Another MP murder.

geosname

This is shocking and dreadful news. I live in Essex, although not in Sir David's constituency. In a previous job I spoke to him on a number of occasions, sometimes about issues around Southend United, but mostly about issues around street crime in his constituency  This incident is absolutely awful.  Whatever we think of our politicians, now is the time for the traditional MPs surgeries to be held in abeyance until appropriate security can be provided.

RIP Sir David

• Thanks 3

22 minutes ago, ginge said:

Can any admin see where my post has gone?

@ginge - it's to do with the site migration. It takes different times for people to see the site on the new server. The migration has to populate over the entire Internet and that takes hours. During that time, some users were seeing the new site and posting there while others were still posting on the old server. (in effect there were two OVFs in place on two servers).

Once you moved across to the new server then your posts on the old one will vanish. My session moved across to the new site about 3pm today and until then I was seeing the "old" site but I could see that for others it was far quicker. 

However, when everyone has moved across (it should take 24 hours) the hosting team will be "consolidating" the two sites over the weekend so posts on the old server will appear again.

Please therefore, bear with us...

Apologies for going off topic on what is an emotional subject

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, robf said:

@ginge - it's to do with the site migration. It takes different times for people to see the site on the new server. The migration has to populate over the entire Internet and that takes hours. During that time, some users were seeing the new site and posting there while others were still posting on the old server. (in effect there were two OVFs in place on two servers).

Once you moved across to the new server then your posts on the old one will vanish. My session moved across to the new site about 3pm today and until then I was seeing the "old" site but I could see that for others it was far quicker. 

However, when everyone has moved across (it should take 24 hours) the hosting team will be "consolidating" the two sites over the weekend so posts on the old server will appear again.

Please therefore, bear with us...

Apologies for going off topic on what is an emotional subject

Thanks for your reply Rob. 

My original post was saying how horrible this attack was whatever your politicial opinions. This man was at work serving his constituency and for someone to come in and do what they did is a disgrace. Nobody should fear going to work. Thats 2 MPs killed in five years both whilst doing their jobs. 

Also we should be able to see our MPs without extra security and these surgeriee are a democratic right of the public. This attack is an attack on our democracy. Thoughts with Davids family. Also must bring it all back for Jo Coxs family.

1 hour ago, Jacko51 said:

Does anyone else think what has happened today is a dreadful reflection on the aggressive and adversarial nature of our current politics?  It’s tragic. 

Like Angela Raynor calling " Tories scum", again, and refusing to withdraw it?   Might be unconnected,  or it might not be.

She is the deputy leader for christ's sake.  

The thought processes of some people do not work like they should do,  look at our 2  "fans"  response to the orient goalkeepers provocations.

It does make you fear for the future 

As bad as this incident is is it any worse than the incidents below?

Police-recorded offences involving a knife or sharp instrument in the 12 months to March 2021

Police-recorded murders involving a knife or sharp instrument in the 12 months to March 2021.

3 hours ago, geosname said:

As bad as this incident is is it any worse than the incidents below?

Police-recorded offences involving a knife or sharp instrument in the 12 months to March 2021

Police-recorded murders involving a knife or sharp instrument in the 12 months to March 2021.

Sure Geo. This very public murder of a high profile knighted politician is no worse than 44285 police recorded offences involving a knife or sharp instrument that didn't end in death.

Can't people just show some respect instead of political point scoring or making comparisons.

Which ever way you lean this is shocking news and shouldn't be happening to anyone just doing their job. I see counter terrorism police are involved this morning. 

R.I.P 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WV said:

Sure Geo. This very public murder of a high profile knighted politician is no worse than 44285 police recorded offences involving a knife or sharp instrument that didn't end in death.

Can't people just show some respect instead of political point scoring or making comparisons.

Which ever way you lean this is shocking news and shouldn't be happening to anyone just doing their job. I see counter terrorism police are involved this morning. 

R.I.P 

I started the post "As bad as this incident is"

It's posted in the political group of threads for discussion.

221 people died in a 12 month period due to stabbings.

It seems there is a sudden outrage in the news outlets that "someone famous" has been stabbed where as the 221 were just incidental, mentioned in passing. Suddenly parliament is showing an interest as opposed to it being just another statistic. The really sad thing is it is just another statistic.

Whether it's a terrorist attack or not I don't know but I would imagine at least some of the 221 would have been terrified. 

I remember a time when politicians were shamed and a scandal ensued because they were gay, I never understood why, if they do their job who gives a rat's ass. They are just people who do a high profile job. It's becoming a very strange world...... as opposed to the strange word it used to be..... no there were no good old days that I can remember.