OVF feature: Former Valiants: Askey linked with another managerial role

John Askey - AS Photos

Former Port Vale manager John Askey has been linked with the vacant AFC Telford manager’s role. Askey was sacked by the Valiants at the start of 2021 and has recently been working in an advisory role for former club Macclesfield Town. The Shropshire Star reports that Askey is keen on the role at Telford and […]

The post Former Valiants: Askey linked with another managerial role appeared first on onevalefan.co.uk.

View the full article

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, News Feed said:

John Askey - AS Photos

Former Port Vale manager John Askey has been linked with the vacant AFC Telford manager’s role. Askey was sacked by the Valiants at the start of 2021 and has recently been working in an advisory role for former club Macclesfield Town. The Shropshire Star reports that Askey is keen on the role at Telford and […]

The post Former Valiants: Askey linked with another managerial role appeared first on onevalefan.co.uk.

View the full article

Good luck to him.

• Like 1

I agree with the previous posters.  I hope he gets the job, it is a good fit for him with location and he knows that level well.  Telford are, in non-league terms, an under performer.  They should be higher, let's see.

Good luck to him

Whilst the football, and indeed everything about Vale is better than under his tenure, and I certainly don't miss his media work, it must be galling for him to see what structure Darrel now works within when in his time everyone at the club seemed to be stretched over many roles.  Not saying it would have been better (in fact, probably not) but surely he'll look onto a DoF and all the backroom support and wonder what he might have achieved in the same set up.  (he was a bit old fashioned he might contrarily not have wanted to as well)

Anyway - decent bloke, good luck to him and Telford

Edited by mattyboy

He did what he needed to with us; solidified us and got us moving upwards. He was a steady manager, probably needed as Carol was finding her feet as owner. At times we were pretty good. He reached his ceiling and recruitment/tactical inflexibility cost him but he could still go into a struggling League 2 club and do a similar job. Would be a good appointment for them. 

1 hour ago, mattyboy said:

Good luck to him

Whilst the football, and indeed everything about Vale is better than under his tenure, and I certainly don't miss his media work, it must be galling for him to see what structure Darrel now works within when in his time everyone at the club seemed to be stretched over many roles.  Not saying it would have been better (in fact, probably not) but surely he'll look onto a DoF and all the backroom support and wonder what he might have achieved in the same set up.  (he was a bit old fashioned he might contrarily not have wanted to as well)

Anyway - decent bloke, good luck to him and Telford

Can’t disagree with any of this apart from the football.  Depends on how you look at it, but my own recollection is that at its best the football was better under Askey than we’ve seen so far under DC.  Obviously the flip of this is that we weren’t always at our best. 😬

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Playa Amodores said:

I see JA has been installed as assistant manager at York City on a temporary basis. I’m not sure if he’s now out of the running for the Telford job.

Maybe an opportunity for Scott Burgess to go there again.

1 hour ago, SFBT said:

Maybe an opportunity for Scott Burgess to go there again.

I like what Scott did for us under JA, when partnered with J Taylor, so if that works for Scott, then he should go. Scott has also played for York before on loan. Good suggestion SFBT. Good luck to him if he does. 

Edited by Playa Amodores
  • Thanks 1