onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Mansfield Town v Port Vale

Fosse69

Just now, wotsyobeef said:
10 minutes ago, Beech said:

I'd like to see Walker in that midfield myself once fit to give us a more physical presence. Looked a bit powderpuff tonight as a whole.

I really wouldn't. I have seen nothing from him other than 2 good through balls to show that he has much to offer. He often gets beaten to easily and chooses to take a yellow in positions where he doesn't need to after which he can't make a tackle. The midfield hasn't looked good yet in a single game in which he has featured. Pett also looks much better in the holding role than when played more advanced. I hope he proves me wrong but as of yet I have seen nothing to show me that he deserves a place in the 1st 11.

He's hardly had a run of games. He's also shown he can play higher up than League Two in his career.

Advert

Second best tonight but came away with a point.

Seemed to be too  much tinkering with formations during the game hence the team were not cohesive.

I'd like to see Jake Taylor start as he has quality but it looks like DC doesn't rate him.

I agree with Adam Yates, Mansfield are in a false position and will push up this league.

Mansfield fans will be scratching their heads tonight how we started the game 3rd.
Still, it's the sign of a decent team to get something when you're really poor, and you also have to give Mansfield credit as they no doubt put in their best performance of the season.

Earlier you said we were appalling, and now you are saying it's the sign of a decent team to get something and then giving Mansfield credit.... make your mind up

Guest Vale at home
31 minutes ago, Platty's Tassels said:

That was a hard watch, and we were lucky to come home with a point. But tbh I would have taken a point if you asked me before the game.

Yes I agree .

3 minutes ago, Mario said:
16 minutes ago, Beech said:

Mansfield fans will be scratching their heads tonight how we started the game 3rd.
Still, it's the sign of a decent team to get something when you're really poor, and you also have to give Mansfield credit as they no doubt put in their best performance of the season.

Earlier you said we were appalling, and now you are saying it's the sign of a decent team to get something and then giving Mansfield credit.... make your mind up

Nothing to make my mind up about. The performance was shocking, certainly in comparison to what we are capable of, but we defended well and ultimately didn't lose the game against a decent side

What is so difficult to understand about that?

A frustrating watch that. Key points from me:

1. Our passing was woeful. Never really felt we had an extended passage of play where we kept the ball and built. Mansfield spent most the game doing this.

2. Liked the savyness of pett and smith. Pett took the sting out of the game when needed and Smiths yellow at the end shoving their winger into touch was great.

3. It was a shame martin got injured at the beginning of second half. That 3 minutes down to 10 men just sat us deep and basically set the pattern that it would be like the first half. 

4. I didn't really enjoy our gamesmanship. I think the ponderous goal kicks, subs and time over throws just veered over the tipping point of too much. Don't get me wrong, sometimes it is funny (mostly covolan), often it is needed (to manage pace of the game) but today it felt over done for me.

5. I think it is harsh to dig out Lloyd. Think he did as much as he could with the service and long balls. Be interested in seeing how he does in a game where we have more of the ball.

6. Finally really happy with a point. Still think there is more to come from this team. I think with the good start we sometimes forget how many new players we have.

Nothing to make my mind up about. The performance was shocking, certainly in comparison to what we are capable of, but we defended well and ultimately didn't lose the game against a decent side.

What is so difficult to understand about that?

33 minutes ago, dantheman said:

Amazing how differently we all view things. Thought him a garrity were part of the problem tonight. Never at it at all I’m my eyes. Players ghosted past Conlon all night and his passing was woeful at times. No where near it other than a sublime free kick. 

Fair points mate.

Can't think of many players with his level of technique in this division though.

Poor game by his standards but that free kick and the one off the bar near the end, sets him apart to be fair.

People will pay for that kind of thing.

Turgid performance but we still had the odd flash of class that Mansfield simply don’t have. Mansfield looked like a team battling for a point at the end of a season to avoid relegation. They were dogged, determined but a better side? No, we were just too passive and disjointed. 

Rodney was poor and only Covalan and Pett impressed me. Politic, Wilson and Jones ok too. The rest looked a bit drained, Worrall wasted again. 

Pleased with a point after last season's results against them, and our usual results against teams on a winless streak.

Not seen the game, but a bit surprised Rodney got the nod over Amoo considering his record for the reserves as a striker and DC's. comments he is turning him into a striker. Thoughts?

Has 'you know who' come out of the dressing room at gresty yet? Lol

Rubbish performance and lucky to get a point.

Covolan bailed us out with the penalty but he was a bit messy in the first half again before calming down.

Created very little and Mansfield were the much better side, without massively testing our goal. Lots of semi-circular passing around our box but definitely deserved a win more than us. 

Assume Gibbons' minutes are managed due to his previous injury problems. We really miss Proctor's hold up play. 

A side note; Vale fans are very quiet when things don't go well on the pitch. It's quite reactive; when Vale score/look decent, we make a bit of noise, but otherwise we were silent and outsung by 30 teenagers with a drum, even at 1-0 up. It's a strange one as we travel in good numbers but our away atmosphere has been pretty poor for a while and, whilst their fans would make a bit of noise when they were struggling, we go quiet and offer howls, even wails, of dismay at every misplaced pass. Clarke has noticed as he repeatedly refers to the place 'going flat' when the team doesn't perform. We seem to offer noise as a reward for good play, as opposed to pre-empting it. 

Regardless, 4th and we're not looking like we'll lose many this year. 

9 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Rubbish performance and lucky to get a point.

Covolan bailed us out with the penalty but he was a bit messy in the first half again before calming down.

Created very little and Mansfield were the much better side, without massively testing our goal. Lots of semi-circular passing around our box but definitely deserved a win more than us. 

Assume Gibbons' minutes are managed due to his previous injury problems. We really miss Proctor's hold up play. 

A side note; Vale fans are very quiet when things don't go well on the pitch. It's quite reactive; when Vale score/look decent, we make a bit of noise, but otherwise we were silent and outsung by 30 teenagers with a drum, even at 1-0 up. It's a strange one as we travel in good numbers but our away atmosphere has been pretty poor for a while and, whilst their fans would make a bit of noise when they were struggling, we go quiet and offer howls, even wails, of dismay at every misplaced pass. Clarke has noticed as he repeatedly refers to the place 'going flat' when the team doesn't perform. We seem to offer noise as a reward for good play, as opposed to pre-empting it. 

Regardless, 4th and we're not looking like we'll lose many this year. 

We gave them very little to get excited about tonight. It was a John Askey level performance on a cold, miserable evening. Had we played anything like what we're capable of, and actually made a few tackles in midfield, no doubt they would have responded and made a bit more noise.

Archived