had the short passing game of a deer on ice. Worse than Stevenage that was.

I agree with all of this , painful to watch at times but spot on from Clarke we can turn it into a positive week with a win on Saturday now

3 hours ago, Breadwinner said:

Martin 5 did some good things I thought but also did some bad things .

Just rate everyone like this:

Did some good things and some bad things

Did some good things and no bad things

Did no good things and no bad things

Did no good things and some bad things

The Mansfield commentators were raging about our gamesmanship, in particular when Lloyd went down second half holding his face just before he got subbed. That really did create a hostile environment by the sound of the crowd. They weren’t happy with Covolans time wasting either, which was quality in my book. I thought one of them was going to have a heart attack when that penalty wasn’t given second half. Personally I thought he threw himself forward looking for it. They were full of praise for Mel Benning before the game, interestingly they made a comment that over the last couple of years he never hit the heights of his form of when he first joined them, but as he was about to be subbed even they noticed that he’d done nothing all game. 

Play poorly and take a point isn’t necessarily a bad thing. Just need to stop that becoming a trend, but I think the 3 changes to the starting line up were noticeable in our overall performance and fluidity. Proctor is crucial to us linking with the wing backs and the midfield. We just didn’t get hold of the ball for any meaningful length of time in the game and we seemed to constantly under pressure and sitting back. 

Some negative comments on Conlon earlier in the thread, I agree with another poster in that teams will pay good money for someone who can produce a special moment in a game like he did with the free kick. Game changing players are what stand out and even in a quiet game by his standards he still pulled something out of the bag, that could have won it but at least gave us a share of the spoils. 

Archived