onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Barrow

Fosse69

Not relating to Covolan in just this one game but more generally, is it possible, subconsciously maybe, that some fans have got a little bit carried away in thinking we’ve signed a goalkeeper who was destined to become a superstar club legend, when in reality it’s more likely that we’ve signed a decent League 2 level keeper, no better or worse than that?

Ironically, we’ve seen already, the better players so far have been those where our expectations were lower.

Advert

Not relating to Covolan in just this one game but more generally, is it possible, subconsciously maybe, that some fans have got a little bit carried away in thinking we’ve signed a goalkeeper who was destined to become a superstar club legend, when in reality it’s more likely that we’ve signed a decent League 2 level keeper, no better or worse than that?
Ironically, we’ve seen already, the better players so far have been those where our expectations were lower.
I personally think that it's just the opposite. He got sent off in his first game (and a friendly at that) and some seem to have never forgiven him, nor will they. Plus he's completely different to Scott Brown, so the natural reaction seems to be 'we don't like this, we're not used to it'. If he was a monkey, he'd have been hanged by the people shouting loudest for him to be dropped

Just seen the highlights. Mistake fom Cov for the first on though he will have seen it late. I had appreciated the skill from Denis for his excellent equaliser but hadn’t appreciated fully the quality, first of the shot from Mal and more importantly his “switched on-ness” to net the rebound for the third- that was superb.

2 hours ago, Rampant Zebra said:

I am still here, I don't feel the need to keep putting myself in the firing line for having a different opinion to the happy clappers. 

Do you still have a different opinion on the players he has brought in and on DC and the management team then?

Anyone seeing Cov on football focus will want him to succeed. So far I would say, okay.  Not great but not bad and most of the poor goals have other factors. Like the unnecessary free kick and poor wall yesterday. I'd certainly stick with him.

When he arrived I wonder if he felt he had an el loco persona to live up to? Thankfully that has gone, he's looked calm recently. 

23 hours ago, Doha said:

Politic's first touch for his goal. Oh my god.

Yep - Politic's first touch was great...as was the ball out to the wing, and the cross in for the third goal. Wouldn't be too harsh on Covolan, either - the ball came through a bunch of legs, and low down, and he was fractionally late seeing it so getting down to it a little late. You'll see that from better keepers than ours!

Politics goal changed the course of that game it was brilliant .
Dc was brought up on a Mansfield housing estate ,no let up on Tuesday Vale you go for the 3 points they didn't feel sorry for us when they were battering us both games 7-0 on aggregate let's beat them and well tues .
I think Proctor will be out so id start with Walker in his place and push conlon up front with Wilson

21 hours ago, Iron Curtain said:

I find this really interesting… I genuinely don’t see any difference in his interviews this year vs last.

I think a lot of people over reacted last year and now they are realising it was a bit over the top?

Not having a go at you personally as I think a few will be in the same boat… but honestly, he hasn’t changed his interview style at all.

I think you're right - and they won't all have the stones to admit it! So - well done Andy Jones!

21 hours ago, Iron Curtain said:

I think this is part of the problem… judging him as “likeable” or not based on the 3 mins he gives to the press every few days, rather than how he treats people (players, reporters, supporters, staff behind the scenes all day every day) seems like a particularly poor way of judging someone’s character.

Also - do we want "!likeable" or "successful"?  I never liked Adams at press conferences!

A very, very healthy crowd against an 'unfashionable' opponent. 

Rome wasn't built in a day, but it already looks like the work put in by the owners since they arrived to engage the fanbase/local community is paying off. People see the direction we're heading and want to be part of the journey.

11 hours ago, philmpv said:
23 hours ago, werstayinup said:
Come on Doha that cant be right surely.....RZ told us he was a bully and how poor his man management was....we can ask him when he errrmmm next appears

I understand that he, and a number of other posters, are currently offline convalescing from knee replacement surgery

Hopefully they might find a backbone, too?

3 minutes ago, LancyTony said:

He has dived with his arms outstretched and the ball went between his hands...how TF is that "straight at him"?

Fair enough it was just slightly to his left. But you need to watch it again if you think it’s was a dive with outstretched arms. It was so close to being straight at him and he pushed it into the corner. There’s no defending him for conceding a goal like that. 

Archived