Another MP murder.

geosname

On 18/10/2021 at 22:49, mr.hobblesworth said:

Really struggling to understand how the tragic death of an MP at the hands of what appears to be a religious fanatic has led to this...

Agree entirely.

It really is quite disgusting that this murder has been hijacked by politicians for something apparently completely unrelated.

On 21/10/2021 at 09:38, For Us All said:

Examples of inflammatory language by Boris against MP's please.

This will be like that time when they all took massive offense at Boris saying "humbug" but go mysteriously quiet whenever the labour mob talk about politicians stabbing each other in the front, to never let a tory have a moments peace, and calling them scum all the time.

Or it will be the 29429249th time they say he called muslim women letterboxes and therefore he is a massive racist, even though it was a joke in an article defending their right to wear the hijab.

They shamelessly weaponised Jo Cox's murder. Still do. It's funny how they're against it now, but secretly all agree with the weaponisation of it because they all want to restrict online freedom. 

3 minutes ago, Regal Beagle said:

This will be like that time when they all took massive offense at Boris saying "humbug" but go mysteriously quiet whenever the labour mob talk about politicians stabbing each other in the front, to never let a tory have a moments peace, and calling them scum all the time.

Or it will be the 29429249th time they say he called muslim women letterboxes and therefore he is a massive racist, even though it was a joke in an article defending their right to wear the hijab.

They shamelessly weaponised Jo Cox's murder. Still do. It's funny how they're against it now, but secretly all agree with the weaponisation of it because they all want to restrict online freedom. 

Yes,they tried to weaponize "humbug" and "surrender" if I remember correctly.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Regal Beagle said:

You don’t half spout some crap 

• Thanks 1

Find it risky that people are very, very keen to pin blame on Rayner's use of language. 

You're putting yourself in a position where you have to analyse language used in the run up to Thomas Mair's murder of Jo Cox. Mair specifically targeted Cox due to her support for the EU, in the run-up to a referendum on that exact issue. 

It's a very slippery slope and I don't personally believe that Rayner's words or any of the language used towards Remain voters in 2016 had any impact on the respective murders.

I'm just saying that if you're making that assertion, as some are, you have to perform the same analysis of Jo Cox's murder. It's probably wisest to avoid it as it opens up a separate debate.

I don't think Rayner should have used the language she did, but I'm also not going to try and draw a link between her language and the murder of an MP in a terrorism attack. 

• Like 2

I think your assessment is a very rational one and I would side with you on the assertion that Rayner's words cannot be directly attributable to last week's tragic murder of Sir David Amess.  However as an example of irresponsible and potentially incendiary language, Angela Rayner should reflect on her words and next time try to be more level headed and more measured about the way in which she delivers future comment.  Disagreeing with the politics and policies of MPs on the opposite benches is all part & parcel of political life.  However, IMO she crossed the line in personalising her attack with injudicious words.

2 hours ago, For Us All said:

Yes,they tried to weaponize "humbug" and "surrender" if I remember correctly.

And you are now doing the same. Let's leave political scoring out of these tragic events. 

Agree that words need to be considered more carefully in an increasingly polarised and inflammatory political space.

I just felt a few on here were very quick/keen to attribute cause, which opens up the same debate regarding language in the EU referendum. If they're going to directly link Rayner's language to Amess' murder, then they have to accept scrutiny of language of figures/media backing Brexit before the murder of Cox, which I imagine they didn't do at the time and won't be keen on doing so now.

Again; I don't believe that this scrutiny is needed or useful, just pointing out what some people are advocating.

Edited by Joe B

Where is Starmer yet again though?

It seems like the tories want to ram this bill through to end online anonymity and are using the Amess murder to do it. Starmer kind of tried to say "but this is an islamic terror incident" but he's so weak willed. If he accepts and votes with the Government is he not kind of admitting some responsibility for comments such as those that Rayner made?

And I agree entirely with your earlier comment - Rayner should not have made the comments and they have nothing to do with this case.